Wakefield pitch

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It's not reasonable to expect a player to experience that when it's avoidable. Wakey should have either started the project earlier.

Wakefield's final home fixture of 2022 was Thursday 25th August and the pitch removal/relaying began on Saturday 27th August.  We even threw a few tight games just to ensure play off rugby wouldn't delay the project.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

This is just the same as Richie Mathers when he first played at Widnes. That seems to have settled down fine.

I understand the players concerns, it's not fair that they should just have to suck it up, but hopefully will improve.

Quite. I’m trying to remember the team (May have been Salford) who all turned up in full skins for their game after this at Widnes. Nobody does now

18 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The issue shouldn’t be there now,surely that’s the point.

yep, imagine an health and safety building inspector saying...ohh it be alright soon, so get on with it. 

Until the pitch is or was made fit, even if awaiting the grass to grow then no games should be/have been played. 

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I find the dismissive attitude of the players concerns quite puzzling. I thought we were taking player safety more seriously now? 

RL players are not moaners in general and if they are burning the cr ap out of their knees, maybe something is actually wrong with the pitch? Saying "oh it's only for a few more weeks" is pretty shabby thinking.

Maybe it *will* be ok after the grass has grown but it should have been sorted out before now. Pretty poor IMO. 

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'll be honest, I find the dismissive attitude of the players concerns quite puzzling. I thought we were taking player safety more seriously now? 

RL players are not moaners in general and if they are burning the cr ap out of their knees, maybe something is actually wrong with the pitch? Saying "oh it's only for a few more weeks" is pretty shabby thinking.

Maybe it *will* be ok after the grass has grown but it should have been sorted out before now. Pretty poor IMO. 

And how do you propose they grow grass during the winter?

51 minutes ago, dboy said:

If the mat hasn't had time to fill up with real grass then as Elbowseye suggests , heat lamps are used by most top premier teams ( and LSV ) to increase growth 

Then again our ' carpet ' isn't as good as yours , is it ? 😉

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Looking at fixtures, they have giants in two weeks but then not at home till back end of March vs KR. It will be find by then. A long term rev stream for two slightly inconvinient games is not a real problem. 

Unless your one of the players with no skin left on their knees.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If the mat hasn't had time to fill up with real grass then as Elbowseye suggests , heat lamps are used by most top premier teams ( and LSV ) to increase growth 

Then again our ' carpet ' isn't as good as yours , is it ? 😉

Your pitch has been down much much longer and you have heat lamps.

You do realise you've explained exactly why the pitch is far from optimal right now, don't you?

2 minutes ago, dboy said:

Your pitch has been down much much longer and you have heat lamps.

You do realise you've explained exactly why the pitch is far from optimal right now, don't you?

As I pointed out earlier on this thread , our pitch is a stitched pitch , which isn't done until it is well established , yours appears to be a mat type , cheaper and with a shorter lifespan 

I'd suggest if your intended usage hours wise is to be attained ,you'd better buy some lamps 

I'll not comment anymore , I've not criticised what you are doing at any point , just questioned what you've been told about its potential usage 

22 minutes ago, dboy said:

But you knew when you typed your post that Wakefield don't have those lamps, nor can they probably afford them.

It's not an option.

No I didn't, I just answered your question. Wakefield ability to maintain their pitch is something I didn't have an opinion on. 

Anyone know why this wasn't an issue during any of the preseason matches played on it? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

17 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Anyone know why this wasn't an issue during any of the preseason matches played on it? 

Maybe due to the time of year the pitch has deteriorated because of those games , the real grass grown round the mat having worn 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dboy said:

But you knew when you typed your post that Wakefield don't have those lamps, nor can they probably afford them.

It's not an option.

They could probably afford to buy them but I doubt anyone could afford to run them

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts on the new hybrid pitch,

No doubt it will improve as the weather allows the grass to grow through and might become one of the better playing surfaces in SL. That said, it is neglectful for a full time sports club to begin a season with a pitch that they know is harmful to players and will cause injuries such as the burns seen on many players skin.

My biggest beef is that Wakefield Trinity have spent £500k to install that field and in doing so have dug up the best playing surface in the game! The pitch at Belle Vue has long been lauded for its supreme quality by all and sundry who’ve played upon it. That includes generations of top class RL players as well as footballers from the Premier Division or its old equivalent. When Leeds United Reserves played on it they were absolutely astounded at the immaculate quality of the pitch and went on record to say so.

The pitch had the best drainage and never became a bog even in the old days of winter Rugby League, on the other hand, with a little care it never got too hard to play on even when we were subjected to heat waves. 

All that was required was a regulation level of maintenance, nothing special just quality seed, feed and sufficient water when needed. When this was done the pitch was magnificent but in recent years our Chairman and now Chief Exec has refused to spend money on the pitch (& the ground) resulting in the deterioration of its quality. The groundsman, Steve Dutton, has done a manful job with the tools available to him but has been left to beg and borrow from the games other groundsmen who have been generous in sending spare seed, feed and even equipment for Steve to use.

Returning to the new pitch, the idea indeed justification is that the hybrid field can be used by the community to generate an income for the club. Well quite frankly that’s pie in the sky! I have no doubt that there will be some bookings but certainly not enough to justify spending half a million pounds and there won’t be anymore wear and tear than the natural pitch that they’ve removed couldn’t have handled given the right maintenance.

That money could have gone elsewhere in the stadium development!

sorry for the rant and the slight deviation from the main topic but I had to get it off my chest

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

No doubt it will improve as the weather allows the grass to grow through and might become one of the better playing surfaces in SL. That said, it is neglectful for a full time sports club to begin a season with a pitch that they know is harmful to players and will cause injuries such as the burns seen on many players skin.

My biggest beef is that Wakefield Trinity have spent £500k to install that field and in doing so have dug up the best playing surface in the game! The pitch at Belle Vue has long been lauded for its supreme quality by all and sundry who’ve played upon it. That includes generations of top class RL players as well as footballers from the Premier Division or its old equivalent. When Leeds United Reserves played on it they were absolutely astounded at the immaculate quality of the pitch and went on record to say so.

The pitch had the best drainage and never became a bog even in the old days of winter Rugby League, on the other hand, with a little care it never got too hard to play on even when we were subjected to heat waves. 

All that was required was a regulation level of maintenance, nothing special just quality seed, feed and sufficient water when needed. When this was done the pitch was magnificent but in recent years our Chairman and now Chief Exec has refused to spend money on the pitch (& the ground) resulting in the deterioration of its quality. The groundsman, Steve Dutton, has done a manful job with the tools available to him but has been left to beg and borrow from the games other groundsmen who have been generous in sending spare seed, feed and even equipment for Steve to use.

Returning to the new pitch, the idea indeed justification is that the hybrid field can be used by the community to generate an income for the club. Well quite frankly that’s pie in the sky! I have no doubt that there will be some bookings but certainly not enough to justify spending half a million pounds and there won’t be anymore wear and tear than the natural pitch that they’ve removed couldn’t have handled given the right maintenance.

sorry for the rant and the slight deviation from the main topic but I had to get it off my chest

To be fair nut having to rent out other clubs facilities for training will save a few bob alone. Time will tell whether it was worth it.

7 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

My thoughts on your thoughts:

The pitch was indeed a joy, with amazing drainage...but it was knackered, rock hard (with no sprinkler system)...maybe as you suggest through a lack of investment and maintenance...but even if maintained it wouldn't sustain the kind of use the club are trying to achieve to make a viable income stream.

1 hour ago, dboy said:

My thoughts on your thoughts:

The pitch was indeed a joy, with amazing drainage...but it was knackered, rock hard (with no sprinkler system)...maybe as you suggest through a lack of investment and maintenance...but even if maintained it wouldn't sustain the kind of use the club are trying to achieve to make a viable income stream.

As per my post, the pitch was only knackered because the club stopped spending the money required to maintain it. Also  the club are kidding themselves that they’ll get anywhere near the bookings they’d need to justify £500k investment on a hybrid pitch

Edited by OMEGA

14 hours ago, dboy said:

As I'm not a grass installation man, I don't know. But I would have expected that when the decision was made to change their pitch, it was a consideration that the pitch is safe for the players. And as others have pointed out, there are heat lamps for that sort of thing. 

But my overriding point was the dismissal of the players concerns. If that's the way their complaints are looked at by some fans, it's a poor do. They are the games biggest asset.