(Not) North Wales Feb 19th

Blind side johnny

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

A last minute change.

FowuwLYWYAIlWxC.jpg

What a sad state of affairs.  Really feel for those who had booked accommodation and were making a weekend in North Wales of it.  Shame the RU boys didn’t know they were playing until just now or we might have had the decision to change the venue in time to save such inconveniences 🤔😉

• Like 1

The fixtures have been out long enough for the WRU to know the date of the match. The rugby union hierarchy is still showing its opposition to our version of the game by cocking a snook at us when it can.

Their fixture is five days after ours, but how much damage to the pitch do they think we can create to warrant some devious tactics?

• Like 2
Legs, Dews, Legs.

This opener is likely to be a nervy one for our players and spectators alike: we could do with someone with a calming influence both on the field and in the stand.

I have no idea which players might be injured, but let me pick what I think might be Finny’s selection:

1 Restall

2 Carr

3 Greensmith

4 Dixon 

5 Whiteley (squad no. 23)

6 Collins (16)

7 Turner

8 Beckett

9 Butterworth 

10 Dixon (15)

11 Davies

12 Garside

13 Morris (17)

14 Day

15 Ferguson (10)

16 Collinson (13)

17 Walker (20)

—————

18 Graham

19 Coventry (22)

20 Summers (24)

21 Jordan

That leaves only four remaining squad members who are not selected: Gabriel (long term injury), Sykes (suspended), Wilkinson and O’Connor.

North Wales 16-25 Dewsbury 

FTS: Garside

MoM: Collins 

Att: 686

Anyone got different ideas?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

18 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

This opener is likely to be a nervy one for our players and spectators alike: we could do with someone with a calming influence both on the field and in the stand.

I have no idea which players might be injured, but let me pick what I think might be Finny’s selection:

1 Restall

2 Carr

3 Greensmith

4 Dixon 

5 Whiteley (squad no. 23)

6 Collins (16)

7 Turner

8 Beckett

9 Butterworth 

10 Dixon (15)

11 Davies

12 Garside

13 Morris (17)

14 Day

15 Ferguson (10)

16 Collinson (13)

17 Walker (20)

—————

18 Graham

19 Coventry (22)

20 Summers (24)

21 Jordan

That leaves only four remaining squad members who are not selected: Gabriel (long term injury), Sykes (suspended), Wilkinson and O’Connor.

North Wales 16-25 Dewsbury 

FTS: Garside

MoM: Collins 

Att: 686

Anyone got different ideas?

I reckon that line-up is about right with the only real questions being the forwards because there are plenty to choose from. As always half back will be critical as will an experienced head to direct the team. Although Restall has only just joined us I have been impressed by his organisational input so hope that this comes to the fore.

Given the neutral venue the gate might be over-optimistic. I do plan to be there, however.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Thought Sykes had served his suspension? Batley and Bradford. He played against Huddersfield last week.

In the past you could only serve one match of a suspension in friendlies. This must now have changed.

I'm not complaining, mind.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Anyone know what the story is with Connor Davies?  Was really looking forward to seeing him in this division after his exploits with Wales in the World Cup.   Thought he was stand out for them. 

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

In the past you could only serve one match of a suspension in friendlies. This must now have changed.

I'm not complaining, mind.

When I spoke to Paul at the Bradford game he said he’d spoken to someone at RFL about that,as he explained to them international players used warm up games to burn off suspension’s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Great result away at a team tipped to be play off contenders. Can't remember last time we scored that many points.

Think it was 1981

• Haha 2

Very satisfactory debut to league 1 and a bit of a Paul Sykes masterclass and he didn’t even show any dissent. A bit sloppy towards the end of the second half but overall a good performance and even the long walk back to the station was improved by going through Victoria Park - a note to self to remember the next time we play at what I will always call Naughton Park.

A solid performance with some things to work on but overall quite satisfactory. The old bloke at stand off may well have taken the eye but there were some really good inputs by everyone, particularly in the pack. the forwards will be the basis of all that we hope to achieve this season so that was quite pleasing.

It seems such a long time since an enjoyable and successful day out - lets' hope for a few more this year.

• Like 1

There was probably a bit of nervousness for both sides early one and I was surprised how easily the Crusaders were allowed to score their tries. I think the nerves eased when Caelum Jordan saved a try by intercepting and racing 90 metres for a lovely try. We played really well for some good minutes either side of half time, but soon after the opening stages and at the end of the match, the home side had their best moments.

it was great to start with what turned out to be a comfortable win, but I am sure it could have been a wider margin with a little more care in both and attack and defence.

I made the penalty count 7-3 to Dewsbury, which is better than most match’s last season.

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

8 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

There was probably a bit of nervousness for both sides early one and I was surprised how easily the Crusaders were allowed to score their tries. I think the nerves eased when Caelum Jordan saved a try by intercepting and racing 90 metres for a lovely try. We played really well for some good minutes either side of half time, but soon after the opening stages and at the end of the match, the home side had their best moments.

it was great to start with what turned out to be a comfortable win, but I am sure it could have been a wider margin with a little more care in both and attack and defence.

I made the penalty count 7-3 to Dewsbury, which is better than most match’s last season.

A fair assessment of the game and Rams were well worthy of the victory. From my point of view I was disappointed with some of our sloppiness which certainly didn’t help us but no complaints. We lost quite a few of our better players from last season and a few of the team were younger players stepping up to this level for the first time so we will improve as the season goes on. It’s a shame we all had to travel to Widnes instead of Colwyn Bay. Your fans really got behind your team and are a credit to you, well done.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, clwydianrange said:

A fair assessment of the game and Rams were well worthy of the victory. From my point of view I was disappointed with some of our sloppiness which certainly didn’t help us but no complaints. We lost quite a few of our better players from last season and a few of the team were younger players stepping up to this level for the first time so we will improve as the season goes on. It’s a shame we all had to travel to Widnes instead of Colwyn Bay. Your fans really got behind your team and are a credit to you, well done.

For me your stand out player was the little lad with the number 1 on his back, never stopped trying 

NWC will be there abouts this season they played well. 

3 hours ago, coolie said:

For me your stand out player was the little lad with the number 1 on his back, never stopped trying 

NWC will be there abouts this season they played well. 

Thanks for that Coolie. He was playing  amateur last year and certainly shows a lot of promise. Our full back, Tommy Johnson, retired so Owain has taken his place. He normally would be playing in the halves and from what I’ve seen so far he’d be bloody good there. 

• Like 1