Where did you go 2023

This is a continuation of a post last year in the Community Game section.

The main purpose is to encourage others to watch RL at a lower level than they do now. The community game and NCL must be the greatest bargain in sport.

Anything can be posted outside of super league but ideally it is a league, club or level you have not watched before. So a Wigan fan can post about Ince Rose Bridge or Swindon but not Warrington

To start things off 

West Warriors v Bedford. Challenge Cup Rd 1. 

A crowd of about 80 watched this at Kings House School Grounds which was once the Civil Service Sports Club and whose RU team CS 1863 were at home on the mai pitch with less spectators. There was no charge for either game. The ground is on the banks of the Thames in Chiswick. 

Wests opened the scoring and dominates early on, with the result never really in doubt. The BBC a has the result as 32 12 but I also saw 34 reported and I actually had a higher score.

The Challenge Cup used to have clear rules on grounds, they had to be railed, and capable of allowing a gate to be taken. The pitch used was however not railed and for those interested no programme was issued.

a number of those in attendance then walked 10 minutes to Chiswick RU to see Hammersmith v Dublin, the type of fixture that makes this tournament so much more interesting in the early rounds than later. 

The next round has some interesting ties with the RAF at home which could be in the wilds of Lincolnshire and it will be interesting if Hull Dockers can stage their match with Midland H on what is an attractive but not enclosed ground.

Hopefully others will post and will have better knowledge of the players than I did as a neutral.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, groundhopper said:

This is a continuation of a post last year in the Community Game section.

The main purpose is to encourage others to watch RL at a lower level than they do now. The community game and NCL must be the greatest bargain in sport.

Anything can be posted outside of super league but ideally it is a league, club or level you have not watched before. So a Wigan fan can post about Ince Rose Bridge or Swindon but not Warrington

To start things off 

West Warriors v Bedford. Challenge Cup Rd 1. 

A crowd of about 80 watched this at Kings House School Grounds which was once the Civil Service Sports Club and whose RU team CS 1863 were at home on the mai pitch with less spectators. There was no charge for either game. The ground is on the banks of the Thames in Chiswick. 

Wests opened the scoring and dominates early on, with the result never really in doubt. The BBC a has the result as 32 12 but I also saw 34 reported and I actually had a higher score.

The Challenge Cup used to have clear rules on grounds, they had to be railed, and capable of allowing a gate to be taken. The pitch used was however not railed and for those interested no programme was issued.

a number of those in attendance then walked 10 minutes to Chiswick RU to see Hammersmith v Dublin, the type of fixture that makes this tournament so much more interesting in the early rounds than later. 

The next round has some interesting ties with the RAF at home which could be in the wilds of Lincolnshire and it will be interesting if Hull Dockers can stage their match with Midland H on what is an attractive but not enclosed ground.

Hopefully others will post and will have better knowledge of the players than I did as a neutral.

Hey Groundhopper, thanks for coming down to the game. The first game was my side London Chargers vs North Herts Crusaders (Wests won away at Skirlaugh and I think Bedford lost to Brentwood). I scored the game as 38-12 to Chargers with 8 tries and 3 conversions for us.

We'll now have a London derby against Wests in the 2nd round which (I imagine) will be at Wasps FC over in Acton. This is a rematch of the last 2 season's Southern Conference Grand Final and should be a cracker 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Will Holt said:

Hey Groundhopper, thanks for coming down to the game. The first game was my side London Chargers vs North Herts Crusaders (Wests won away at Skirlaugh and I think Bedford lost to Brentwood). I scored the game as 38-12 to Chargers with 8 tries and 3 conversions for us.

We'll now have a London derby against Wests in the 2nd round which (I imagine) will be at Wasps FC over in Acton. This is a rematch of the last 2 season's Southern Conference Grand Final and should be a cracker 

Thanks Will.  Was a bit confused as I knew Wests were up at Skirlaugh.

Looking forward to the derby game in the next round.  When will the ground be confirmed?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I’m intending to watch Hull Dockers v Midlands Hurricanes. The Willows is just a park pitch with no physical way of restricting who can watch the game so it will be interesting to see if they play the match there. I can’t see them taking the game to Craven Park either. 

Good idea for a thread.

I mentioned this on the coverage thread but I went to watch West Bowling v Waterhead. A close first half (6-6 at half time) gave way into a more one-sided second half as the home side got the better of the physical battle - with one or two shots which bordered on naughty. Probably about 250-300 in attendance and I was impressed by the facilities.

Planning to watch Siddal v West Hull in the next round, Siddal is pretty close to where I live now.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 14/02/2023 at 07:45, Gomersall said:

I’m intending to watch Hull Dockers v Midlands Hurricanes. The Willows is just a park pitch with no physical way of restricting who can watch the game so it will be interesting to see if they play the match there. I can’t see them taking the game to Craven Park either. 

Craven Park it is.

• 2 weeks later...

British Police 18 Westgate 22

Close fought Challenge Cup Tie.

In the first half the Police looked the fitter but not necessarily the more skilled. I think half time it was 12 4.

Westgate turned it around in the second half and looked the more motivated as well as the better

Kicking made the final score closer than it should have been, with the Police scoring three from four and Westgate 1 from 5

Crowd counted by someone else at 230 with over half from Wakefield with almost no 'home' support' 

The venue was Portico Vine and what a great club they are. They dropped out of open age due to lack of numbers and that is usually the end of the club. Here they have kept with youth and built a new clubhouse , only recently opened. They have then come to an agreement with the Police to be their base. Nice bar and a range of food available. The facilities had been open all day with various age group side playing in the morning. Apparently first ever Challenge Cup time at the ground

The facilities include three pitches with the main one taped off today. Parking was mostly on grass but within the grounds . They even marked off the bays individually using white in the field and made some money by charging £2. There was no other admission charge but the parking and the Westgate fans would have made this is a lucrative day.

Portico hope to play a few merit table games at open age this season but I was told reliable opposition can be hard to find.

I would love to see them back in NW Mens league when ready

This is the best part of the Challenge Cup and draw is Monday for the next round. I really recommend a fixture to anyone.

• Like 3

On 14/02/2023 at 08:55, Just Browny said:

Planning to watch Siddal v West Hull in the next round, Siddal is pretty close to where I live now.

I made good on this and, after a scrappy first 20 minutes, it was a really good quality, nip and tuck game. I hope Siddal get another home tie in the 3rd round.

Both of the new grounds I've attended have benefited from significant RLWC2021 grants, it is fantastic to see community clubs playing in good facilities. The pitch was crazy dry for February though, rain needed.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Huddersfield A 66 Wakefield A 4

First time I had attended a reserve game at this level. 

With no team sheet available, hard to know the strength of each side but more youngsters with the visitors, who to be honest need to taught tacking and positioning. This was not (hopefully) players looking to step up a level.

Match played at Laund Hill, once Huddersfield YMCA. A bit run down but superior to anything in the RL amateurs, three pitches and I think a 4G one under construction, a 400 seat stand and bus stop type cover opposite plus a clubhouse of character and facilities open most of the time for other usage.

Attendance c200, not just family of players but many in club colours. 

Kick off was 10.30 so another early start for my fix. 

Met someone who worked with a player and picked them up. Afterwards they wanted RU so instead of Fartown for Lindsey and St Joseph’s ended up at Pontefract. I can’t stand 6 nations or premiership, but at this level the aim is to score tries, not win penalties and if you can accept how slow the game is, then watchable

It’s a good job I don’t chase likes. After being given a few, I mentioned going to RU.  I should have just made something up such as I put a cat in a wheelie bin, it would have been more popular.

Anyway just the greatest game today and Orrell SJ 12 Midland Hurricanes 19.

I have been to Bankes Avenue before when OSJ put about 90 points on Chorley but much more even today. The hosts shaded the first half and Hurricanes made the same mistake twice for a 12 4 score line. I thought OSJ tackled very well.

There had been some niggle in the first half but as Hurricanes fought back, there were a number of brawls and high tackles. The referee took no nonsense and 2 from Hurricanes and one OSJ were shown red cards and with 3 yellows were very briefly at 10 a side.

OSJ handled every aspect of the day well including a crowd of 400 plus.

The club would be an asset to the NCL with a railed off pitch, nice clubhouse and a small bit of cover attached. This was totally inadequate for the crowd and there was a choice between a restricted view or getting wet. 

I think they have won the North West League two years running and look a club on the up. Anyone in Wigan should give them a visit, but a dry day is suggested.

I have loved the challenge cup this year and whilst the format later on is not to everyone’s liking the choice of ties in this round was brilliant. 

• Like 4

Great idea for a thread…I’ll give it a go, although you might be able to tell who I go watch on a regular basis! 😀

Westgate Common 12-15 Hunslet ARLFC, Challenge Cup 3rd round

Great game and not a backward step taken from either side. Hunslet in the NCL Prem and Westgate as YML Prem champs, in muddy conditions and in front of a big crowd (talk of around 500 and I wouldn’t disagree although crowd estimates aren’t my forte!). 

6-0 Westgate at half time. Hunslet break late in the game at 8-8 (and subsequent drop goal) settled it. Westgate got one back just before the final whistle. 

Westgate have only been reformed for the last few years, won YML div 1 the previous year and the Prem last season. I think they need a few things sorting if they’re to apply for the NCL…they’re on an undersized pitch currently but I think there are plans for that and they’d started looking at interest in a junior section last year.

Excellent local side who lost a couple of lads to Dewsbury before the start of the season and more than held their own against a top amateur team, having beaten Crosfields (NCL div1) in the last round.  

• Like 2

I was also at the Westgate v Hunslet ARL match. My first amateur game for a few decades and I loved it.
Was shocked at how large (I'd say nearer 800 Curly perm) and vociferous the crowd was. Much bigger than my "professional" club's crowd yesterday and Westgate also did a nice programme which is more than most Championship/League One clubs I visit can be bothered to do.
Good bar facilities and the fact there was no barrier around the pitch almost made it feel like you were part of the action.
Didn't know much about Westgate until I read about their Challenge Cup exploits this season. The Cup's current format and BBC coverage has given the competition a new lease of life for lower league and amateur clubs IMHO and I hope to be back at Westgate for their match against Donny Toll Bar this Saturday.

• Like 4

On 12/03/2023 at 08:37, groundhopper said:

It’s a good job I don’t chase likes. After being given a few, I mentioned going to RU.  I should have just made something up such as I put a cat in a wheelie bin, it would have been more popular.

Anyway just the greatest game today and Orrell SJ 12 Midland Hurricanes 19.

I have been to Bankes Avenue before when OSJ put about 90 points on Chorley but much more even today. The hosts shaded the first half and Hurricanes made the same mistake twice for a 12 4 score line. I thought OSJ tackled very well.

There had been some niggle in the first half but as Hurricanes fought back, there were a number of brawls and high tackles. The referee took no nonsense and 2 from Hurricanes and one OSJ were shown red cards and with 3 yellows were very briefly at 10 a side.

OSJ handled every aspect of the day well including a crowd of 400 plus.

The club would be an asset to the NCL with a railed off pitch, nice clubhouse and a small bit of cover attached. This was totally inadequate for the crowd and there was a choice between a restricted view or getting wet. 

I think they have won the North West League two years running and look a club on the up. Anyone in Wigan should give them a visit, but a dry day is suggested.

I have loved the challenge cup this year and whilst the format later on is not to everyone’s liking the choice of ties in this round was brilliant. 

Enjoyed this game as well Grasshopper. Right about the weather but would have put the crowd much higher. Super game that pictured where our game is/ should be going.

A Midlands  outfit  that has come so far since it's last visit to Wigan when Tom Tsang's Bears  had their inaugural shock introduction to the then NCL 's Wigan St Cuthberts.

A clubhouse absolutely jammed with members ,kids, prams ,designer apparel,  with outside bars changing barrels more than once. Ticking all IMG;s boxes before they even start !

An Orrell St James that, like most Premiers in the Regional Leagues, are clearly Tier 4 standard

Oh for the day when the RFL classify  clubs according to their offer instead of  the competition in which they play .And even better a true pyramid into  Tier 4 ( up and down ) and who knows ,  even above .

For the moment though  Community RL has so much to offer both on and off the park Good day out.  Watched this match for an entrance fee of just £1. I recommend everyone take in a local match if only to realise why you love this game so much.

Even Jonny Lomax got wet with the rest of us at his own Alma Mater last saturday....

• Like 8

Guiseley 22 Rycroft 24

This one was described as a friendly but was anything but. 

I don’t keep records of such things but in terms of penalties, punches and brawls, this had as many as any game I can remember. No obvious reason as the teams are not local, nor have any type of history with both having been in abeyance.

Maybe some of the players were playing for the first time in a while and were fired up.

Two red cards and probably should have been more.

I don’t think I should admit but really enjoyed the biff.

Guiseley we’re playing their fire match at open age for about ten years but had kept some youth teams going and I could be wrong but think they may only be playing ‘ friendlies , this year. They were not on the merit table list I saw. 

The pitch is part of a large park, with directions being accurate in stating opposite McDonalds. The car park is much harder to find. There is a dressing room block and separate tea bar and the pitch was roped down one side.

The match was close with Guiseley two points behind intercepting the ball 3 mins from the end and the player ran 70 yard before being caught. The game could have gone either way as both sides hit the crossbar without scoring from conversions.

Attendance was c70

• Like 4

Talking about biff, it spilled over at Westgate Common v Doncaster Toll Bar yesterday as the ref abandoned the match after 30mins at 0-0. Last years two top sides in the YML Prem so massive shame as another good turnout. Safe to say, discipline has occasionally been an issue for Westgate. 

Agreed with the ref completely in his decision but I was furious because I almost chose to go to Dewsbury Celtic v newly promoted Shaw Cross as part of the series of Heavy Woollen games this year, which ended up 16-17 to Shaw Cross. Livid I missed it! 

Edited by Curly perm

Down under….Tweed Heads Seagulls 32 Norths Devils 26 in the QRL.

Tweed dates from 1908 and play out of Piggabeen Sports complex ( a collection of rugby fields and a block of changing rooms). No idea where the name comes from. Playing over the border in NSWs its always a challenge during ‘summer time’ knowing the kick off time because Queensland does not do ‘summer time’

There is a concrete tiered seating area uncovered so you either get sunburn or as today when it rained, wet. There is an electronic scoreboard in one corner which was well used today…32-0 norths at HT. Norths bounced back in second half scoring 26 unanswered point….58 points all scored at the same end. Guess which end I was stood towards!

Norths are two time defending Q champs 

$10 admission (NSW pesos are at par with the Queensland $). concessions half price and Titans members free (seagulls are a Titans farm team). Toby Sexton was in the Tweed line up and connor broadhurst (broncos) in the Norths line up (broncos farm team)

Healthy crowd but many of them were players, friends and families of players in the other grade games.

And yes….i made sure my vaccinations were up to date before crossing the border.

• Like 2

Shaw Cross Sharks v Saddleworth Rangers, NCL Div 2

Only got there at half time but was told it was 20-0 to the Sharks and a bit one sided in the first 40.

Shaw Cross picked up where they seemingly left off with an early second half walk-in try before Saddleworth got back into things with a couple of tries themselves. Bit of aggro as a Shaw Cross forward was sin binned for lifting a lad off the floor in the tackle and shoving him back down. 

The mini comeback was extinguished with a Shaw Cross interception, pass out to the winger, hopeful basketball pass back inside whilst under pressure, before another lob inside again to a supporting player to take it in. One of those tries where it was more likely to hit the deck at three different occasions but came off. Not a classic in the second half but a good win for the Sharks to maintain their unbeaten status in the first few games. 

Decent set up at Shaw Cross. Little tea/beer/sarnie shack next to the pitch and the club house bar a short walk away. Not sure on crowd, maybe 100 but my brain doesn’t really handle crowd estimations! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, groundhopper said:

I doubt many could answer the question ‘ which RL side play in the grounds of an art gallery.’

The answer is Liverpool Lizards

hmm poor internet but will continue

The building is Sudley House built in 1820 and belonging to Liverpool Museums. A rugby pitch has been laid out and yesterday was the first game on for the Lizards who have moved less than one mile. The grounds are otherwise a public park with the single pitch being shared with Mossley Park RU.

I was told the clubs have a good rapport and share some players which was interesting yesterday with the RL at 1.30 and the RU straight after.

I have nothing but praise for anyone who plays RL for 80mins but to play the other code straight afterwards is really something. At least they get long rest patches during the second game for those periods when nothing happens. I think three maybe 4 played in both but I left after the RL.

The changing rooms are 300 yards away across the road as part of a multi sports club with football and tennis as at least.

Lizard are not pretending to be building a super league club in Liverpool but are just a group of people who enjoy playing the game. Their twitter account encouraged anyone interested to come and watch and apart from those with the visitors no more than about 5 did do.

On the field was a disaster for the Lizards. they had a small squad and suffered injuries with people paying out of position. It may not have mattered too much is the opposition were not Bank Quay who are far too good for this division. I made the score 6 to 78 but the ref who I am sure is right had it at 84.

Really friendly people and hopefully a few wins will come their way this year  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

April 22 @ Rugeley

My home county has always been limited in terms of RL clubs. An attempt at Stoke last year may not have resulted in a game being played and before that only Burntwood for a couple of seasons and Wolverhampton playing just over the border have had teams playing in the county.

I was therefore pleased to see Rugeley join the merit league for this season. It may not have been a good idea to play the first game against Telford who are always strong. Apparently the club is partly a legacy of miners moving from St Helens a long time ago.

it was clear early on there was a big difference. Rugeley’s first three touches were a dropped catch and two kick offs from tries being scored, nil 16 after maybe 5 mins.

I thought the hosts tried hard and made some good moves and I think the 4 tries scored is more important than the probable 15 conceded. The final score was given as 20 82 although I had more for the visitors. 

Rugeley at least for this game were not a combination of players from local clubs but basically their RU team. I was told the new tackle rule in RU was a factor but even if they wanted to switch, we have nothing to offer.

The match was played at the local leisure centre on a poor quality pitch as the RU ground is being reseeded but they hope to be at the other venue before the season end, which will give me a chance to gauge their progress. 

What was good to see was over a 100:turn up to watch

Hopefully another club in the small acorns category

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Interesting weekend.

On friday  evening two of my thirty something daughters took up an offer from the local rugby union club to try out female tag training .

25 turned up and they loved it ! Seems to be a cross between tag and masters  with basic fitness in mind. Rl doesn't offer that at the moment - over to you gents at the RFL.....

On then to my real conundrum. 

Wigan was awash  with top Community games on saturday but in the end I plumped for Lock Lanes visit to St Pats. I was not disappointed.  Pats have had a baptism into what is an extremely tough Premier  division and the game went to the wire before they snatched their first win of the season.

Good to see  former pro players back into their junior clubs but why does it not happen as much in Lancashire as over the Hill ?  Recently O'loughlin and leueluia as well as Long and Gleeson have tread softer soil in local RU. The Cas team had solid ex SL lads in their side

But the Pats had Tom Spencer back in the ranks  and ground out a fine win in front of a few hundred fans. Good to catch up with some old mates as well - craik hard to beat in these NCL clubhouses after the game...... a visit to at least one  should be on every true RL fans bucket list

Not driving  as my lad had nicked my car for a golf session.

Guinness tastes so much better after two pints.....

• Like 1

@groundhopper you really are a proper proper Rugby League fan.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham 38 Coventry 34

The original plan was Worcester v Telford but this was posted as off on Friday on the visitors Twitter.

Although I prefer a ground I had not visited before, the above was an attractive and local for me, fixture. 

I had been to Avery Fields before, home to Bournville RU before when Birmingham previously spent a season at the venue. The other plus is that I knew it had a balcony, useful with the forecast. The ground has a 4G pitch with a white rail, identical to other clubs provided with the facilities by the RFU

The two clubs had played in the Midlands final last year with Birmingham winning after Coventry had win both league meeting.

Birmingham scored two early tries and were 22 up at half time. Coventry fought back strongly in the second half and on the 80 minute mark took the lead and then scored again 2 mins later. That made the score 26 34.

There was then a surprising amount of additional time, 14 mins in total. The hosts got back to 32 24 and I was surprised they did not take a kick to draw level, instead kicking for touch. The players obviously knew better as they then scored beneath the posts with the conversion being the last kick of the game.

Thoroughly enjoyable and spoke to the parents of two players at uni, one of whom only wanted to play RL.

There had been some comments reported on here pre game about an admission charge of £6 and about Midland Hurricanes having moved into Bulldogs area. No signs of any problems on the day between two good c.ubs who have a rivalry for over 20 years.

Should they charge this level. My own view is it is their choice but compared with other sports £6 is cheap for the entertainment. A programme was available for £2 in addition.

To be honest paying £2.40 for a small mars bar and a 330ml bottle of water at the bar was a bigger rip off.