Just watched Jacksonville v Tampa on YouTube. First time I've seen an RL match in the US, so I apologise if this has been covered previously. I noticed the sticks appear to be about 5 metres behind the try line.  Could be many reasons, pitch dimensions etc. But, what happens when a penalty is taken? The ball bouncing off the posts, how can it still be in play? Is the penalty kick moved 5 metres forward to compensate. What happens if the ball doesn't go out of play? Seems an odd state of affairs!

I think the goalposts are one of the kess important things in developing countries. I have seen countless games played with 'imaginery' posts. The real points are.acored via tries, so goalposts do not matter much. But 5 metres back sounds like it could be easily accommodated. How often does it hit the post anyway?

23 hours ago, langpark said:

I think the goalposts are one of the kess important things in developing countries. I have seen countless games played with 'imaginery' posts. The real points are.acored via tries, so goalposts do not matter much. But 5 metres back sounds like it could be easily accommodated. How often does it hit the post anyway

That's all well and good. However , a number of points, it seems there's an inconsistency in the competition. And secondly you've not answered the query. Oh and as for kicks rebounding off the posts and crossbar, in my 55 years experience, quite often. Usually when it is at a critical score and the points matter. I do, also, accept that the US is in the development stage but from what I've seen, so far, is the competition, that includes Jacksonville, is on a par, if not better, than the amateur game in the UK. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot

Are the posts you are referring to the American Football type with a single upright? If so, aren’t they set so that the plane of the actual goal is above the try line with the posts leaning forward from the upright which is behind the try line (if you understand what I mean). New Hunslet actually used those kind of posts in the 1970s but they were outlawed by the RFL.

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Are the posts you are referring to the American Football type with a single upright? If so, aren’t they set so that the plane of the actual goal is above the try line with the posts leaning forward from the upright which is behind the try line (if you understand what I mean). New Hunslet actually used those kind of posts in the 1970s but they were outlawed by the RFL.

No, traditional H . The uprights are little shorter than you'd normally have. There was even padding around the bottom. It was as if the pitch was too long, or they'd decided to bring the try line forward. So the in goal area started 5 metres in front of the sticks.

• Thanks 1

Was it being played on an American Football pitch?

Should the ball hit the posts I should imagine there would be one of two scenarios happening;-

1 the ball is considered dead

2 play on as normal - if you are the defending team just make sure you recover the ball first!

4 hours ago, hw88 said:

Was it being played on an American Football pitch?

Should the ball hit the posts I should imagine there would be one of two scenarios happening;-

1 the ball is considered dead

2 play on as normal - if you are the defending team just make sure you recover the ball first!

It was an artificial soccer pitch. With H posts, I assume, that can double up for rugby, soccer and American football.

5 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

It was an artificial soccer pitch. With H posts, I assume, that can double up for rugby, soccer and American football.

When I used to manage the school soccer team we would occasionally play against schools with H posts. The rule was that if the ball hit the upright above the level of the crossbar the ball was dead and a goal kick given. I suspect that might happen in your scenario if the goals are set behind the tryline.