Euro Group A

10 hours ago, langpark said:

Would love to see the England vs Serbia match played here, if they get drawn in the same group. Though I believe its nearest international airports (Belgrade, Skopje, Sofia) are all approx 3hrs away. Will surely deter a few from going. 

Deliberate move to ensure a Serb-only crowd?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If they cannot access a decent venue in Belgrade, then why not go elsewhere?

Also, the good thing is, RL already has a presence in the city. Leskovac has a team in the Serbian 2nd division and also Radnicki Nis are only 30 miles away. So there could be some long-term gains for the sport by taking some big matches there. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, langpark said:

Would love to see the England vs Serbia match played here, if they get drawn in the same group. Though I believe its nearest international airports (Belgrade, Skopje, Sofia) are all approx 3hrs away. Will surely deter a few from going. 

Has the draw been made or is this just based on a potential situation of being in the same group as England? 

36 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Has the draw been made or is this just based on a potential situation of being in the same group as England? 

No, the draw has not happened yet. I was just saying, England playing there would be good. But the more I think about it, the more I think it might be better playing someone like Scotland there. Still not a "winnable" match, vut will be less of a slaughter and hopefully a good experience for the home fans. 

The chances of being in England's group are 50%. I assume England and France will be in Pot 1. Serbia and Spain in Pot 4. Then Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Italy will make up potes 2 and 3. 

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, langpark said:

Tonight is the draw. No coverage I believe but they say it is happening at 7pm UK so hopefully ERL will announce it soon after. 

For Serbia’s sake I hope they’re not in the same group as England/Knights. They’ll get absolutely hammered.

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

For Serbia’s sake I hope they’re not in the same group as England/Knights. They’ll get absolutely hammered.

Well if it is not them, it will be Spain. So simar outcome really. Cricket score against either one of the. Hopefully the other matches will be a bit closer. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Is there even any RL being played in Spain currently?

Next to none, sadly. Greece would have been a far more logical option for Group A. 

...or even more logical. Remove Spain and Serbia and have the two groups of three format like they usually do. Serbia and Spain could then play in Group B, where they kind of belong. 

Edited by langpark
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie said:

If Serbia get some of there heritage players to commit they shouldn’t be as bad as some think 

There is little evidence to suggest that they will though. I would love to be proven wrong and I see no reason why Opacic and Cotric should not play. Neither one is in contention for Kangaroos selection. Unlike the Trbojevic brothers. 

Edited by langpark
  • Like 1

On 05/02/2023 at 06:36, gingerjon said:

Deliberate move to ensure a Serb-only crowd?

This would be sneaky. Engineer a situation where there were no away fans and use as a pretext to have us kicked out of the comp.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This would be sneaky. Engineer a situation where there were no away fans and use as a pretext to have us kicked out of the comp.

Why would anyone want us out of the comp, and why would we be kicked out of there were no away fans?

26 minutes ago, langpark said:

There is little evidence to suggest that they will though. I would love to be proven wrong and I see no reason why Opacic and Cotric should not play. Neither one is in contention for Kangaroos selection. Unlike the Trbojevic brothers. 

Ye there no chance the trobojevic boys will play (maybe ben?) but the likes of opacic and cotric would be good and with Jordan grant( Melbourne storm) and zane bijorac(rabbits) who have played for Serbia before and a few playing in nsw/ qld cup you’d have the nucleus of a decent side.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Next to none, sadly. Greece would have been a far more logical option for Group A. 

...or even more logical. Remove Spain and Serbia and have the two groups of three format like they usually do. Serbia and Spain could then play in Group B, where they kind of belong. 

I don’t understand how Spain are allowed to play in this tournament with no domestic games being played there. France will hammer them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I were to predict the outcome of each Group:

1. England 2. Ireland 3. Scotland 4. Serbia. 

1. France 2. Wales 3. Italy 4. Spain 

First group is easy. Second group is a lot harder. France, Wales and Italy are a lot harder to split. I am curious to see how many of Italy's top Aussie talent will commit to games like these (Paul Vaughan, Nathan Brown etc.). So there is a bit of an x-factor there. 

• Like 1