Wakefield pitch

9 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

95% grass, laid in the winter, no sunshine to aid growth. I believe there is a carpet of sorts under the grass but naturally this isn't at its best yet and has been used a lot for training and other events. Minor issue now, not long term.

For god’s sake stop talking sense, this is good for at least 10 pages of Wakey bashing!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hw88 said:

On artificial/4g pitches why can't they play in those long 'tights' things like they do in American football? That would stop the graze/chafing injuries surely.

I suppose the argument is it’s not a 4G pitch. Don’t Widnes have a 4G pitch with few issues from visiting teams

32 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Looks like Leeds v Salford on Luton Town's old pitch.

Very strange why they thought they needed to mess with the pitch, it always looked great.

Fundamentally we don't have a Ken Davey so have to find ways to earn extra cash, renting the pitch out is one avenue. 

Just an observation from a York perspective (who have similar pitch to the Wakey one) - we had the same issues in 2021 in the first few games at the LNER, with the carpet not quite fully grown, and the players suffering a little on a sandy surface. It'll be absolutely fine in a few weeks .

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

Just an observation from a York perspective (who have similar pitch to the Wakey one) - we had the same issues in 2021 in the first few games at the LNER, with the carpet not quite fully grown, and the players suffering a little on a sandy surface. It'll be absolutely fine in a few weeks .

That's the difference with a stitched and a mat , the stitching goes into an already established grass pitch , whereas a mat needs time for growth , which you won't get this time of the year , unless you've got loads of those lights they use for growing cannabis 

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

unless you've got loads of those lights they use for growing cannabis 

Then a lot of folk will moan about the weeds.

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

That's the difference with a stitched and a mat , the stitching goes into an already established grass pitch , whereas a mat needs time for growth , which you won't get this time of the year , unless you've got loads of those lights they use for growing cannabis 

HPL Grass, grass grow lights for stadiums - YouTube

Clubs are being encouraged to diversify their income streams, maybe if Trinity ask around another club might have some of those! 😆

They look sore no doubt, but the issue won't be there when the growing season starts. I think our home games are back loaded so it should mitigate any more occurrences. 

I haven't seen any other players complaints though yet, so it could be due to the fact that he carried Tom Lineham on his back as he slid for his second try. That's bound to do some damage.

2 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

They look sore no doubt, but the issue won't be there when the growing season starts. I think our home games are back loaded so it should mitigate any more occurrences. 

I haven't seen any other players complaints though yet, so it could be due to the fact that he carried Tom Lineham on his back as he slid for his second try. That's bound to do some damage.

The issue shouldn’t be there now,surely that’s the point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Also , if these lads have any better suggestions for Wakefield to generate enough rev to pay players like Tom their salary,   I´m sure they are all ears. If not, then giving it a few weeks so Wakefield can have a pitch that long term offers significantly more revenue streams and opportunities is it then. 

Or maybe these lads just expect to play on a pitch that doesn’t inflict personal injuries.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The issue shouldn’t be there now,surely that’s the point.

True, but we are where we are, as McNamara points out this will affect our players more than any others. Apparently York had similar issues initially, it difficult to try and find a suitable time to relay a pitch when the off-season is over winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Screenshot-2023-02-20-at-11.26.02.png?w=

It's not reasonable to expect a player to experience that when it's avoidable. Wakey should have either started the project earlier, or rented some grow lamps to ensure the pitch was safe for use when the season starts.

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

17 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Memo to away sides visiting Belle Vue take plenty of padded knee and elbow bandages.I am sure Wakey will pay for them if you ask nicely.A covering letter from your insurance company or solicitor might heip.

79F1DA7F-880B-47AB-B1D1-CC34ED070319.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is just the same as Richie Mathers when he first played at Widnes. That seems to have settled down fine.

I understand the players concerns, it's not fair that they should just have to suck it up, but hopefully will improve.

• Like 1