Leeds Rhinos Captain

Holbrook introduced a 'hybrid' system at Saints which has subsequently been carried on by Woolf and now Wellens. They have a team captain (Roby) but also have a leadership team (which I think currently is Lomax, LMS, Makinson & Walmsley) and the whole group meets with the coaching team every week.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

A single captain is probably a bit of an anachronism in the modern game. All players at the high levels are working to fairly intricate game plans and the coaching team have well coordinated approaches to getting tactical messages out onto the field quickly.

Of course every team needs its leaders and people with leadership qualities, but there's no reason why this cannot be a group of people.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

30 minutes ago, The storm said:

Hetherington has lost the plot getting rid of edwards

I fear leeds will struggle badly this year 

Have you actually seen Edwards play?

He’s a good young kid but Im not sure Leeds chances in SL depended on him. He was probably 6th choice centre hence him wanting to leave.

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

He’s a good young kid but Im not sure Leeds chances in SL depended on him. He was probably 6th choice centre hence him wanting to leave.

He was a genuine center though reminded me of a young Callum Watkins, who are the 5 "centers" in front of him? 

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes i have seen him play. 

And now with max simpson being out for the year the decision making process looks flawed

But time will tell

• Like 1

Smith made clear that as a rule he doesn't like picking teenagers. He certainly managed Gannon a lot more carefully than his predecessor. That's part of it. The other part's quite simple - Edwards doesn't look physically ready for SL yet. Comparisons with Watkins are interesting - he was physically far closer to the finished article at 17 than Edwards is at 19. 

We look a bit short right now, but we've known we'll be without Newman and MacDonald for a few weeks. Once they come back (and touch wood stay fit) we'll be overloaded for centres.

Edwards wants first team games but he's behind Newman, MacDonald, Olpherts, Roberts and Martin and probably behind Handley and even McDonnell (he'd be well behind Simpson as well if he wasn't injured). That doesn't mean they're all great options, but he isn't ready. If he was ripping it up in preseason do you think Leeds would have let him go? And even if they did, would he have signed for York - surely if he was in any way impressive someone else in SL would give him a go?

On 07/02/2023 at 15:04, The storm said:

Smith has gone WOKE down walkabout creek

Not naming a captain is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of in my rugby league life

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".

Come again?

Edited by Tim Streets tache

3 hours ago, DACS said:

Smith made clear that as a rule he doesn't like picking teenagers. He certainly managed Gannon a lot more carefully than his predecessor. That's part of it. The other part's quite simple - Edwards doesn't look physically ready for SL yet. Comparisons with Watkins are interesting - he was physically far closer to the finished article at 17 than Edwards is at 19. 

We look a bit short right now, but we've known we'll be without Newman and MacDonald for a few weeks. Once they come back (and touch wood stay fit) we'll be overloaded for centres.

Edwards wants first team games but he's behind Newman, MacDonald, Olpherts, Roberts and Martin and probably behind Handley and even McDonnell (he'd be well behind Simpson as well if he wasn't injured). That doesn't mean they're all great options, but he isn't ready. If he was ripping it up in preseason do you think Leeds would have let him go? And even if they did, would he have signed for York - surely if he was in any way impressive someone else in SL would give him a go?

I don't get this, Newman is a center Simpson a center all the rest are wingers and second row and established in those positions. 

44 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

I don't get this, Newman is a center Simpson a center all the rest are wingers and second row and established in those positions. 

Macdonald played centre for Leigh, PNG and at Norths Devils where Rohan Smith was coach.

Edwards simply wasn’t going to get much game time, the comparison with Watkins is way off, if he was as good as Watkins was at his age he wouldn’t be going to York.

Kallum Watkins was in the first team at 17/18

5 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".

Come again?

You don't want to go down that rabbit hole ... 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Macdonald played centre for Leigh, PNG and at Norths Devils where Rohan Smith was coach.

Edwards simply wasn’t going to get much game time, the comparison with Watkins is way off, if he was as good as Watkins was at his age he wouldn’t be going to York.

Mcdonald also played wing for the above mentioned also I said Edwards reminded me of a young Watkins with his movement and timing unfortunately not as athletically gifted as Watkins.

18 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Doesn't say much about our youth policy binning off Edwards and recruiting the likes of Olpherts,also I never said Edwards was as good Watkins but he has potential and hope he kicks on.

1 hour ago, Tippytoe said:

Doesn't say much about our youth policy binning off Edwards and recruiting the likes of Olpherts,also I never said Edwards was as good Watkins but he has potential and hope he kicks on.

Olpherts and Edwards aren’t comparable, Edwards hasn’t played any SL, we need experience cover aswell as youth you can’t just chuck kids in week in week out.

Our youth system is fine we’ve seen loads of them in Pre Season and dime of them have looked excellent (Edwards didn’t particularly shine as it happens) but Rohan Smith doesn’t like putting teenagers in the firing line. 

Edwards has potential and I wish him well but he needs games to kick on, he simply wasn’t going to get that at Leeds this year, we can’t keep them all

• 9 months later...
On 07/02/2023 at 14:13, Chrispmartha said:

Doesn’t exist!

Rohan Smith hasn’t named an official captain or captains for the season, he says it Will basically be a game by game decision.

Has this been done before?

As a leeds fan im glad we have a coach that ‘thinks outside the box’

It now exists again.

8 hours ago, M j M said:

It now exists again.

Rohan's thinking is back in the box.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 10/02/2023 at 15:38, Tim Streets tache said:

Come again?

As has been stated on numerous occasions, English is an dynamic language in which words and meanings change and evolve.

Does not affect the role and responsibility of a team captain, who should be an on field and off field leader and representative, motivator, example to the players, fans, media etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Rohan's thinking is back in the box.

Yeah its a bit like when a new supervisor comes in at work with a plan for reform having got the job on being innovative and then goes back to how it was before shortly after...

20 hours ago, JohnM said:

As has been stated on numerous occasions, English is an dynamic language in which words and meanings change and evolve.

Does not affect the role and responsibility of a team captain, who should be an on field and off field leader and representative, motivator, example to the players, fans, media etc.

Ok.

Remind me..

....How does being woke - in your   "evolved" -🤣 (ie - Sun/Daily Mail buzzword loving old men, who moan about not being able to be openly racist anymore way) applies to the Leeds Rhinos captaincy again?

Edited by Tim Streets tache