Sat 11-Sun 12 Feb: Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

20 hours ago, audois said:

Good to see Dimitri Biscaro involved

Indeed. Exciting times for the young lads. I hear that Robin will start at full back tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Toulouse by 20

Eagles by 10

Batley by 24

Fev by 20

Broncos by 10

Widnes by 14

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Big blow for Widnes as Tom Gilmore faces surgery for a ruptured pec. Think for this injury, when surgery is necessary, recovery is usually measured in months rather than weeks, am guessing probably latter half of the season before he has a chance to play again.

Big loss that for them he missed one game in 2 years at Batley 

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Big blow for Widnes as Tom Gilmore faces surgery for a ruptured pec. Think for this injury, when surgery is necessary, recovery is usually measured in months rather than weeks, am guessing probably latter half of the season before he has a chance to play again.

Similar injury for Jamie Ellis last season , still not available for the Knights for some time.

4 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Big loss that for them he missed one game in 2 years at Batley 

He played almost as many games for Batley in those two seasons as he did in the preceding 8 years at Widnes.

On 08/02/2023 at 11:54, JonM said:

I'll go for all home wins. I thought Halifax looked pretty impressive from the highlights of Sunday's game. It'll be interesting to see how they get on against Featherstone. Likewise Sheffield Eagles (are they the oldest squad ever assembled in professional RL?) are certainly capable of winning at Barrow. Whitehaven beat Broncos home and away last year IIRC.

Haven did double last year against London but half year had Coleman in charge and were a very different team - only issue is that they have the travel and haven’t won in Cumbria in the last two years 

20 hours ago, MattSantos said:

The Betfred championship, yet they're no games to bet on in the app.

Will this change before Sunday?

I don't think Betfred have come up with odds yet on today's Toulouse v Newcastle game but 3 or 4 other firms have, the general start seems to be Newcastle +28 on handicap, to be honest it would be surprising if this is anything other than a wide-margin Toulouse win.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2023 at 13:01, kiggy said:

Hopefully Waïl or Robin will get a run out. I'm looking forward to seeing the new players 1st hand on Saturday (no3 son's American girlfriend is coming along with us....special treat for her to see what a proper game looks like!).

Guy is back and will play on the wing as Latrell isn't ready, and yes, Ben will be out for a while. I heard it was necessary for surgery so that probably means 3 months out. Olly will be back for the York match. 

Just looking at the announced 17 for Toulouse, it's still a very strong line-up despite all the losses/injuries/original small squad.

Brochon, Marcon, Jussaume, Rennie, Armitage, Shorrocks, Ralph, Belmas, Marion, Bretherton, Peyroux, Stefani, Hansen subs Pelissier, Akauloa, Pezet, Richards

Apart from the full back, NRL/World Cup centre Rennie, and the two halves, who were excellent at Barrow (especially Ralph), I think all these guys were playing SL last year. They will need some luck with injuries though especially in the forwards.

On 10/02/2023 at 14:38, MattSantos said:

The Betfred championship, yet they're no games to bet on in the app.

Will this change before Sunday?

I wouldn't bet on it!

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Just looking at the announced 17 for Toulouse, it's still a very strong line-up despite all the losses/injuries/original small squad.

Brochon, Marcon, Jussaume, Rennie, Armitage, Shorrocks, Ralph, Belmas, Marion, Bretherton, Peyroux, Stefani, Hansen subs Pelissier, Akauloa, Pezet, Richards

Apart from the full back, NRL/World Cup centre Rennie, and the two halves, who were excellent at Barrow (especially Ralph), I think all these guys were playing SL last year. They will need some luck with injuries though especially in the forwards.

I wholly agree with you, TPH.  The issue will be, as you suggest, how they react when injuries (or suspensions) start affecting the squad.  Conversely, however, the young players promoted from the Elite 1 or the U-19s teams may find their confidence is quickly boosted by the experience around them.

By the way, it's 24-0 to Toulouse at halftime tonight.

8 hours ago, watcherofRL said:

Haven did double last year against London but half year had Coleman in charge and were a very different team - only issue is that they have the travel and haven’t won in Cumbria in the last two years 

Didn’t have Coleman in charge when you travelled to Cumbria last season. Oh and by the way we travel the same distance.

• Like 3

TO finally converted a try!

Brochon did OK, scored a try and then was promoted to goal kicker and didn't miss one. An odd game though after the speed of the first game against Barrow it all seemed a bit flat tonight, they didn't seem to get out of 2nd gear for most of the match. A small crowd didn't help, holidays/freezing cold/French match on TV might have been a cause but I hope the numbers pick up as it was poor tonight.

Sita's entrance was fun. Although he wasn't on the pitch for very long.

York are next, one of the only championship teams to have already played at the Stade.

Edited by kiggy
Fat fingers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Been telling my Mrs I've got massive pecs for years. She insists on calling them moobs

I reckon it usually takes about 2 pages before posts start going "off topic", think John Drake should consider pinning this topic now 😂 but thanks for making me laugh 👍

image.png.e9f7df6b5ae6a1292f088dadbbc78552.png

Only 38 points out in my prediction

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"