WCC: Saints v Panthers only a couple of weeks away

Feels like this is really upon us now we are seeing photos coming out of the Saints training camp and have the St George friendly this weekend.

I was concerned at the end of last season about whether we would see players who had been carrying fairly serious knocks in the squad but looks like the likes of Dodd, Lomax, Walmsley and Percy will be good to go which is a relief.

I ventured onto the Panthers forum on leagueunlimited and there were the usual smattering of disrespectful comments including:

"When Brodie Croft is the best player in the comp there are huge issues"

"It's great to see the culture at the club. But I was kinda looking forward to watching our reserve grade side prove they're better than the best Super League teams.

"NSW Cup would flog them anyway, No point risking anyone"

Amongst some more reasonable comments it has to be said.

I think Saints will give a good account of themselves and the SL.  One thing that does concern me slightly is weather conditions - what will it be like by KO in Penrith, I imagine still very warm to be stepping up in intensity.

Are Saints on for a hiding do we think?

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Can we not move it to the Reebok stadium in Bolton and second half sleet conditions?

It would certainly help!  Ahhh, Newlove skinning Wendell Sailor for that Joynt try (and dirty Tallis with the afters on Joynty).

That was a brilliant game of RL.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Well, I’m glad the Panthers players and club are taking it seriously, with a number returning from the World Cup early to be a part of it. 

I can’t envisage a better way of winning it than going to Australia and doing it in their own backyard, however unlikely that actually is. 

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Well, I’m glad the Panthers players and club are taking it seriously, with a number returning from the World Cup early to be a part of it. 

I can’t envisage a better way of winning it than going to Australia and doing it in their own backyard, however unlikely that actually is. 

Maybe it will be like when Wigan beat the Broncos ag suncorp, no one gave them a chance. Anyway I (even as a wire) will be cheering them on no matter how much it sticks in my throat. 

• Like 1

Its unlikely to happen given one of their 2 games is against the Penrith pussies for the WCC, but they have a chance of pocketing an extra $100K on top of their fees for taking part in the WCC. The most entertaining team over the 2 round competition pockets the extra prize money. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

15 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

What has Penrith’s player turnover been like? 

I think we’ve only lost Grace and with Dodd and Walmsley back are better on paper than the back end of last year. If our forwards can mix it, we’ll give a decent account of ourselves. 

Their 2 big losses are Kikau & Koroisau, other than that its pretty much the team they had from last year.

• Thanks 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Huge task facing St Helens,Penrith have been near unbeatable on their own ground for the last 3 years.

Not having Kikau rampaging on a edge & the clever play around the ruck from Koroisau will be big misses for Penrith & Saints have the physicality to match them in the forwards but I fancy they will be still to strong for Saints & will runout 16 point winners.

Edited by Davo5
  • Sad 1

If Saints win, and I hope they do:

The Aussie press will spend a few coloumn inches saying the Panthers were under done, betraying their arrogance.

If the Panthers win the digger media will spend more coulmn yards shouting about their supriority and selling us down the river, giving away their disdain.

looking forward to it

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Ahhh, Newlove skinning Wendell Sailor for that Joynt try (and dirty Tallis with the afters on Joynty).

Unfortunately a lot of English rugby league fans still live in that era. (Or at least cling to it, desperately). 

The NRL (along with the rest of the sporting world) has moved on a lot in 25 years. 

Edited by Madrileño
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

If Saints win, and I hope they do:

The Aussie press will spend a few coloumn inches saying the Panthers were under done, betraying their arrogance.

If the Panthers win the digger media will spend more coulmn yards shouting about their supriority and selling us down the river, giving away their disdain.

looking forward to it

True enough but if they are underdone it will be their own fault as Saints have only played 1 friendly game and rested most of their World Cup contingent so really both sides will have a hit out each on Saturday then the big match the week after.

I would be very surprised if Saints got within 10 next week but this week I can see them winning potentially if things go well early on.

• Like 1

Anyone who says saints aren't a very very good team dont know RL. However they are playing one of the best NRL teams of the past 25 years in their own back yard so if Saints win it would be a huge shock - but with some true world class players like Roby, Walmsley and Makemson they could just do it.

If Saints can keep it tight into the back end of the 2nd half they could sneak it as they do know how to win against top teams in tight games, but Penrith could get a couple of early 2nd half trys and the heat could kick in and they wilt away - very intresting to see how this goes.

Penrith can't seem to beat SL champions so maybe they will fold again.

Cant wait for this one - love the WCC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Anyone who says saints aren't a very very good team dont know RL. However they are playing one of the best NRL teams of the past 25 years in their own back yard so if Saints win it would be a huge shock - but with some true world class players like Roby, Walmsley and Makemson they could just do it.

If Saints can keep it tight into the back end of the 2nd half they could sneak it as they do know how to win against top teams in tight games, but Penrith could get a couple of early 2nd half trys and the heat could kick in and they wilt away - very intresting to see how this goes.

Penrith can't seem to beat SL champions so maybe they will fold again.

Cant wait for this one - love the WCC.

‘As they know how to win against top teams’ - Saints may well know how to win against ‘top teams’ in SL but that doesn’t really count for much in this game as those top teams (Wigan, Leeds etc) wouldn’t be top teams in the NRL unfortunately. It’s like saying that as Leigh know how to beat top Championship teams that means they have a good chance against Saints. 

Saints are a great team but I really struggle to see how they beat Penrith. In saying that I predict they give a really good account of themselves.

Happy to be proven wrong.

13 hours ago, RL Sutton Coldfield said:

Hate Saints but I hope they stuff Penrith. For the good of the game. 

Pretty much my view but I don't really hate Saints....just hate them winning SL constantly .....I do hate that cheat Morgan Knowles though....they effectively cheated the last title so it doesn't count 

• Haha 3

Saints have named a full strength team for their first round pre-season challenge match against St George.

Meanwhile Penrith have gone for a full reserve grade line up against the Eels so they seem confident they don't need a warm up for the match.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Saints have named a full strength team for their first round pre-season challenge match against St George.

Meanwhile Penrith have gone for a full reserve grade line up against the Eels so they seem confident they don't need a warm up for the match.

Good news - more fool them.