Wighton and Mitchell Arrested

The last time Wighton was arrested celebrating his birthday it was for assaulting 5 members of the public.  This time he was only fighting a teammate.  A clear sign of a growing maturity... well done him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

59 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The last time Wighton was arrested celebrating his birthday it was for assaulting 5 members of the public.  This time he was only fighting a teammate.  A clear sign of a growing maturity... well done him.

Should punching Latrell Mitchell actually be an offence? :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aussie ones.

Mind you, Aussies in general can't. 

2 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Rugby League players historically, just can't handle their ale can they.

9 hours ago, Copa said:

Some witnesses say they were having a stupid wrestle when the police intervened and everything escalated.

That seems to be what actually happened according to reports in today`s papers. And let`s face it these are two young men who would be in absolute top physical condition after a tough pre-season, jumping out of their skins who have been practising tackling, being tackled and wrestling in readiness to play probably the most physically demanding sport in the world, fill them up with alcohol and we wonder why they get into a wrestle with their mates. Not great but not a hanging offence.

BTW bumped into big Trell with his family down by the Manning River one evening last week during my evening bike ride, that is one big powerful unit and friendly to boot.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

That seems to be what actually happened according to reports in today`s papers. And let`s face it these are two young men who would be in absolute top physical condition after a tough pre-season, jumping out of their skins who have been practising tackling, being tackled and wrestling in readiness to play probably the most physically demanding sport in the world, fill them up with alcohol and we wonder why they get into a wrestle with their mates. Not great but not a hanging offence.

BTW bumped into big Trell with his family down by the Manning River one evening last week during my evening bike ride, that is one big powerful unit and friendly to boot.

I agree that there doesn't seem to have been much in this incident.

But on a wider note.  Seeing as you have underlined 'young', Jack Wighton is 30 years old, at what age does being young stop being a mitigating factor for acting a bit daft?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Good to see league is learning the 'high jinks' defence from rugby union.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Seen a selfie they took together before the incident....

Both grinning with HALVES of lager 🤣

ah so the article is wrong.. they weren't arrested for wrestling they were arrested for this utterly heinous of crimes.. and well they should!

throw the book at them.. throw the key away as well to be sure!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that there doesn't seem to have been much in this incident.

But on a wider note.  Seeing as you have underlined 'young', Jack Wighton is 30 years old, at what age does being young stop being a mitigating factor for acting a bit daft?

It`s an interesting question because often the way we view ourselves is a lot different to the way society considers people of a certain age should behave. It would appear that perhaps you view 30 as being too old for the situation that Wighton got himself into.

But I`d reiterate that super fit young men, hormones, celebrity status and probably a blood system full of sugar (from their bourbon and cokes) and alcohol make these situations a little different from the rest of us.

6 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s an interesting question because often the way we view ourselves is a lot different to the way society considers people of a certain age should behave. It would appear that perhaps you view 30 as being too old for the situation that Wighton got himself into.

But I`d reiterate that super fit young men, hormones, celebrity status and probably a blood system full of sugar (from their bourbon and cokes) and alcohol make these situations a little different from the rest of us.

I am not particularly judgmental on this.  I don't think I was a particularly mature 30 year old.. I was still acting daft.  I think there are loads of factors in how quickly someone matures, probably the biggest one is when you start a family and realise you have to be more sensible (no idea if Wighton has a family).

But I was just thinking about if someone had done something silly at work (a Christmas party for example when things can get daft).  I wouldn't have taken 30 as an excuse for young and reckless. 

I think this might be the time to put this out there .....  Should IMG actually break through RL's glass ceiling stoies like this might become the norm.

We've already had a taste of this with RL's Helen Skelton and that bloke from Leeds.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political