Sat 18th Feb: World Club Challenge: Penrith Panthers v St Helens KO 7:00 (UK Time) (Sky/C4)

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 07:30

33 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

also - when origin has been on and the panthers have had several stars missing they have looked extremely ordinary to say the least - so with the departed and injured taken in to account then CMON SAINTS!

I've been saying on here for the past 2 or 3 years that this Saints team is as good as any NRL team and I would stand by that if they weren't playing this Penrith team.

Not a Saints fan but I'm hoping for a win and really hoping its not a blowout if Saints wilt in the 2nd half heat - ill take the 6-1 on offer and put some money behind my words - love the WCC- come on Saints and SL

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Good to hear the Saints lads nto having any of the heat chat:

Saints full-back Jack Welsby said: “The heat is what it is. We’ve had a lot of comments saying it is going to be hot.

"We’ve been here for two weeks now and it has been hot all of the time. Even when it has been raining its been hot.

When I’ve played a Wembley against Hull and in semi-finals in the middle of August it was hot. It gets hot pitchside at Wembley so its something we’re used to and a challenge we’re looking forward to.”

Am I misunderstanding summat here?

He would have been 7 years old in 2008 when Hull played Saints at Wembley last time out.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Penrith are 10/1 on to win.

Probably says it all I suppose.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I can’t believe Penrith are -20.5 on the betting site I’ve looked at. They’re down Edwards, Koroisau, Kikau and Martin from their GF win and haven’t added much other than the new second rower and Saints are up a World class prop forward and a fabulous young half in Dodd.

There’s plenty of disrespect going on for my money and I think it’ll fuel Saints big time. I thing they’ll push it reasonably close and wouldn’t fall off my chair if they won. It feels like they’ve been building towards an opportunity like this for this past 4 or 5 years, whereas Down Under they seem to be throwing it in alongside the other ‘trial’ fixtures. 

• Like 2

Having seen little of Penrith over the last few years, I'm not really sure how good they are and possibly don't appreciate their talents. But the individual players are leading NRL stars and excelled in the World Cup, which says it all.

Their record speaks for itself. We're going to find it tough. English sides always do in this match. Especially away from home in an Australian summer.

Saying that, we are a good side. Our defensive structure gives us the best chance we could hope for. I worry about Hurrell shooting out of the line. He can get away with in Super League but probably not here!

A hunch tells me we'll lose but will not be disgraced.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm getting confused about this year thing. Talk on TV of 40oC.....when I look on BBC weather it says about 29oC

Be conscious not to lump Sydney and Penrith weather together as they are very different. According to google, Sydney is expected to reach a high of 31oC whilst Penrith is expected to hit 38oC.

Penrith have a fantastic system and strength throughout the club , with players coming in and looking the part  , and this side  still looks very strong to me . They’re one of the best NRL sudes for many years and I still expect them to set the standard this year . They’re on a different level to Saints IMO as they are most teams down there . With it being so early in the year and many having a first hit out it could make them a tad clunky but I expect as the game progresses Penrith will pull away comfortably 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Quite a few on here think Saints might win/keep it close , general handicap has Saints with 18 start , so get on if you think it will be close .

Only if I can put it inside my ISA.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Probably worth updating the thread title that kick off has been moved back to 7.50am UK time 

Might help get some extra, casual viewers with a later morning start.i

I'm doing what we always do. Tape it, avoid media and then make a night of it.l about 7pm...got mates coming over ....got to be strict with yourself ....only fast forward adverts 

Don't understand why people don't do it more

18 hours ago, Chris22 said:

. I worry about Hurrell shooting out of the line. 

dont think konny has been selected apart from in the back up reserves  numbers

hopoate and percival been the centres

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Glad the NRL are being sensible about this game given the extreem heat. First moving the start time forward, now allowing 18 players instead of 17, increasing the number of subs to 10 and playing it as 4 quarters with drinks breaks instead of halves.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

dont think konny has been selected apart from in the back up reserves  numbers

Team hasn't been announced yet - the Aussies have just released the squad list order based on player squad numbers

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Team hasn't been announced yet - the Aussies have just released the squad list order based on player squad numbers

ok- ref is ashley klien - seen him ruin many a game with his over zealous style - hope he lets the game flow

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm doing what we always do. Tape it, avoid media and then make a night of it.l about 7pm...got mates coming over ....got to be strict with yourself ....only fast forward adverts 

Don't understand why people don't do it more

Yeah but just, just, what if saints start pulling off the impossible? You want to be there at home in your pants, cheering on every tackle / hit up live and feel as though you're in the moment and running from fullback about to take an inside pass from welsby and sprint clear. Then you come crashing down to earth when your missus starts thumping the floor from the bedroom above, complaining about the noise 

Or is it just me?

• Haha 1