Sat 18th Feb: World Club Challenge: Penrith Panthers v St Helens KO 7:00 (UK Time) (Sky/C4)

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 07:30

21 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

That's interesting, which game?

Sorry took so long to get back to you, but the game in question was Leigh vs. Salford.

You probably noticed I specifically avoided saying which game was replayed on Foxtel/Kayo, mostly because I was trying to avoid the inevitable wisecracks that choice of game would have engendered, when it wasn`t so much which game was broadcast but rather that a Super League game was replayed at all.

Still an interesting and odd choice given that neither would be particularly well known in Oz, unlike say a Wigan or a Catalans might be.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Still an interesting and odd choice given that neither would be particularly well known in Oz, unlike say a Wigan or a Catalans might be.

I don't know quite what to say about your comment here Rocket. But do you work for IMG?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I'm sorry if anyone's already mentioned or cited this but

"In the build-up to the fixture, it was revealed that over a thousand St Helens fans had made the journey to the BlueBet Stadium in the mountains, but the overall attendance figure was 13,873." TotalRL.com

there have been a few who have argued the toss that Oz has treated this game with due respect and that putting it into the season warm up comp was perfectly fine. The evidence is there in the crowd numbers. And if nothing else people should be slagging the NRL off for being incompetent on this issue.

The weather was pretty bad at the beginning which certainly would have affected the attendance???....

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You`ve never struck me as someone short of an opinion.🙃

I don't advise going back over old posts Rocket but if you did you'd see plenty of times where I was either lost for words, didn't know what was going on or was asking for help.

In any case the purpose of forums is having an opinion on the first place and the only error is assuming people want to hear it.

My point was that IMG look at clubs that have a more favourable brand identity which is very much in line with your view on the match/club you'd have expected.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The weather was pretty bad at the beginning which certainly would have affected the attendance???...

That's very kind Kayak!

On 19/02/2023 at 12:34, bobbruce said:

Technically Manly weren’t champions when they played Wigan they lost the grand final. So 13 all. 

Manly had won the '87 GF against Canberra just 10 days before playing Wigan at Central Park - of course they were Australian champions (or premiers). 14-13 it is.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 12:54, bobbruce said:

This won’t be popular at the minute but if there was a one off game to win and you could pick any players I’d still pick Cunningham at 9. What I think Roby has done is be the most consistently good player I’ve ever seen  That’s not just Saints I don’t think I’ve seen a player in my life time who has kept his level so consistently high through his career. 

Depends on the team. Stick Roby in the team alongside Long, Martyn, Sculthorpe et al at their peak (2000ish) and we wouldn’t need Cunningham. 

😉

(Picking the best Saints SL team is very very hard…)

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Depends on the team. Stick Roby in the team alongside Long, Martyn, Sculthorpe et al at their peak (2000ish) and we wouldn’t need Cunningham. 

😉

(Picking the best Saints SL team is very very hard…)

Indeed it is - there have been very very many iterations. Everyone else have been also rans for a very long time. And that’s in a salary capped competition. Saints’ board must laugh at how weak the opposition has been for so very long. 

11 hours ago, Oxford said:

"In the build-up to the fixture, it was revealed that over a thousand St Helens fans had made the journey to the BlueBet Stadium in the mountains, but the overall attendance figure was 13,873." TotalRL.com

there have been a few who have argued the toss that Oz has treated this game with due respect and that putting it into the season warm up comp was perfectly fine. The evidence is there in the crowd numbers. And if nothing else people should be slagging the NRL off for being incompetent on this issue.

I read that they sold a fair few thousand more tickets than the attendance, but due to the appalling weather a lot of people decided to stay home and watch on tv.  

• Like 1

On 18/02/2023 at 23:29, Eddie said:

Just out of interest if that game was played for the next ten weekends in a row what do you think the outcome would be, 10-0 to Saints? 

Not sure why this is relevant, 

What us relevant is that saints played 2 games in Australia and won them both..

16 hours ago, Oxford said:

If the Penrith fans didn’t turn up there’s not much the NRL can do. The advertising was very clear and they’d all have known about it.

I do wonder if the hot weather forecast kept people away in addition to warnings about heavy downpours. The stadium is rubbish and offers virtually no sun or rain protection.

When it’s sunny in Australia UV ratings are extreme. For example, it’s currently only 18 degrees Celsius at my location yet the UV level is 11 (extreme). People may have looked outside when considering heading to the stadium in much hotter weather and thought “stuff that “

UV level 8 is about the maximum you get on the hottest and sunniest of days in the UK.

Or possibly the Panthers fans are just lazy insular people…. Which is probably the case! 

4 hours ago, Copa said:

If the Penrith fans didn’t turn up there’s not much the NRL can do. The advertising was very clear and they’d all have known about it.

I do wonder if the hot weather forecast kept people away in addition to warnings about heavy downpours. The stadium is rubbish and offers virtually no sun or rain protection.

When it’s sunny in Australia UV ratings are extreme. For example, it’s currently only 18 degrees Celsius at my location yet the UV level is 11 (extreme). People may have looked outside when considering heading to the stadium in much hotter weather and thought “stuff that “

UV level 8 is about the maximum you get on the hottest and sunniest of days in the UK.

Or possibly the Panthers fans are just lazy insular people…. Which is probably the case! 

Reading this makes me think they really should lift the ban on hats, long sleeve shirts and umbrellas in Penrith. It really is a damaging law.

• Haha 2

On 20/02/2023 at 10:22, Barley Mow said:

This could give IMG a great idea for a new trophy - The Winner Stays On Cup

The SL champions start in possession of the trophy and keep it until they lose a match. It then passes to the team that beat them and they keep it until next defeated themselves, and so on. The club in possession at the end of the season are the winners. 😂

A bit the the lineal world champion in boxing.