Greatest/Classic Sponsors on a Shirt

3 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Like an earlier poster, as soon as I saw this topic, 'ICI' popped in to my head. I'm not a Widnes fan, but this fits the bill perfectly.

RUGBY LEAGUE 1989-90. JONATHAN DAVIES. WIDNES Stock Photo - Alamy

No better match up than The Chemics & ICI

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On 05/02/2023 at 19:30, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

The wonderful Coventry Bears had a good relationship with a local McDonalds franchisee, and also a car dealership sponsor them.

The result was the McDonalds, BMW and MINI logos on their shirts.

That is 3 of the UKs top 20 brands on one shirt. Unbeatable ?!?

My 10 year old girl has McDonald's sponsor on her football shirt!

5 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Compaq.

This an old T Shirt I have.

Bulls Shirt_resized.jpg

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Exactly. it can be done as McDonalds are usually franchises owned by local businessmen. So why doesnt every club contact their local outlets, or better still why isnt a strategic offer discussed by the game as a whole?

Sponsorship, shirt or otherwise, should offer both parties something and not be a donation, or one-off hit that isn't repeated.

Years ago, i was involved working with LDV [previously Freight Rover], the van maker, on its sponsorship of the cup for third and fourth division football clubs. 

Under that sponsorship, dealers were paired with their local football club, allowed to drive vans around the perimiter or have them on display at the match. The FR badge was prominent on the programmes, and the local FR dealer had tickets to invite their customers to a game. it was a real package, and i always thought that something similar would happen with DACIA.

Seeing so many brands come on board and disappear is an indication of focusing on the sale of space on a shirt rather than a fuller partnership.

Edited by Tattersfieldtreiziste
spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

She would do as McDonald's sponsors grassroots community football in the UK, through the national FAs, and has done for about 20 years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

Years ago, i was involved working with LDV [previously Freight Rover], the van maker, on its sponsorship of the cup for third and fourth division football clubs. 

Under that sponsorship, dealers were paired with their local football club, allowed to drive vans around the perimiter or have them on display at the match. The FR badge was prominent on the programmes, and the local FR dealer had tickets to invite their customers to a game. it was a real package, and i always thought that something similar would happen with DACIA.

I still think of that competition as 'The LDV' and they must have ended their sponsorship years ago. Good job!

11 hours ago, Madrileño said:

👍 relevant. 

It is relevant as it shows that big sponsors can be achievable for all our teams  - especially if achieved through local franchisees (see Audi for Bradford Bulls)

I assume big companies might not need to pay as much as say Home Bargains though....each club would have to weigh up the money with potential damage to the clubs brand /effect the on sales of the shirts 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

5 hours ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

Exactly. it can be done as McDonalds are usually franchises owned by local businessmen. So why doesnt every club contact their local outlets, or better still why isnt a strategic offer discussed by the game as a whole?

Sponsorship, shirt or otherwise, should offer both parties something and not be a donation, or one-off hit that isn't repeated.

Seeing so many brands come on board and disappear is an indication of focusing on the sale of space on a shirt rather than a fuller partnership.

Agreed

On seperate note Gillette was a great sponsor for England 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco