WCC: Saints v Panthers only a couple of weeks away

34 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

WTF do they expect?? It is a second rate competition.  Half of the SL Dream Team is made up of NRL has-beens and guys who couldn't cut it at that level. 

I actually expect them to do well in the game, as Penrith are likely to treat it as a run out against lower level opposition. 

Which players BTW? 

If Penrith are likely to treat the game as a mere preseason runout why did the raft of Penrith players involved in the World Cup report back early with the rest of the squad ?

35 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

WTF do they expect?? It is a second rate competition.  Half of the SL Dream Team is made up of NRL has-beens and guys who couldn't cut it at that level. 

I actually expect them to do well in the game, as Penrith are likely to treat it as a run out against lower level opposition. 

Which players BTW? 

Just a question, who out of saints would in your opinion get in Penriths side. 

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That's just not a true representation of how it is and you either know that and are just trolling or you don't...and don't know what you're talking about. 

No sane minded person would argue SL is better than the NRL - that doesn't make it second rate. 

NRL 'has-beens' - yeah that can be a thing sometimes but they quickly get found out, followed by a story about feeling homesick. In other news plenty come here, do well, then head back to the NRL. 

That old adage that they'll treat as trial game will only stack up if they play fringe/young players. If it's near their full team then there's no such thing as friendly in RL - they'll both be going for it. 

To be absolutely clear: The result of this trial game will not determine whether Super league is second rate or not.

A poster said the aussies are calling it that, and I happen to agree with them.

All of the Dream Team backline for this year apart from Wellsby, are guys who could not make it in the NRL or are now too old and slow for first grade NRL.

They are the best players in your league. That is why I agree with Australian sentiment. Their league now has virtually all the best players in the world. As I said to the raving bigot who called me a an "inbred bogan" earlier, "feel free to disagree". It's an Internet forum. Everyone is allowed an opinion, although some individuals struggle to grasp that. 

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Well, am not a Penrith fan, but I think  the best St Helens players would be in the mix for the Penrith 17. So perhaps Roby and Knowles could be involved as starters/interchange depending on how the coach wanted to play. Roby is 37, so no disgrace in saying he would struggle to start for the champions. Walmsley is a big bruising Super League middle, but may struggle with the pace of the NRL. So... he could be a possible interchange option. 

Welsby is definitely one of St Helens better players IMO and could start for some NRL teams, but is miles behind Cleary as a 6. 

We need to remember - St Helens are far ahead of almost all other Super League clubs. My comment was about the league as a whole, not about St Helens

Only my opinion though. Who do you feel would make the Penrith team? 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

Well, am not a Penrith fan, but I think  the best St Helens players would be in the mix for the Penrith 17. So perhaps Roby and Knowles could be involved as starters/interchange depending on how the coach wanted to play. Roby is 37, so no disgrace in saying he would struggle to start for the champions. Walmsley is a big bruising Super League middle, but may struggle with the pace of the NRL. So... he could be a possible interchange option. 

Welsby is definitely one of St Helens better players IMO and could start for some NRL teams, but is miles behind Cleary as a 6. 

We need to remember - St Helens are far ahead of almost all other Super League clubs. My comment was about the league as a whole, not about St Helens

Only my opinion though. Who do you feel would make the Penrith team? 

Five 

Welsby full back 

Makinson wing

Walmsley prop

Roby hooker 

Knowles Lf/bench 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I've no idea.

They were contractually obliged to? 

Their contracts states they have a set offseason & includes end of season rep games,the players chose to waiver it & return early,hardly the act of players treating the WCC as a runout.

31 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

to be fair Hardaker went over to the panthers as reigning man of steel and in his prime age wise and hardly got a sniff of a starting spot and that's before they were the dominant force they are now - but this is sport and just like most leeds utd fans were preparing for a spanking last night against man u on their forum - lets have some hope and faith instead - cmon Saints 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

to be fair Hardaker went over to the panthers as reigning man of steel and in his prime age wise and hardly got a sniff of a starting spot and that's before they were the dominant force they are now - but this is sport and just like most leeds utd fans were preparing for a spanking last night against man u on their forum - lets have some hope and faith instead - cmon Saints 

Very few forwards fail. The 2 backs, makinson has proved himself at international level and Welsby is a talent full back in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

To be absolutely clear: The result of this trial game will not determine whether Super league is second rate or not.

A poster said the aussies are calling it that, and I happen to agree with them.

All of the Dream Team backline for this year apart from Wellsby, are guys who could not make it in the NRL or are now too old and slow for first grade NRL.

They are the best players in your league. That is why I agree with Australian sentiment. Their league now has virtually all the best players in the world. As I said to the raving bigot who called me a an "inbred bogan" earlier, "feel free to disagree". It's an Internet forum. Everyone is allowed an opinion, although some individuals struggle to grasp that. 

Regarding the abuse someone gave you on here- wernt you calling all UK RL towns Backwards and deprived areas last week..... despite coming from NZ 🤣🤣 

There have been plenty of NRL superstars who have struggled to adapt to SL and the same the other way - it is what it is. The NRL currently have most of the best players as they tend to pay more money - however anyone who says the likes of Roby, Walmsley, Makinson and Knowles arnt some of the best on the world lives in cookoo land.

The winner of the WCC will go down in history as the best team for that year - Penrith have never won the WCC as they were well beaten by SL clubs in both their previous matches - no one now cares if in those matches that SL at that time had better teams and players or if any of the teams had players missing - the results stand.

If Penrith are a top team they should be looking to win the biggest prize in club RL - embrace it like the Roosters do and who were proud to go above Wigan with the most wins.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Regarding the abuse someone gave you on here- wernt you calling all UK RL towns Backwards and deprived areas last week..... despite coming from NZ 🤣🤣 

No. 

I did not refer to anywhere as "backwards". I think it was yourself referring to Spain that way. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Madrileño said:

I've no idea.

They were contractually obliged to? 

The exact opposite. 

The NRL player agreements stipulate a minimum off season requirement for players which is why end of season internationals are disliked by NRL clubs.  It is not because of the end of the last season, it is because it impacts on the following pre-season as internationals get the additional weeks as their off season started later.

The Panthers internationals have decided to forfeit a week of this contracted off season to play in the World Club Challenge. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I expect Penrith will beat St Helens easily but that's not the point really.

No way would any NRL team postpone their first NRL game to travel across the world to play St Helens and no way would another NRL club stand aside passively as Huddersfield have done to accommodate it.

Starting the Super League season with a fixture missing and a fixture involving the reigning champions at that. Well it totally undermines our competition.

This is nothing other than an ego trop for St Helens which they will surely come to regret. Most likely they will lose to Penrith and find themselves struggling to get up to speed in the first weeks of the season just as Wigan did a few years back.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

I expect Penrith will beat St Helens easily but that's not the point really.

No way would any NRL team postpone their first NRL game to travel across the world to play St Helens and no way would another NRL club stand aside passively as Huddersfield have done to accommodate it.

Starting the Super League season with a fixture missing and a fixture involving the reigning champions at that. Well it totally undermines our competition.

This is nothing other than an ego trop for St Helens which they will surely come to regret. Most likely they will lose to Penrith and find themselves struggling to get up to speed in the first weeks of the season just as Wigan did a few years back.

Or they could be world champions  - now wouldn't that boost their egos.....

As far as the NRL goes the Roosters have always been big supporters of the WCC and are very proud of their record wins, Souths were up for it all those years ago under Crowe and Burgess at the chance to be World Champions.  Some NRL clubs do get the prize and the prestige- not all, but you can bet Penrith won't want a record of 3 losses and no wins in this comp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

That's quite an indictment MF, is it a majority?

Probably not - but the record books will show which clubs embrace this game and its prize - im a Roosters member and attended games each season when I'm in Oz for work and the Aussie fans love call themselves the most successful RL team in the world based on their WCC record - that's how it should be - seen as the pinnacle of club RL.

At the moment Penrith have a poor record and have never been able to call themselves the best team in the world.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Probably not - but the record books will show which clubs embrace this game and its prize - im a Roosters member and attended games each season when I'm in Oz for work and the Aussie fans love call themselves the most successful RL team in the world based on their WCC record - that's how it should be - seen as the pinnacle of club RL.

At the moment Penrith have a poor record and have never been able to call themselves the best team in the world.

I'm gald it's not a majority because I'd hate to think the whole of the NRL was stupid and short sighted.

And it has been very clear which clubs have been enthusiastic about what is a fantastic idea for a TGG event.

From what I've seen Saints and the Panthers like to stragle the life out of the opposition's efforts so I think it should be intriguing from that angle alone.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Five 

Welsby full back 

Makinson wing

Walmsley prop

Roby hooker 

Knowles Lf/bench 

Welsby (who very good) over Dylan Edwards is a bit of a stretch for me. Edwards was the Panthers player of year in 2022 and is probably a top 5 NRL fullback. To suggest Welsby currently would be a top 5 fullback is a bit over the top at this point in time.

I’d add one of Sione Matatuia/Joe Batchelor to your list as the Panthers have lost Kikau. I believe Luke Garner is his replacement who is pretty unproven.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AB90 said:

Welsby (who very good) over Dylan Edwards is a bit of a stretch for me. Edwards was the Panthers player of year in 2022 and is probably a top 5 NRL fullback. To suggest Welsby currently would be a top 5 fullback is a bit over the top at this point in time.

I’d add one of Sione Matatuia/Joe Batchelor to your list as the Panthers have lost Kikau. I believe Luke Garner is his replacement who is pretty unproven.

I know we will disagree but even though I am a Warrington fan Welsby is the most talented back I have seen come through over here for years. It is hard to compare competitions and sides but if the players swapped clubs you may have to eat your words(in my opinion). 

19 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I know we will disagree but even though I am a Warrington fan Welsby is the most talented back I have seen come through over here for years. It is hard to compare competitions and sides but if the players swapped clubs you may have to eat your words(in my opinion). 

That’s a more than fair opinion. Give it time and I think Welsby can get there (when he’s 24, 25, 26 etc) but not yet (imo). 

Top 5 NRL fullback is an exceptionally hard list to crack. We are talking breaking into a list with Tedesco, Trbojevic, Mitchell, Ponga, Papenhuyzen, Tuivasa Sheck (when he was in league) etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AB90 said:

That’s a more than fair opinion. Give it time and I think Welsby can get there (when he’s 24, 25, 26 etc) but not yet (imo). 

Top 5 NRL fullback is an exceptionally hard list to crack. We are talking breaking into a list with Tedesco, Trbojevic, Mitchell, Ponga, Papenhuyzen, Tuivasa Sheck (when he was in league) etc.

Theres been several articles in the recent past about quite a few of our players turning down NRL offers. I think I have recently read articles from Makinson, Lomax and Knowles, but one of the more detailed ones has just come out from Roby: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/saint-james-why-english-legend-passed-on-playing-nrl-twice-20230210-p5cjhz.html. The most interesting comment;

When I was younger, the money wasn’t too different [between the two competitions], and I was happy being a hometown lad. The money now is vastly different, and if I was 20 years old again, maybe I would have made a different decision.

Whether they would get into Penrith specifically I don't know, but Saints seem to have done an incredible job in retaining so many of their players in the face of many offers from the NRL. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Or they could be world champions  - now wouldn't that boost their egos.....

As far as the NRL goes the Roosters have always been big supporters of the WCC and are very proud of their record wins, Souths were up for it all those years ago under Crowe and Burgess at the chance to be World Champions.  Some NRL clubs do get the prize and the prestige- not all, but you can bet Penrith won't want a record of 3 losses and no wins in this comp.

Not everyone in the NRL should be tarred with the same brush as the Penrith Pussies. Clubs like the Roosters, Storm, Bunnies & Bronco's are big supporters of this competition and look forward to the chance to play against the SL champions and earn the title of the best club side in the world.

Its the winging clubs like the Penrith pussies and whining a****s like Gould who constantly slate the competition that cause all the issues and generate the ill feeling.

Edited by Saint Toppy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not everyone in the NRL should be tarred with the same brush as the Penrith Pussies. Clubs like the Roosters, Storm, Bunnies & Bronco's are big supporters of this competition and look forward to the chance to play against the SL champions and earn the title of the best club side in the world.

Its the winging clubs like the Penrith pussies and whining a****s like Gould who constantly slate the competition that cause all the issues and generate the ill feeling.

9c38a64393320b09fd219110c088655f6a7781345e1fce5ba8136dd5ce78793c (1)~3.jpg

• Confused 1