Super League tipping competition 2023 - Round 1 - Results posted

Dunbar

I thought it would be a bit of fun to have a tipping competition on here for Super League 2023.  If enough people are interested, I will keep a running leaderboard.

Each week, you get:

One point for each correct winner picked (just 5 games this week, I will add the Saints vs. Giants game in the week it is played)

One point for picking the biggest win of the round (you have to get the winner right to get this point though)

One point for the closest game of the round (lowest winning margin)

So:

1. Pick the winners

Warrington vs. Leeds Rhinos

Wakefield Trinity vs. Catalans Dragons

Leigh Leopards vs. Salford Red Devils

Hull Kingston Rovers vs. Wigan Warriors

Hull FC vs. Castleford Tigers

2. Biggest win

3. Closest game

Reply in the thread and entries need to be in before the Warrington vs. Leeds game kicks off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought it would be a bit of fun to have a tipping competition on here for Super League 2023.  If enough people are interested, I will keep a running leaderboard.

Each week, you get:

One point for each correct winner picked (just 5 games this week, I will add the Saints vs. Giants game in the week it is played)

One point for picking the biggest win of the round (you have to get the winner right to get this point though)

So:

1. Pick the winners

2. Biggest win

3. Closest game

Reply in the thread and entries need to be in before the Warrington vs. Leeds game kicks off.

1.  Winners:

Leeds Rhinos

Wakefield Trinity

Salford Red Devils

Hull Kingston Rovers

Castleford Tigers

2.  Biggest win:

Salford Red Devils over Leigh Leopards

3.  Closest game:

Leeds Rhinos over Warrington Wolves

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Each week, you get:

So:

1. Pick the winners

2. Biggest win

3. Closest game

Can we have some clarification of the rules please.  What happens if more than 1 game finishes  with the same 40 point largest winning margin. Similarly what happens if 2 teams win by 1 point.

Also your requesting us to pick the winners.  Can we pick a draw? If we can, how many points for correctly predicting that. 

Are there any tie brakers to determine league positions if people  are level come the end of the season ? 

Great idea in principle but a bit more info needed to ensure the avoidence of any disputes. 

11 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Can we have some clarification of the rules please.  What happens if more than 1 game finishes  with the same 40 point largest winning margin. Similarly what happens if 2 teams win by 1 point.

Also your requesting us to pick the winners.  Can we pick a draw? If we can, how many points for correctly predicting that. 

Are there any tie brakers to determine league positions if people  are level come the end of the season ? 

Great idea in principle but a bit more info needed to ensure the avoidence of any disputes. 

I am clearly making this up as I go along.

But I would say...

If 2 games finish with the highest margin or 2 games finish with the lowest margin then a point for everyone with either of those picks.

If you want to pick a draw, go ahead.  If it is a draw then you get the point.

If we are level at the end of the regular season then we can have a play off competition to determine the overall winner.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Each week, you get:

So:

1. Pick the winners

2. Biggest win

3. Closest game

Winners:

Warrington

Catalans 

Salford

Wigan

Hull

Biggest Win:

Catalans

Closest Game:

Hull KR vs Wigan

Firstly. Thanks for setting up.

Some feedback if i may... just keep it simple, predict the outcome of the match. The NFL comp was simple and nice. 

Wire, Cats, Salford, Wigan, Hull

Biggest - Cats

Closest - Wigan

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

21 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Each week, you get:

So:

1. Pick the winners

2. Biggest win

3. Closest game

Good effort Dunbar.

1. Leeds, Catalan, Leigh, Wigan, Hull FC

2. Hull FC

3. Warrington v Leeds

My picks

1. Pick the winners

Leeds Rhinos

Catalans Dragons

Salford Red Devils

Wigan Warriors

Hull FC

2. Biggest win

Wigan

3. Closest game

Warrington vs. Leeds

18 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Can I add another rule/agreement @Dunbar for the less honest amongst us? Any 'edited' posts after the first kick off of the week are disregarded 🤥

Agreed.

I have all the predictions in a spreadsheet so they will be locked in before the first game kicks off... no cheating on my watch!

• Haha 2

Going to bump this up.

Would be great to get a good number of people in the comp for the year... join in from the start everyone.

On 14/02/2023 at 20:18, Dunbar said:

Each week, you get:

So:

1. Pick the winners

2. Biggest win

3. Closest game

Wins for Warrington, Catalans, Salford, Wigan, Hull FC

Biggest win For Warrington over Leeds.

Closest game. Leigh v Salford

• Dunbar changed the title to Super League tipping competition 2023 - Round 1 - Last call

Last call for entries into the first round of the tipping competition.

You can enter at any time in the year to play round by round but if you want to be on the leader board after Round 1 then get your picks in before the first game today.

On 14/02/2023 at 20:18, Dunbar said:

Each week, you get:

So:

1. Pick the winners

2. Biggest win

3. Closest game

Winners.

Leeds

Catalans 

Leigh.

Wigan

Hull FC

Biggest Win. Wigan

Closest game, Leigh v Salford