Brodie Croft signs for Salford till 2030

6 hours ago, AB90 said:

Even if an NRL club comes knocking it wouldn’t surprise me if Croft has higher earning potential in Super League especially if he’s being paid like a top 5 SL player. 

Similar to Jai Field and Bevan French, I assume these guys can earn far more money in SL than they can in NRL.

Can’t see that, halves in the NRL are a premium. Lowest paid players earn 90k(Aussie dollars) so he could earn a lot more. But good news for Salford that he is happy to sign a long term contract. Hopefully Salford can build on their last few seasons and remain a competitive side and hopefully grow their noisy if small fan base. 

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Can’t see that, halves in the NRL are a premium. Lowest paid players earn 90k(Aussie dollars) so he could earn a lot more. But good news for Salford that he is happy to sign a long term contract. Hopefully Salford can build on their last few seasons and remain a competitive side and hopefully grow their noisy if small fan base. 

If he could earn a lot more money in the NRL then why is he playing in SL! 

99% of former NRL players that are playing in Super League are doing so because they get paid more money here than they would in the NRL/Australian rugby league. 

1 minute ago, AB90 said:

99% of former NRL players that are playing in Super League are doing so because they get paid more money here than they would in the NRL/Australian rugby league. 

It could be lots of reasons, but you are way off the mark if you think it is for money. 

20 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Just for context, average NRL salary for a 

Half back 1m Aussie dollars 

Five eighth 750k Aussie dollars. 

No club over here will or is able to get near those figures. 

2 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Clubs over here may not need to get anywhere near those figures if no NRL club deems Brodie Croft to be worth that much. As he is still playing SL (signing an 8 year deal) that indicates to me no one is willing to pay him that money in the NRL.

Remember, in 2021 Brodie Croft couldn’t cement a spot in the starting side for the worst team in the league (Brisbane Broncos ‘won’ the wooden spoon in 2021). He’s not some world beater.

34 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

It could be lots of reasons, but you are way off the mark if you think it is for money. 

You may be correct but i think it’s naive to think money isn’t the most significant factor when deciding move to or play in SL (no different to every other professional sport on the planet).

2 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Clubs over here may not need to get anywhere near those figures if no NRL club deems Brodie Croft to be worth that much. As he is still playing SL (signing an 8 year deal) that indicates to me no one is willing to pay him that money in the NRL.

Remember, in 2021 Brodie Croft couldn’t cement a spot in the starting side for the worst team in the league (Brisbane Broncos ‘won’ the wooden spoon in 2021). He’s not some world beater.

You answered your own question. He here for a fresh start rather than money. 

4 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

You know all those players who went to K&C (Vichy) and then said " It wasn't about the money!" well there's a Red Devil's player who just ran a coach and horses through their nonsense.

The reaction to this has been amazing from the truly gobsmacked to chicken licken and my screensaver 's stopped working.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Not as much as I thought... you sure it ain't higher.

Taken current exchange rate 750k AUD is approx £435K

Edited by redjonn

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Not as much as I thought... you sure it ain't higher.

Taken current exchange rate 750k AUD is approx £435K

Google it it gives a break down of every position. 1.7 AD to pound but the figures were average over the whole comp. 

Everyone's talking dollars which is quite understandable in a professional sport but there's alot to be said for staying where you're adored and the press ignore you  to what takes place in the NRL and its savage media.

And no matter how often that breaks perfectly good and even excellent players plenty will still look at showmethemoney!

9 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Google it it gives a break down of every position. 1.7 AD to pound but the figures were average over the whole comp. 

oky doky

Whatever the reasons and for how ever long its good to see such a player as Brodie Croft in SL.  He seems to be an excellent player in the SL games I've seen him and as such adds to the competition.   If only for other clubs younger players in his position strive to be as good.

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

He seems to be an excellent player in the SL games I've seen him and as such adds to the competition.   If only for other clubs younger players in his position strive to be as good.

But don't forget redjohn

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

He’s not some world beater.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

oky doky

Whatever the reasons and for how ever long its good to see such a player as Brodie Croft in SL.  He seems to be an excellent player in the SL games I've seen him and as such adds to the competition.   If only for other clubs younger players in his position strive to be as good.

Totally agree with you, I was not knocking the deal it is good for Salford and the competition. All I was writing was that he has not come to get a bigger pay packet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Yoy know all those players who went to K&C and then said " It wasn't about the money!" well there's a Red Devil's player who just ran a coach and horses through their nonsense.

The reaction to this has been amazing from the truly gobsmacked to chicken licken and my screensaver 's stopped working.

I read your comment and first I thought you were writing about chicken at a KFC. I re read it and am still struggling so maybe you need to enlighten me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AB90 said:

They ‘won’ the wooden spoon in 2020 not 2021.

• Thanks 1

Often thought Jackson Hastings made a mistake switching from Salford to Wigan from his demeanour. 

Brodie Croft and Salford seem a good fit. This is good news all-round. Hope it lasts long, for reasons of the similarities to the Hastings example. 

That despite being a Wigan supporter. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superb Chops said:

Often thought Jackson Hastings made a mistake switching from Salford to Wigan from his demeanour. 

Brodie Croft and Salford seem a good fit. This is good news all-round. Hope it lasts long, for reasons of the similarities to the Hastings example. 

That despite being a Wigan supporter. 

I know what you mean about Jacko although he played well for Wigan he never seemed quite what he was at SRD.

• Like 1

Totally agree with you, I was not knocking the deal it is good for Salford and the competition. All I was writing was that he has not come to get a bigger pay packet. 

yep I realised that...  Jolly hockey sticks

49 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I know what you mean about Jacko although he played well for Wigan he never seemed quite what he was at SRD.

It always seemed as though he'd been told to "play it simple" at Wigan. Jacko needs a bit of freedom and that's what he got at Salford, he was the main man. Watching him at Wigan it was like he'd been reined in and, let's be honest, under Lam Wigan weren't exactly entertaining to watch.

Croft & Sneyd are about as good a HB match as you've got in SL. Their games complement each other perfectly and it seems they've got a huge amount of respect for what the other one does. 

• Like 2

The story made its way to news.com.au.

I thought he had a game left in him before he was relinquished by the NRL clubs. There are average halves in the NRL right now that Croft would make an improvement on.

Good on Salford.

edit note: I have no idea how well he has performed in the SL. Has he been good?

Edited by Sports Prophet