Match thread - Sheffield round 3

Keep The Faith

So we travel to Sheffield on Friday hoping to bounce back following Sunday’s disappointment against Swinton

Hopefully we will see the return of McGowan, Morton and the debut of Elliot Kear 

i can see it been a tough encounter but hopefully we can get the two points 

7 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

So we travel to Sheffield on Friday hoping to bounce back following Sunday’s disappointment against Swinton

Hopefully we will see the return of McGowan, Morton and the debut of Elliot Kear 

i can see it been a tough encounter but hopefully we can get the two points 

It will depend when the 12 days for HIA start.

Asked young McGowan on Sunday, if him and Dale pass the tests they CAN play on the 12th day.

As for the match Sheffield are on an up, this is going to be difficult. A MASSIVE drop in confidence followed by a massive 'ollocking, 2 lads keeping their heads out of the way, 1 possibly making a debut, a change needed to the 1 forward hop, skip and jump into the tackle 5 times over. We have to find a new game plan in which Josh Woods takes more charge. Swinton showed a) how a forward can run, their 18 was a revelation  and b) how not to play a 1 man up game. IF Linners can introduce a new game plan via a couple of training sessions or can reintroduce steel to our usual game then yes we can pull it off. I see 2 outcomes; we get back to normal and win a close game by around 6 points or Sheffield carry on their season's start comfortably. Hoping for the first option.

Edited by phildog

I thought beforehand that an upset might be on the cards.  With so many backs out and so little pace in the team Swinton were bound to be the team finding the gaps late in the game. We were bound to be playing a more conservative game. It was a question of what sort of lead we could build and whether we could defend it.  I think that it is fair to say that we weren't clinical enough during the spells when we were on top.  Win or lose we should be better on Friday.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Squad: 

Blake Brown Buchanan Campbell Flynn Hirst Johnson Kaye Kear Kibula Leak Lillycrop Manning Meadows McGowan Morton Reilly Walshaw Ward White Woods 

In: McGowan Morton Kear 

Out: Gledhill Richardson Burton 

Glad gledhills out. To me for a big lad he brings nothing to the game. Every time on Sunday he had virtually come to a standstill before being tackled. 

You know what to expect from Sheffield. A very physical game with one of your old players to the fore, trying his best to get one of yours in the bin. They do have a bit of pace in the backs and are on an upward trajectory at the moment - the have had slow starts to most of their recent seasons.

Against this you do have a decent record against them so it should be a close one. the outcome will all depend upon how both coaches have been able to gee up their teams. It should deserve a decent turnout.

I go for the Doggies by 4.

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Watch out folks there is a Peter Kay gig at the Arena near the OLP where the Eagles play and he is on stage at 8pm so it going to be very busy and car parking is going to be tight.

38 minutes ago, RogerT said:

Watch out folks there is a Peter Kay gig at the Arena near the OLP where the Eagles play and he is on stage at 8pm so it going to be very busy and car parking is going to be tight.

There's nearly 200 spaces in OLP car park if full at front follow road down side of wasteground boat load more 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You know what to expect from Sheffield. A very physical game with one of your old players to the fore, trying his best to get one of yours in the bin. They do have a bit of pace in the backs and are on an upward trajectory at the moment - the have had slow starts to most of their recent seasons.

Against this you do have a decent record against them so it should be a close one. the outcome will all depend upon how both coaches have been able to gee up their teams. It should deserve a decent turnout.

I go for the Doggies by 4.

I hope so bsj, but surely we have got to be better thanks Sunday we were terrible. Even your lads would have fancied their chances.

Think both starting props were a bit ineffectual on Sunday, Gledhill more so, never really ran onto the ball, and his favoured move being a hop and skip that negates his leg drive. At least Keegan always has great leg power and with his height can always pop a pass over the top. Is there any life in reversing the props and trying to use Wardy and Cropper or Reilly as battering rams before the opposition warm to their task?