London Broncos New Investment?

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/feb/04/broncos-pin-londons-rugby-league-future-on-move-to-leafy-wimbledon

Read it here. No names or whether it’s from current owners but I found that interesting. 

Fantastic news and I hope it works out for the Broncos SL just isn't the same without them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Just looked at the accounts and the latest update 10 days or so ago suggests David Hughes’ son Jack is now a shareholder. I also notice the latest accounts show the club owes £25.9m to Hughes.

Jeez, over £1m/season for 22 years. Has rugby league ever had a bigger benefactor?

Unbelievable really 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Just looked at the accounts and the latest update 10 days or so ago suggests David Hughes’ son Jack is now a shareholder. I also notice the latest accounts show the club owes £25.9m to Hughes.

Isn’t his lad a part time rugby Union player?

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If I read news (rarely) it's BBC 

I finally banned the Grauniad from my life after that article they did after David Cameron's young son died...."privileged grief" or something?....it was abhorrent 

You'll have a real shock if you ever come across the 'UK Free Press'. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

How many junior clubs are there in London?

The answer is: very few! Last season the London Junior League ran with the following numbers (in London / outside London)

U12: 4 (3/1)

U14: 7 (3/4)

U16: 9 (2/7)

So a total of nine clubs fielding at least one junior team, with two of them doing so at all three ages. 

Not great, though it has to be noted that there are a number of clubs with U7s to U11s.

12 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The answer is: very few! Last season the London Junior League ran with the following numbers (in London / outside London)

U12: 4 (3/1)

U14: 7 (3/4)

U16: 9 (2/7)

So a total of nine clubs fielding at least one junior team, with two of them doing so at all three ages. 

Not great, though it has to be noted that there are a number of clubs with U7s to U11s.

For context, those are similar numbers to, say, Hull and Cumbria.

But almost every word said by Eccles in that article is wrong or misleading, including that they are now in a better geographical position to tap into schools/community RL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

almost every word said by Eccles in that article is wrong or misleading, including that they are now in a better geographical position to tap into schools/community RL.

It's very much an article written for people for whom London and the South East is a world they don't know.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Written in 2021, "5000 fans in three years in the target"

2021 is year one. This is year two.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/london-broncos-owner-issues-major-statement-on-future-of-club-45839/

But, basically, the same article as in the Guardian.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

And not a penny spent on infrastructure. Unbelievable waste really. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. David paid for the club out of his oil trading income, so not like one of those blokes who can just chuck £20m on the table. The real question is what does his wife think… he’s probably been spending half his earnings keeping the club going 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. David paid for the club out of his oil trading income, so not like one of those blokes who can just chuck £20m on the table. The real question is what does his wife think… he’s probably been spending half his earnings keeping the club going 😳

Plough Lane cost £33m. Has anyone connected with rugby league in London had the money to pay that upfront or to build something for that cost without incurring an unsustainable debt?

AFC Wimbledon are delightfully debt-ridden after all. It's why London play there.

• Like 1