Euro Group A

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

This is total madness, France should be playing England in 2 tests (home and away) every year Wales 1 match v France and everything else should be taken over by the amateurs.

The pressure is on for France. If Wales manage to topple them, they will miss the Grand Final, which going to be happening in France. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Think there should be a NH group above the Euros for France, England, Lebanon and Wales

I don't consider Lebanon to be a "northern hemisphere" team. I don't think they have much interest in being one either. The last time they played a match in Lebanon was 2017. Prior to that, 2011. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, langpark said:

I don't consider Lebanon to be a "northern hemisphere" team. I don't think they have much interest in being one either. The last time they played a match in Lebanon was 2017. Prior to that, 2011. 

They’re representing their heritage which is a northern hemisphere country. Could play a couple of games in Lebanon. 

France, Wales, Lebanon and England would be much more competitive than the current Euro A.

It also gives Lebanon the chance to play some competitive games and I think the players would like the chance to do that rather than just a WC every 4 years

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Would love to know what happens in 2024 for the teams that qualify for the World Cup out of the Euros.

As always, RL can’t seem to see past it’s nose in terms of planning what’s ahead.

Something along the lines of…

”The two additional teams that qualify for RLWC2025 will be involved in an Atlantic Cup tournament featuring England, France and the two qualifying nations from the Americas Cup in 2023”

There you go. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 19:15, langpark said:

The same could be said for Italy couldnt it? Not sure when they last played at home but with one (?) club and a load of Australians showing up for the WC every four years I wouldn’t have them anywhere near this Euro comp. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The same could be said for Italy couldnt it? Not sure when they last played at home but with one (?) club and a load of Australians showing up for the WC every four years I wouldn’t have them anywhere near this Euro comp. 

You are right. But the key difference is Italy are forced to play games as part of their WC qualification route via Europe. (So I believe their last home game was 2019) Lebanon, being in the Middle-East Africa group, have had a free pass, and basically only needed to beat South Africa once every 4 years to get their WC spot. 

So that aside, they had no "mandatory" fixture obligations, so rarely play and when they do, it is always in Sydney. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

They apparently have to have four players who came through the local system (whatever that means). I’m sure four from the Edinburgh Eagles would fit the bill.

You need to be a product of that country's domestic league. It is a good rule and countries should be relishing it rather than scrambling to explore all possible loopholes. 

Yes, Edinburgh Eagles I would say will be the most likely source. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, langpark said:

You need to be a product of that country's domestic league. It is a good rule and countries should be relishing it rather than scrambling to explore all possible loopholes. 

Yes, Edinburgh Eagles I would say will be the most likely source. 

EE play in the north east league because of a lack of opponents in Scotland. Does that equate to a domestic league?

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

That is for Affiliate membership with ERL and IRL. A separate issue entirely. 

How can it be a separate issue?  If countries don't qualify to be members of ERL and IRL, how can they be eligible to a competition like this one???

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Find 4 more players from the M62 with Scottish grandparents. 

That does not get around the requirement, which was my point.

The requirement being discussed, is 4 out of the 17 raised in that country's own "system". I cannot see how Scotland gets a team out under these rules. 

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

How can it be a separate issue?  If countries don't qualify to be members of ERL and IRL, how can they be eligible to a competition like this one???

Come on. I know you are not new around here. There are loads of nations that do not even meet criteria to be affiliate members, yet are somehow full members. The criteria is there, but not enforced. 

So if this 4 domestic player policy gets enforced, at least that will be progress.

51 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

That does not get around the requirement, which was my point.

The requirement being discussed, is 4 out of the 17 raised in that country's own "system". I cannot see how Scotland gets a team out under these rules. 

As long as Edinburgh Eagles remain active, they can. Italy and Spain are the real concern here. Who I can only assume will simply get 4 ring-ins from rugby union. 

4 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

So... every Scotland team from now on will have 4 guys from Edinburgh Eagles in the 17?

Seriously?

If they are the only active team, then yes. What exactly is the problem? Like I say, Spain and Italy currently have zero active RL clubs. 

Also I must give credit to ERL for even having these quotas. Asia-Pacific do not even bother in their competitions, and the likes of Tonga and Samoa seem immune from any criticism on the matter. 

PS: Glasgow: https://www.facebook.com/GlasgowRL 

And Aberdeen: https://www.facebook.com/AberdeenWarriors 

Both seem to be making genuine efforts to get their teams running again. Fingers crossed.  

Edited by langpark
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, langpark said:

If they are the only active team, then yes. What exactly is the problem? Like I say, Spain and Italy currently have zero active RL clubs. 

Also I must give credit to ERL for even having these quotas. 

The problem is, Scotland's team will be full of players from Yorkshire in reality. There is no way that from now on, every Scotland team will have 4 players in the 17 from Edinburgh Eagles, an amateur team. The "rule" will get ignored, as they always do. 

24 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

The problem is, Scotland's team will be full of players from Yorkshire in reality. There is no way that from now on, every Scotland team will have 4 players in the 17 from Edinburgh Eagles, an amateur team. The "rule" will get ignored, as they always do. 

For World Cups, there is no such rule. For Euro competitions there always has been. Euro Group A was previously 2/17 and that has now increased to 4.

Euro Group B is 10/17 and Group C is 13/17.

Again I don't see what the problem is. Every country has to do it, so no country really gains an advantage from it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

It can. Lebanon have a small domestuc set up. Pretty sure their WC squad had 3 players from the domestic comp. Lebanon should be in Europe and not lumped in with Africa. Turkey may partly be in Europe but they are closer to Lebanon than any of the African countries.