Challenge Cup - Ashton Bears - now at Flair Stadium

horbury ram

Our Challenge Cup Second Round tie against Ashton Bears will be played at FLAIR Stadium on Saturday 25th February.

Ashton Bears ARFLC, who are based in Ashton-in-Makerfield, secured their place in the Second Round as they beat British Army Rugby League in the First Round on Saturday afternoon. Although the draw had handed us an away game against the winner of that tie, the game will now be played at FLAIR Stadium with kick-off at 14:00.

Ashton Bears play in the North West Mens League Premier Division and won all 18 league games in 2022, but were runners-up last year as they lost to Orell St James in the Grand Final. This tie will be history making for the Bears as they face semi-professional opposition for the first time.

Further details on tickets will be announced in due course.

• Thanks 2

Without getting carried away with ourselves this should be a comfortable win. But as we all know we've been on the receiving end against the amateurs down the year's. Listening to Liam's interview after our victory on Sunday I don't see many changes for the cup game, plus with having a small squad we are limited to how many changes we do make. 

19 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Never heard of him,is he new does anyone know? 

Elliot Burrow, from Cumbria.

With a full round of Super League and Championship then 19 Challenge Cup matches this weekend, most of the cup matches will be ref'ed by people who usually do the community game.

Apparently he ref'ed a world cup warm up match between Ireland and Canada women last year.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Thanks 2

Credit to Ashton Bears for bringing plenty of fans and to the team for a superb kicking game, low error rate and sticking to the task. 

Rams were poor on attack though, 6th tackles options missed, too many errors, not helped it has to be said by the referee allowing Ashton to be offside most tackles and interfering at the ptb. 

Into the next round,but we will have to be a lot better to progress any further.

The match started in a proper downpour, which continued for about ten minutes. Were the conditions going to be a leveller?

Ashton really did play their part in providing an entertaining encounter and as WR says, brought a great kicking game, as was their tackling. They also showed how they can attack, scoring with their first set with the ball, getting their try within 90 seconds of the start of the match.

Dewsbury on the other hand were error strewn throughout, knocking on at the kick off, plus another couple of times. We had to concede a drop out five times, with one of them going straight out of play, giving Ashton a penalty in front of the sticks which was converted. I think we lost the penalty count, but wasn’t checking. 

It took some 16 minutes for Dewsbury to respond with a try from Roman Dixon, converted by Paul Sykes. We had to wait about twenty minutes more before our second try arrived with Perry Whiteley scoring in the corner, again converted, giving a half time score of Ashton 8 and Dewsbury 14.

Ferguson was the first to score a try in the second half, but it was about 20 minutes into the half, with Sykes converting, following a penalty converted on 46 minutes. Ashton had tackled well and kept us out for all those minutes; great stuff from a team from the North West Counties league. It was at this point that Ashton tired, or perhaps Dewsbury simply got the upper hand with tries from Beckett, whose dart from 20 metres out was unopposed. Turner converted, but missed the next when Davey Dixon went over in the corner. The scoring was wrapped up by Jordan, who looks to be settling in nicely at centre and Turner popped over the extra two.

Final score, Ashton 8-38 Dewsbury.

We might have won, but need to improve greatly if we are to come out top in matches. Today our forwards paved the way, looking to pass, but as usual, nobody was backing up and we still continue to barge up the middle for long periods. I was disappointed by the casual way some players were repeatedly slow in getting back on side after Ashton’s kicks upfield, just sauntering along.  I hope the coach has noted this.

• Like 4
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Getting back on side slowly, by a team that has just been tackling is a new phenomenon within the game. Watch any game on the telly, and they're all doing it. 

It must be an energy saving tactic to not run all the way back downfield, knowing that the play will catch up with you in a few tackles, thus saving your fuel tanks from expending a few bobs worth of juice. 🥵

1 hour ago, Lupset Ram said:

Getting back on side slowly, by a team that has just been tackling is a new phenomenon within the game. Watch any game on the telly, and they're all doing it. 

It must be an energy saving tactic to not run all the way back downfield, knowing that the play will catch up with you in a few tackles, thus saving your fuel tanks from expending a few bobs worth of juice. 🥵

Not a new phenomenon, I was doing it in 80s and 90s 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, coolie said:

Midlands will be interesting next sunday

They are racking up points so know where the try line is

Not to be underrated 🤔

No disrespect but I'd like to think that we will provide stiffer opposition that  Cornwall and Hull Dockers. And if we can't then we have massive problems. 

Edited by graham fisher
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, graham fisher said:

No disrespect but I'd like to think that we will provide stiffer opposition that  Cornwall and Hull Dockers. And if we can't then we have massive problems. 

Famous last words…….

8 hours ago, graham fisher said:

I'm underating nobody in this league, turn up, do the business, you get the points🤔

• Like 1