Where did you go 2023

After the earlier question which RL side play in the grounds of an art gallery, this one is which one shares a car park with a castle.

A further question that may help is who overlook an estuary with the opposite bank being in another country, at least in UK terms.

The question is made harder by the fact that I had never heard of the hosts until three weeks ago and who were playing their first game at least under their present name Clwyd Cobras.

Although a short season with clubs only playing 4 to 6 matches depending on success in the play offs, 5 clubs is the most I think North Wales has had at this level. 

Crusaders deserve some of the credit with Cobras using their kit even with the badge etc but I don’t know the extent of their involvement.

A good start too, as visitors Flintshire Falcons were last years champions.

The final score was 56 30 to Cobras. The standard, especially in attack play was as high if not higher than some more established leagues although was clear inexperience inevitably as well.

As indicated at the top, a nice setting between Flint Castle and the football ground. The pitch is used by Flint RU, the changing rooms and bar are marked as belonging to the football club although they change inside an enclosed ground.

Enjoyed the trip as did my 4 year old and nice to travel by train, especially as everything ran smoothly.

In case anyone interested the five clubs are based subject to confirmation at Flint, Mold, Bethesda and Llandudno plus Rhosllanerchrug, south of Wrexham. The places are of character and 2 are coastal and a third has views into Snowdonia so I recommend to anyone, they should try one.

The next round of matches includes Flintshire away at Conwy. This can be checked on Facebook but I understand at Llandudno.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, groundhopper said:

After the earlier question which RL side play in the grounds of an art gallery, this one is which one shares a car park with a castle.

A further question that may help is who overlook an estuary with the opposite bank being in another country, at least in UK terms.

The question is made harder by the fact that I had never heard of the hosts until three weeks ago and who were playing their first game at least under their present name Clwyd Cobras.

Although a short season with clubs only playing 4 to 6 matches depending on success in the play offs, 5 clubs is the most I think North Wales has had at this level. 

Crusaders deserve some of the credit with Cobras using their kit even with the badge etc but I don’t know the extent of their involvement.

The final score was 56 30 to Cobras. The standard, especially in attack play was as high if not higher than some more established leagues although was clear inexperience inevitably as well.

As indicated at the top, a nice setting between Flint Castle and the football ground. The pitch is used by Flint RU, the changing rooms and bar are marked as belonging to the football club although they change inside an enclosed ground.

Enjoyed the trip as did my 4 year old and nice to travel by train, especially as everything ran smoothly.

In case anyone interested the five clubs are based subject to confirmation at Flint, Mold, Bethesda and Llandudno plus Rhosllanerchrug, south of Wrexham. The places are of character and 2 are coastal and a third has views into Snowdonia so I recommend to anyone, they should try one.

The next round of matches includes Flintshire away at Conwy. This can be checked on Facebook but I understand at Llandudno.

Great report, wasn't aware of any RL league around that area. Apparently the grand final is scheduled as a curtain raiser to the Crusaders vs Cornwall League 1 game too having just had a quick Google!

10 hours ago, groundhopper said:

You must have turned spellchecker off to type Rhosllanerchrug.  Id have loved to hear Eddie Waring commentating on their games😊

Cynon Valley Cougars 18 Rhondda Outlaws 64

I think this is the first season and first match for Cynon Valley at open age but they have a thriving juniors section as does numerous parts of South Wales. 

I have counted 14 open age sides in Wales this season which may be a record even if North Wales clubs only play 4 to 6 games. The total clubs may now equal or exceed the number in the former Cumberland.

Todays visitors were last years champions and this showed one of the problem for expansion areas. Rhondda could play at a higher level but there is no league whilst Cynon Valley had players new to the games. Early on, one home player was tackled and went to the ground releasing it RU style whilst another beat two players for pre and then kicked past a third on the first tackle. 

The Cynon Valley players played well in places but inexperience showed.

Venue today was Hirwaun Miners ground at the head of the valley, downstream is Mountain Ash where South Wales played semi pro for a year. Just a railed off pitch but on a nice sunny day, attractive with a view of high hills in most directions.

There does still seem an appetite for the game in the valleys but the issue is it may be too spread for a semi pro side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sunshine Coast Falcons v Redcliffe Dolphins in the Queensland Cup.

Sunshine Coast Stadium is located in Bokarina, about 8kms south of Mooloolaba, one of the main tourist spots on the Sunshine Coast, which is about 80km north of Brisbane. The ground is Easily accessible by local bus from Mooloolaba or Caloundra.

Ground located in a large sports precinct and consists of one modern Grandstand on the west side offering good shade. East side is a large grassy hill with smaller grassy hills behind each set of posts and a large electronic scoreboard at the south end. No shade so make sure you take sunscreen!

The ground has been used for NRL games during the pandemic and now hosts one or more NRL games each season. Dolphins v Eels and Bunnies v Broncos wil be played there later this season. There is plenty of room to add grandstands and terraces for a much larger stadium should NRL expansion look to the sunshine coast.

Standard 10 dollar admission, 5 dollar concessions and kids free. Probably 700 or so attendance, but unlike most Q Cup games this was the only game played ( no colts or women's games as preliminaries). No programme or team sheet.

Sunshine Coast play in gold shirts with a black V with black shorts, redcliffe in red shirts with white shorts but sadly this years shirt does not incorporate the traditional white V. Redcliffe are the falcons nearest opponents in the Q cup.

Redcliffe, with Albert Kelly on the bench and Robert Jennings in Centre, won 26-16 with both teams well placed for play offs). Kelly scored a try. The teams were playing for a cup in memory of a player who played for both clubs who tragically died while playing for the falcons back in 2015. The players wife and children were at the game and presented the cup to Redcliffe.

A very nice late afternoons game with Redcliffe 12-0 up at half time and comfortably retaining the lead in the second half. Redcliffe are a feeder club for the parent Dolphins club, while sunshine coast are feeders for the Storm. Kodi Nikorima’s younger brother Jayden playing 5/8 for Falcons and very lively ( he scored 4 tries last week, 9 for the season, third best in league).

• Like 2

Rugeley 36 Sherwood Wolf Hound Academy !! 54

Second time, I have seen Rugeley this season , initially they played at the Leisure centre whilst the RU ground was being reseeded.

Ninety points in total today and over 100 previously do not indicate a good game just poor defence. This was a match in the Midlands Merit table and that may be the best way forward at this level. Rugeley have played at least three matches this year which is more than anyone in the  Midlands League so far. The benefit is that is teams don’t travel to you, you don’t play them again. There is however the difficulty of finding fixtures. Being new to the game, they are solely improving but until they do, wins will be hard to come by. Staring poorly, they did win the second half.

Sherwood are one of the successes of local RL, having already played in the Challenge Cup and taking the step up to Yorkshire League and now running a second team, this was referred to as their academy but was an adult team. 

Rugeley is not an attractive town and whilst very basic for an RU club, the pitch had a surprising attractive setting with trees on both sides, one adjacent to a canal and behind the posts the chancel of the parish church at the top of a grass bank.

Easts Tigers v Central Queensland Capras.  Totally Workwear Stadium (aka Langlands Park) and Souths Logan Magpies v Burleigh Bears ( CBUS superstadium)

It was a big weekend in QRL…on Saturday 1 v 2 as Souths took over the top spot with a crushing 36-22 win over then league leading Bears. The game was played as a curtain raiser to the South Sydney and titans NRL game. Entrance was included in the tickets for the NRL game. CBUS is a great stadium with excellent sight lines from all parts. Pretty uncomfortable on a sunny day but that was not a problem on this occasion.

Bears (titans farm team) had Ken Maumalo on the wing (2 tries) with souths (broncos farm team) naming Broncos Jordan Pereira in the centres (1 try). Tristan Sailor (Wendell’s lad), who has been ripping it up at full back for souths didnt play as he is still at the Broncos during origin absences. Souths scored in the first minute and controlled the game throughout. They have won 6 in a row with their only loss being at the Sunshine Coast. Souths move on to play bottom and winless Ipswich at the iconic Davies Park next Sunday.Jets have conceded 494 points in 11 games this season. Ill be taking my abacus with me on Sunday!

On Sunday it was 3 v 4 at the newly renovated langlands park. After winning their first 6 games of the season Capras, who are based in Rockhampton and a dolphins farm team, have hit a bump in the road losing 3 of their last 4 games before this. Tigers, now rebranded as Brisbane Tigers (Storm farm team) in an effort to land the 18th NRL team, have suffered two narrow losses so far. Admission was standard Q rates ($10 adults, $5 concessions) and teamsheets free.

Tigers included Marion Seve, Ryley Jacks, Tariq Sims and George Jennings in their line up with Capras dressing Edrick Lee (2 tries). Game was back and forth with lead changing hands throughout. Tigers came from behind to lead 20-14 late on when Capras got a try out wide on the final hooter but the conversion was missed. Tigers win 20-18.

The new Grandstand is now open at Langlands but it hasnt made any significant impact on capacity. Although it has two levels the upper level appears to be limited to corporate and media facilities. The level 1 seating is no increase on the old stands capacity and the ground is still limited to 4-5000. I would estimate a crowd of around a thousand at the game. Any tigers NRL team would need to play elsewhere (which in Brisbane means Suncorp…(unlike Sydney with several new or renovated stadia to choose from), the only rectangular stadium in Brisbane with a capacity of 10k or more is Lang Park. The clubs souvenir shop has now been moved from the back of the terrace to outside the ground to accommodate the new stand (why couldnt it have been incorporated into the new stand I wonder). The old tea bar,  which used to sell the scrumptious Garlos pies (former rabbitohs and roosters player Sean Garlick turned Movie star and now CEO of the piemaker) , has been replaced by a modern concessions incorporated into the stand but the fare on offer appears to now be outsourced with the usual ‘same old’ items. There is a long established and thriving Eats leagues club ( thank god they havent rebranded that) with cheap beer and great food for the bargain fee of $2 annual membership. Although open, the club is currently under reno (Australian for renovation).

Always a great day out at the Q.

• Like 2

Souths Logan Magpies 38 Ipswich Jets 28 at Davies Park.

This was first v last with The Jets winless and conceding plenty and the Magpies having lost just one game.  Well what do you know….Jets spent most of the first half in the lead only conceding back to back converted tries in the last 3 minutes of the first half (HT 20-12 Magpies). Similarly they conceded another converted try in the last two minutes to extend Souths winning margin from 32-28 with Ipswich pushing for the win. They really deserved better. Admission $10, five for seniors and broncos members. No teamsheets.

Magpies were boosted with Peirera, Paix, Sailor and Arthurs returning from the parent club Brisbane. Peirera and Sailor scored singles and Arthurs got two tries.

Davies Park reeks of history. Its a 5 minute bus ride or 30 minute walk from Central Brisbane, located by the Brisbane River. The name souths refers to being south of the river, but the location is the West End of the city centre area. It is now quite an upmarket area with restaurants, cafes, bars and a gin distillery. Named after the Alderman who campaigned for its development, The ground goes back to the 19th century and has been used for speedway ( in the 1920s) and was sequestered by the US army during Douglas McArthurs tenancy in Brissie after leaving the Philippines.

Souths are the longest running Brisbane team and played at Davies Park since 1920s. There once was a grandstand but that is long gone. There is a small hill along one side with the bar ( not a leagues club, souths leagues is far away in Acacia Ridge) together with several sets of wooden bleachers each two rows.

The bar is full of photos of old boys and champions past and the game hosted the annual old boys get together with special attention to the clubs last premiers from 2008. The club is a history of RL in Australia by itself.  Perhaps their most famous alumni are Wayne Bennett, coach before moving to the then NSW league to coach Canberra Raiders, and Mal Meninga, the flying policeman. However there is a long list of other players who went on to play origin or for the Kangaroos. Current origin players who played for souths include David Fifita ( the slimmer one!) and Tevita Pangai Junior.

Any league fan visiting Brisbane should try to get to a game at Davies Park….its a pilgrimage. Places like this are rapidly disappearing.

• Like 2

Shevington Sharks 28 Hinckley 10

More serious RL than in previous weeks.

Shevington have stepped up in level in recent years and have moved back from a college where I had seen them before to the village.

Facilities remain basic with a taped off pitch some distance from modern changing rooms and recreation room selling chocolate, coffer etc but hot food only on a Sunday morning. With a number of junior teams, I imagine a busier facility then but nearly 200 in attendance in lovely weather.

Hindley have lost every game this season but you would not know that, certainly the result was about right but I doubt there is any difference on the field between the Premier Division in the North West and Conference 3.

Journey home was the worst I have had on the trains. As always the lack of joined you thinking is so obvious. The line from Warrington south was closed and had to head via Manchester, having just missed a train and one cancelled off Gathurst so 58 mins on a uninteresting station.

On Piccadilly by 7.20 having taken over three  hours from the ground. In any other organisation the crew coming from Southport could have announced the problem before Wigan as many of us changing there and could have saved half an hour as train going to Manchester in any event. 

Train home from there was 8.15 departure and Avanti lived up to their reputation by cancelling at 8.25. I fail to believe that was when they realised there was a problem. 

Staff suggested a slow train to Stoke, then to Derby for a 16 min connection for the last train. We were then held outside for Derby for 10 mins and saw the last train go. 

Home by taxi paid by Railway company at just before 12.30am.

All this with a four year old who had been up since 7 as we visited Southport first. 

5 hours ago, groundhopper said:

Shevington have stepped up in level in recent years and have moved back from a college where I had seen them before to the village.

Facilities remain basic with a taped off pitch some distance from modern changing rooms and recreation room selling chocolate, coffer etc but hot food only on a Sunday morning. With a number of junior teams, I imagine a busier facility then but nearly 200 in attendance in lovely weather.

Hindley have lost every game this season but you would not know that, certainly the result was about right but I doubt there is any difference on the field between the Premier Division in the North West and Conference 3.

Journey home was the worst I have had on the trains. As always the lack of joined you thinking is so obvious. The line from Warrington south was closed and had to head via Manchester, having just missed a train and one cancelled off Gathurst so 58 mins on a uninteresting station.

On Piccadilly by 7.20 having taken over three  hours from the ground. In any other organisation the crew coming from Southport could have announced the problem before Wigan as many of us changing there and could have saved half an hour as train going to Manchester in any event. 

Train home from there was 8.15 departure and Avanti lived up to their reputation by cancelling at 8.25. I fail to believe that was when they realised there was a problem. 

Staff suggested a slow train to Stoke, then to Derby for a 16 min connection for the last train. We were then held outside for Derby for 10 mins and saw the last train go. 

All this with a four year old who had been up since 7 as we visited Southport first. 

You deserve a medal for that. Unbelievable how quickly the railways have fallen to third world standards. 

On 14/02/2023 at 08:55, Just Browny said:

Good idea for a thread.

I mentioned this on the coverage thread but I went to watch West Bowling v Waterhead. A close first half (6-6 at half time) gave way into a more one-sided second half as the home side got the better of the physical battle - with one or two shots which bordered on naughty. Probably about 250-300 in attendance and I was impressed by the facilities.

Planning to watch Siddal v West Hull in the next round, Siddal is pretty close to where I live now.

I've taken to watching Siddal when I have a free Saturday afternoon -  good set-up, good facilities.

Sitting right now in a less that sunny LLanrwst waiting for North Wales v Hurricanes.

The ground is not as good a that yesterday from Torfaen Tigers v Rhondda Outlaws at Talywain. However as with any ground in this level in Wales the welcome is good and Crusaders are doing what they can in difficult circumstances. Hurricanes have just arrived finding the bridge between town and ground was narrower than the coach. 

Back to yesterday and an even game even if Torfaen scored most of the early and late points. I noted the score but have left the note at home but I think 32 34.

You won’t find Torfaen on a road at last but it is the name of the local authority for Cwmbran and Pontypool as well as the World heritage centre of Blaenavon. Talywain is between the last two. I was told they were one of 15 RU teams competing for players in the Borough.

Facilities comprise a covered enclosure half way up a grass bank and two small other areas of cover with the banking just vanishing into woodland.

THis was Torfaen’s first game of the season, they have been running for 25 years frequently in national leagues and the collapse of Southern Conference West left them in limbo and early matches have been cancelled. I had seen Rhonda a couple of weeks ago and they looked really good and the Tigers performance suggested they would do OK this season.

Back to today and does anyone know a good way of explaining that Father’s Day should be a day when father does what he enjoys, rather that what is expected of him. I haven’t managed to find the words myself and probably best I don’t try. Maybe a gift for the wife to celebrate the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/06/2023 at 14:47, groundhopper said:

Fair play for taking the little one to that - as far as Gathurst station goes, was the pub adjacent to the station open? I find it makes even the most tedious waits more interesting 😄

1 hour ago, groundhopper said:

Sitting right now in a less that sunny LLanrwst waiting for North Wales v Hurricanes.

The ground is not as good a that yesterday from Torfaen Tigers v Rhondda Outlaws at Talywain. However as with any ground in this level in Wales the welcome is good and Crusaders are doing what they can in difficult circumstances. Hurricanes have just arrived finding the bridge between town and ground was narrower than the coach. 

Back to yesterday and an even game even if Torfaen scored most of the early and late points. I noted the score but have left the note at home but I think 32 34.

You won’t find Torfaen on a road at last but it is the name of the local authority for Cwmbran and Pontypool as well as the World heritage centre of Blaenavon. Talywain is between the last two. I was told they were one of 15 RU teams competing for players in the Borough.

Facilities comprise a covered enclosure half way up a grass bank and two small other areas of cover with the banking just vanishing into woodland.

THis was Torfaen’s first game of the season, they have been running for 25 years frequently in national leagues and the collapse of Southern Conference West left them in limbo and early matches have been cancelled. I had seen Rhonda a couple of weeks ago and they looked really good and the Tigers performance suggested they would do OK this season.

Back to today and does anyone know a good way of explaining that Father’s Day should be a day when father does what he enjoys, rather that what is expected of him. I haven’t managed to find the words myself and probably best I don’t try. Maybe a gift for the wife to celebrate the day.

Re fathers day…i have managed to get my way by suggesting to kids and wife if they want to go out for lunch to celebrate fathers day they should invite the insurance man and the milkman while i go to the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Redcliffe Dolphins v Townsville Blackhawks. QRL

The Dolphins, farm team of the NRL dolphins continue to play at the redeveloped and renamed Kayo Stadium (previously Dolphin Stadium) which is much larger than most QRL teams homes and hosts 3 or 4 NRL games a season. Townsville are a farm team of the Cowboys.

The stadium adjoins the large Dolphins leagues club.It was 4th v 11th with strong expectations of a Dolphins win. Up to mid June they had won 7 in a row but lost leads in the last 5 minutes in their last two games.

Dolphins team included Brayden McGrady after his try scoring long awaited NRL debut the previous week along with Robert Jennings. Blackhawks were loaded with NRL experience including Kyle Feldt, Gehamat Shibasaki, Jack Gosiewski Sam Macintyre, Pat Kaufusi and Jayden Hodges.

Townsville kicked off and in the first set of six Gosiewski was sent off for a coathanger tackle leaving Blackhawks to play 79 minutes a man short. And things got worse! From the penalty Dolphins went down the field and scored a converted try. Blackhawks put the kick off into touch….dolphins went back down the field and scored another converted try….12-0 and another 72 minutes to play shorthanded.  Then something clicked, by halftime they were only 18-16 down and amazingly took the lead with half an hour to play. Redcliffe regained the lead with a try from a play the ball with 10 mins to go but then gave away a penalty in the last minute which was converted to give the blackhawks a tie ( No golden point in the Q)

No programme or teamsheet, it was a fine but cold (for Queensland) afternoon with probably 1000-1200 watching.

On 18/06/2023 at 13:14, groundhopper said:

I was at that one, (my lad was playing for NW Crusaders under 7s in a tournament prior to the game). Although, not the greatest ground I've been to in terms of facilities, it was certainly one of the most picturesque I've ever been to! Stunning scenery, and what a thunderstorm in the second half! I convinced myself the all metal stand would act as a Faraday cage if it got struck by lightening. 🫣

I was also at Chester RU for the Cru game against Rochdale on Sunday. A really tidy little ground. 

Hats off to the Crusaders, they are really trying to get the kids of North Wales involved and seem to be building something special. As a Batley exile, it's so nice my lad has the option of playing league and really enjoying it. 

P.S. I live about 3 miles from Rhosllanerchrugog, and the locals just call it Rhos, and don't bother with the llanerchgrugog part of the name, thankfully for me. 😉

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nowt quite like a day out to southport….in this case the Southport Tigers in the Gold Coast league. And as a lad from Rochdale I always dreamed of seeing Hornets play down under…and today it happened…the opposition was Helensvale Hornets. Helensvale and Southport are neighbouring communities in the City of Gold Coast. Southport has a long history, well appointed ground with covered seating and a leagues club. They play as you would guess in ’Balmain colours’…..orange shirts with black V and black shorts. They are currently top of the 6 team league. Helensvale are sort of the poor relations, sitting bottom of the league with just one win from 12 games. They play in bottle green and black shirts….and wait for it….its biggest claim to fame is its railway station…..on the Gold Coast line from Brisbane with a connecting tram that serves the gold coast beach communities.

Southport dressed two players with top class experience…former Penrith Panther and Bulldog Sione Katoa and Cheyse Blair ( of course they would have to dress a real (castleford) tiger!). Southport are scoring an average 60 points a game with an 11-1 record. The Hornets are conceding an average of 60 points a game with a 1-11 record. So of course Helensvale would come out and take a 12-0 lead. Southport game back to win 60-24…so I suppose you could say the game was average.

No team sheet or programme. $7 admission ($5 concession) kids free. Crowd probably around 4-500.

A lovely winters afternoon at Southport…unless you are an Hornets fan.

• 4 weeks later...

Paradise found: Wynnum Manly Seagulls 30 Souths Logan Magpies 42

this was 3 v 1 in the penultimate round of the QRL. For the last few seasons Wynnum have been playing one game per season at Ron Stark Oval on North Stradbroke Island which lies in Redland Bay off the mainland communities of Manly, Cleveland and Wynnum. The Island is home for a large aboriginal population and Redland Council sponsor the game as part of promoting health and wellbeing in the community.

Ron Stark Oval (not an oval but a rectangular field) lies right by the beach with a large gassy hill on the opposite side. It is not enclosed so there is no entry fee. The annual game is the climax of a festival lasting a few days. Both clubs are feeders for the broncos ( and both teams had multiple players with NRL experience) and the broncos squad paid a visit to the festival along with the Matildas ( Australia’s womens soccer team) during their world cup stop in Brisbane. Ex Bronco, maroon and kangaroo Steve Renouf, who is heavily involved in aboriginal health programmes was game ‘host’ and is revered by the aboriginal community. A sunny winters day with temperature in the high twenties. 

It was a pleasure to attend the game with loads of local kids participating in pre game and half time activities. The setting is idyllic, sitting on the hill with Redland Bay in the background. The ground is home to the Straddie Sharks and there is a leagues/social club at one end.

Travel to ‘straddie’ is by train ( around an hour from Brisbane CBD to Cleveland) a short bus ride to the ferry terminal and a 20 minute ferry ride ($20 return). The ground is a modest 5 minute walk from Dunwich ferry terminal on the island.

I strongly recommend prospective visitors to Brisbane check out the date of the annual straddie game. The island is amazing…local buses take you to Amity Point, where wild Koalas can often be spotted in the trees and Point Lookout. Kangaroos ‘roam’ freely on the island and from June to October Whales are just offshore. The buses run all day with an all day ticket costing $10. Yesterday there were loads of whales enjoying the ocean off Point Lookout very close to the shore. Large green turtles also inhabit the waters. The beaches are stunning ( and yes warm enough for swimming even though its winter) and plenty of bush/coastal walking.

It really is a piece of paradise just 90 mins from Brissie. A wonderful day of nature, culture and footy. Do it…you wont regret it.