Brodie Croft signs for Salford till 2030

16 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Wow, football style contract, usually not worth the paper they're written on but should see Salford adequately compensated if he were to move on. 

Not worth the paper they are written on and adequately compensated sounds very contradictory....

• Like 1

This seems like a bit of PR more than anything as there's always a way out of contracts for either party. It won't increase a potential transfer fee because there's always a limit to a players value and transfer fees are essentially just paying to cancel a contract rather than paying out the remaining years. There's also almost always going to be another player available for nothing. Any NRL release clause pretty much makes the length of contract irrelevant too. It looks and good for Salford though which is probably the idea.

1 hour ago, Curly perm said:

Wow, that’s a long time. Wonder if it’s full of clauses. 

There's one saying he cannot be transferred to St Helens, however much they offer.  That's the Santa clause.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

This seems like a bit of PR more than anything as there's always a way out of contracts for either party. It won't increase a potential transfer fee because there's always a limit to a players value and transfer fees are essentially just paying to cancel a contract rather than paying out the remaining years. There's also almost always going to be another player available for nothing. Any NRL release clause pretty much makes the length of contract irrelevant too. It looks and good for Salford though which is probably the idea.

Might keep parasites like Wigan and Hudds away which is surely a good thing?😎

Do I expect him to stay for 7 years? Nope. But whoever wants him in the NRL will have to cough up some serious £££. Brodie has an excellent relationship with Bleasey & Paul King and if it ever comes time for Brodie to move on then both parties will make sure it's done properly.👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Might keep parasites like Wigan and Hudds away which is surely a good thing?😎

Do I expect him to stay for 7 years? Nope. But whoever wants him in the NRL will have to cough up some serious £££. Brodie has an excellent relationship with Bleasey & Paul King and if it ever comes time for Brodie to move on then both parties will make sure it's done properly.👍

I'm sure the idea is that Salford will eventually become the parasites and be able to lure the best players from other Super League clubs. It's hard to argue against them being the best run club in the competition when you consider performances against resources.

But ultimately a 7 year contract doesn't mean NRL clubs will have to cough up any more than if he was on a 2 year contract. His value stays the same because it's relative to his ability and the ability of other players available. It does mean Salford can at least try to hold out for a fee any time a team does come in for him though, so it's helpful in that respect.

39 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

There's one saying he cannot be transferred to St Helens, however much they offer.  That's the Santa clause.

And, as surely as night (at the opera) follows day (at the races), I am compelled to post this...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

If this had been Wigan tying up a player would there be the same comments.

Amazing deal to take all the speculation out of this.

To be fair, Wigan know better than most that contracts don't always mean much if a player decides they want out. It's just how sport works nowadays and they've just lost Bateman for the second time in 5 years. Good for Salford though, they have a decent amount of leverage now at least should NRL clubs come knocking.

This is a real example of someone who's happy at work and as many on here are not even happy with their favourite sport they won't know what to make of it.

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Red Willow said:

If this had been Wigan tying up a player would there be the same comments.

Amazing deal to take all the speculation out of this.

Nah. If it was Wigan, people would be remembering Shaun Edwards' coaching career with them, and wondering if this contract was just another figment of the club's imagination.

• Haha 2

Not much downside for Salford in this. A move within SL would need a fee, and even if there's an NRL clause it gives them a bit of leverage. In any event it might just be also that Croft wants to stay for the long term. Maybe he's happy at Salford. Great if so.

Even if an NRL club comes knocking it wouldn’t surprise me if Croft has higher earning potential in Super League especially if he’s being paid like a top 5 SL player. 

Similar to Jai Field and Bevan French, I assume these guys can earn far more money in SL than they can in NRL.

Only if he was a marquee effectively outside the cap, which he may be. The NRL cap is enormous compared to SL - $12.1 Million or $11.45 for the top 30 players. That's close to £7 M compared to SL's £2.1 M, so three times higher at least.  

1 minute ago, DACS said:

Only if he was a marquee effectively outside the cap, which he may be. The NRL cap is enormous compared to SL - $12.1 Million or $11.45 for the top 30 players. That's close to £7 M compared to SL's £2.1 M, so three times higher at least.  

I get that, but I mean if let’s say Croft and Field are earning circa £250k in SL. Would an NRL club be willing to pay over $500k (AUD) for these players (I know they can, but are they worth that much for an NRL club).