Toulouse focusing on youngsters

Always good to see clubs producing their own local players.

At least 12 players that have come through Toulouse's local teams have been named in their 21 man squads in the past two weeks.

Laguerre done well scoring two tries last weekend, Pezet played both games so far this season and Skoundri and Tropis have been named in the 21 man squads already. Both are highly rated youngsters.

By the way Josh Ralph looks like a super signing already 👏  both performances have been eye catching.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Daddy said:

At least 12 players that have come through Toulouse's local teams have been named in their 21 man squads in the past two weeks.

Laguerre done well scoring two tries last weekend, Pezet played both games so far this season and Skoundri and Tropis have been named in the 21 man squads already. Both are highly rated youngsters.

By the way Josh Ralph looks like a super signing already 👏  both performances have been eye catching.

This is the future for Rugby League in this country, NOT has been's and never was players from the NRL

• Like 3

On 14/02/2023 at 10:14, The Future is League said:

This is the future for Rugby League in this country, NOT has been's and never was players from the NRL

Plenty of the so-called 'has beens' are bringing a heap of experience and nous to the French game at the moment.

Edited by Number 16
  • Like 3

On 13/02/2023 at 13:40, The Daddy said:

Josh Ralph has been awesome everytime he's put on a Welsh shirt and even during the WC he almost inspired to a win or two that would have been massively against the odds 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 13/02/2023 at 14:40, The Daddy said:

I am hoping that Skoundri will get a run out soon. Brochon did OK against Newcastle but with OAB back i'm not sure he will get another chance for a while. Ben Laguerre is due for surgery on his shoulder as (apparently) they don't let these things go anymore, so he will be out for 3 months. It is looking good for the French game though, it was just a shame the two French lads went off to play in the UK (Cozza I think and Lacans).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Josh Ralph has been awesome everytime he's put on a Welsh shirt and even during the WC he almost inspired to a win or two that would have been massively against the odds 

Josh is a brilliant player and an even better lad off the pitch - deserves every success! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kiggy said:

I am hoping that Skoundri will get a run out soon. Brochon did OK against Newcastle but with OAB back i'm not sure he will get another chance for a while. Ben Laguerre is due for surgery on his shoulder as (apparently) they don't let these things go anymore, so he will be out for 3 months. It is looking good for the French game though, it was just a shame the two French lads went off to play in the UK (Cozza I think and Lacans).

Skoundri seems to be highly rated by a few people I've spoken too that follow TO. I watched him play a few games for the Elite team and for a 20 year old he's big and quick, the type of player France has been lacking in the back row.

In regards to Brochon, one thing he has in his favour is that he's probably the best goalkicker at the club and the goalkickicking so far this season has been poor.

Houles might just stick him on the wing to get him on kicking duties. It really could be the difference between winning and losing a tight games.

Shame about Benjamin Laguerre he was outstanding in the first game of the season. With Schaumkel due to return soon and Armitage back TO are covered quite strongly on the wing.

The achilees heel for TO is the lack of depth in the pack. They're not as strong at prop as they were last time they were in the Championship

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Josh is a brilliant player and an even better lad off the pitch - deserves every success! 

I'm hoping he and Shorrocks gel. Long way to go though.

21 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Skoundri seems to be highly rated by a few people I've spoken too that follow TO. I watched him play a few games for the Elite team and for a 20 year old he's big and quick, the type of player France has been lacking in the back row.

In regards to Brochon, one thing he has in his favour is that he's probably the best goalkicker at the club and the goalkickicking so far this season has been poor.

Houles might just stick him on the wing to get him on kicking duties. It really could be the difference between winning and losing a tight games.

Shame about Benjamin Laguerre he was outstanding in the first game of the season. With Schaumkel due to return soon and Armitage back TO are covered quite strongly on the wing.

The achilees heel for TO is the lack of depth in the pack. They're not as strong at prop as they were last time they were in the Championship

Agree with all of that. The depth in the pack is work in progress. They have eyes on a few players, but it has been a waiting game to see which SL players would be sidelined after pre-season matches and those that would agree a season long loan to come to France. Greg Richards was the first he won't be the last. A couple of NRL guys they were talking to decided to stay in Oz.

Myself...I would prefer the team to grow the younger elite players this season. They haven't had the money available to make a statement with the team but the feeling within the squad is good, they seem very happy at the moment. By letting go those players who were not pulling their weight, or who thought themselves more important than the team/club has been a breath of fresh air. I'm quite surprised that Pélissier has buckled down to the task in hand mind you as he can be difficult.

Keeping this small squad fit will be a challenge. They seem focused at the moment

Let's see who gets to play on Saturday, Skoundri i hope, some exciting times ahead!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Good to see. Think it's better for both TO and France if they focus on young players even if it means they don't get promoted after a single season. As long as they can get back to the top tier for the 2025 season running into the WC, the more experience and depth the better for France. WC really is a once in a generation opportunity for the game in France - need to make the most of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2023 at 19:46, kiggy said:

I'm hoping he and Shorrocks gel. Long way to go though.

I've actually been really impressed with both. At least one of them was involved in all of Toulouse's tries.

My verdict so far is that they're both very good signings. Only problem is, if one of them gets injured or suspended who's gonna replace them?

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I've actually been really impressed with both. At least one of them was involved in all of Toulouse's tries.

My verdict so far is that they're both very good signings. Only problem is, if one of them gets injured or suspended who's gonna replace them?

Brochon

12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Stephane Guillon is in the 21 man squad this weekend to face Bradford.

If it's the big hooker that plays for the TO Elite team he looks like a good prospect 

I wil ask if he was on the plane this morning

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is it the same guy I'm thinking of? He's built like a big old fashioned British hooker which you rarely see in French Rugby league.

This guy ?

Moot point as he wasn't on the plane. Brochon should be on the bench though.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kiggy said:

This guy ?

Actually the guy I was thinking of looked different.

Very difficult to track players while watching an Elite One game as the numbers on players shirts don't match what is announced on the teamsheets. These little things need ironing out

2 hours ago, kiggy said:

This guy ?

Where is the young winger Etienne  Depeyre got to these days

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

20 minutes ago, audois said:

Where is the young winger Etienne  Depeyre got to these days

Doing a masters in Sports Management. I don't know much about him playing still, i'm not close enough to Toulouse to go and see the Elites play. If I was in the city I would go more often. 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2023 at 13:40, The Daddy said:

Sangare had two good games off the bench for Rhinos....well done for developing him

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Sangare had two good games off the bench for Rhinos....well done for developing him

Big unit but was too fragile to be honest. Getting out of his comfort zone playing with Leeds will only make him better I hope.

7 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Big unit but was too fragile to be honest. Getting out of his comfort zone playing with Leeds will only make him better I hope.

I thought he was one of Toulouse’s best forwards last season,he was certainly the one forward who gave them an impact off the bench.