Euro Group A

44 minutes ago, Leonard said:

More than likely. I am sure once venues are firmed up they will get on it.

I am not sure the lack of Feb hype for an away game in Serbia is worth reading into.

You have more faith than me then. 

It doesn't need hype, but what about a generic "England will play X, Y & Z in this years Euro tournament....blah blah" They could say that it will be England Knights or even the under 16's, just say something.

Then people can decide if they want to go and maybe book time off work etc. Based on current information, I don't know if I'd commit to booking anything in anticipation of this. In fact I wouldn't.

19 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

You have more faith than me then. 

It doesn't need hype, but what about a generic "England will play X, Y & Z in this years Euro tournament....blah blah" They could say that it will be England Knights or even the under 16's, just say something.

Then people can decide if they want to go and maybe book time off work etc. Based on current information, I don't know if I'd commit to booking anything in anticipation of this. In fact I wouldn't.

The draw was only made yesterday, there’s plenty of time to make arrangements. The Serbian RL may not know where the game will be played yet anyway. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They’re just hopeless at social media I think, the RFL still do their business by carrier pigeon. 

That’s a cop out. 

They were tweeting about Kallum Watkins signing a new deal at Salford, tweeted about England players performances over the weekend and have today wished a women’s player a happy birthday on the England page. The RFL have been active over the past 24 hours. 

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The draw was only made yesterday, there’s plenty of time to make arrangements. The Serbian RL may not know where the game will be played yet anyway. 

They don't have to announce venues etc, just that it's taking place. 

As someone has pointed out they are live, so I don't see why it was so difficult to announce this. 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's fine though tbh, for all parties. But Shaun Wane will be sat twiddling his thumbs...

It's exactly the right thing for this tournament. No complaints from me on that score.

However ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Confirmation that it will be a "Knights type squad" ...

Yeah, which suggests England will also be playing someone else as well. No reason why Shaun Wane can't have a squad called up to play both "Tier 1 nation" and these matches at the same time and not devalue these matches before we've started. 

England vs. Ireland you can sell. England Knights vs. Ireland less so.

• Like 1

I bet this is the reason England have shunned it: The plan is to send a Knights team, but if they are left without an opponent (all decent southern hemisphere nations make plans of their own) then they will fall back on this and send their full team. 

2 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

BBC Sport have nothing on their pages either. You'd think the organisers would have let them know?

They probably have, the BBC would never lower themselves to writing about this when there’s women’s football to fill their sports section. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

BBC Sport have nothing on their pages either. You'd think the organisers would have let them know?

Do they cover the draws of many amateur sports competitions?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, langpark said:

That article says that a domestic quota ruling requires four of the match 17 to have been raised in the nation’s own system. Based on comments in this thread, do people think Spain can meet that?

Edited by Barley Mow

4 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

That article says that a domestic quota ruling requires four of the match 17 to have been raised in the nation’s own system. Based on comments in this thread, do people think Spain can meet that?

Personally, no but I’m sure a blind eye will be turned.

33 minutes ago, langpark said:

Simple solution, grab 4 blokes from union. That is definitely what Spain and Italy will do. 

True but again they wouldn’t have come through the nations’ own systems. Still, Scotland have been getting away with not meeting the requirements for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Spain played the Dutch in Madrid back in September.

Not 100% on this but Im sure they had none of their French based players in the squad ...so yes four from their own system (whatever that may be) should not be a problem.

If Spain did use their French based players then look out for some massive scores because the Dutch turned them over 30-36 and the "Oranje" are still years off being anywhere near European A standard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1