Wakefield pitch

48 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

As I'm not a grass installation man, I don't know. But I would have expected that when the decision was made to change their pitch, it was a consideration that the pitch is safe for the players. And as others have pointed out, there are heat lamps for that sort of thing. 

But my overriding point was the dismissal of the players concerns. If that's the way their complaints are looked at by some fans, it's a poor do. They are the games biggest asset. 

Some players have sore knees.

They aren't playing games on a minefield outside Kiev.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

As I'm not a grass installation man, I don't know. But I would have expected that when the decision was made to change their pitch, it was a consideration that the pitch is safe for the players. And as others have pointed out, there are heat lamps for that sort of thing. 

But my overriding point was the dismissal of the players concerns. If that's the way their complaints are looked at by some fans, it's a poor do. They are the games biggest asset. 

Look at the response Mathers got when he complained about  Windes pitch. As far as I'm aware no-one had told Tom Johnstone to man up.

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dboy said:

You can't compare Wakefield's pitch with Kiev,people are dieing there it's a poor comparison imo. And the photos of Tom's knees say enough to know the pitch wasn't thought about enough.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Whataboutism I'm afraid bud. 

Not really,  it's just that there is little sympathy in this sport, from within as much as anywhere else. A few games have been played with little issue. No doubt Johnstone's knees look bad, but it's not as if every players has no skin on their elbows/legs. As I said before we have relatively few home games in the first half of the season so this should allow the grass to flourish.

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Not really,  it's just that there is little sympathy in this sport, from within as much as anywhere else. A few games have been played with little issue. No doubt Johnstone's knees look bad, but it's not as if every players has no skin on their elbows/legs. As I said before we have relatively few home games in the first half of the season so this should allow the grass to flourish.

"Little sympathy" is not something to be proud about. It's not like he was complaining about a little graze or something, they looked pretty serious to me. Pitches shouldn't be a lottery for the players whereby whoever gets the early round games is more liable to injury than ones playing later. 

And how can you genuinely tell if there was little issue with the previous games? Maybe the players kept schtum as they were worried about being labelled moaners or big Jessie's?

The fact that McNamara was labelled a whinger before anyone saw the evidence tells me that many fans still regard players as expendable. 

As I say, IMO it's shoddy thinking. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Hopefully it will as its cost a lot of money and then it will be a nice pitch.

56 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

You can't compare Wakefield's pitch with Kiev,people are dieing there it's a poor comparison imo. And the photos of Tom's knees say enough to know the pitch wasn't thought about enough.

And you can't make the leap between the safety of a pitch and sore knees.

We are talking about grazes, not concussions, for example. 

28 minutes ago, dboy said:

To be fair we aren't talking about grazes.. we're talking about burns... they can be quite serious and depending on the size can actually be a major issue. These sorts of burns can be as bad as scalds and burns that you get form exceedingly hot things because its about the moisture your body loses and these are athletes who are losing moisture through playing as well. They also can be prime for massive infections etc

(you may be able to tell I did my Emergency First Aid at work refresher course last week so maybe more sensitive to this now than before)

If, at work (which these people are), we had similar issues (and we have boiling pans of Sugar and Glucose so do have massive burn potential) HSE would be knocking on our door.. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, RP London said:

To be fair we aren't talking about grazes.. we're talking about burns... they can be quite serious and depending on the size can actually be a major issue. These sorts of burns can be as bad as scalds and burns that you get form exceedingly hot things because its about the moisture your body loses and these are athletes who are losing moisture through playing as well. They also can be prime for massive infections etc

(you may be able to tell I did my Emergency First Aid at work refresher course last week so maybe more sensitive to this now than before)

If, at work (which these people are), we had similar issues (and we have boiling pans of Sugar and Glucose so do have massive burn potential) HSE would be knocking on our door.. 

I work in conjunction with some very big worldwide companies in manufacturing. They often send out alerts to the relevant H&S officers if worker X, in country Y has sprained their wrist (other injuries are available) doing operation Z and ask them to look at alternative ways of doing that task or was it just an unfortunate occurrence? 

What they don't do, is laugh at them and tell the person concerned to crack on and stop moaning. That's probably why they are huge companies and not back street operations. 

Maybe there's a connection between professional thinking and other things? 

Edited by The Masked Poster
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Could weather conditions have played a part?  It's been very dry lately, did the pitch need sprinklers on it before the game?  There were no complaints of burns after the Fev friendly, but we'd had plenty of rain before the fixture.

This is probably a very large possibility.. slightly wet will allow you to slide more and so its very probably this is the difference between the 2 games. 

13 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

What they don't do, is laugh at them and tell the person concerned to crack on and stop moaning. That's probably why they are huge companies and not back street operations. 

Maybe there's a connection between professional thinking and other things? 

"Player welfare" is just a T-shirt campaign and The Rugby League Family™ is probably the most dysfunctional, abusive family you could every be a part of. 

It's baffling how people have these sorts of attitudes towards the players. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Could weather conditions have played a part?  It's been very dry lately, did the pitch need sprinklers on it before the game?  There were no complaints of burns after the Fev friendly, but we'd had plenty of rain before the fixture.

Despite the desperate attempts of the usual suspects to deny the club could ever get anything wrong they have cocked up with this one i’m afraid. And it’s all on Carters head this one. He could have used the aforementioned lamps to aid the growth over winter but chose not to. He took the gamble against advice by moving the training back to Belle Vue from Dewsbury and playing 3 pre-season games plus a reserve team game against Cas all before the pitch had bedded in. All to to try and either save or make a few quid. Sadly the remedial work that will be required will likely more than negate that as the problems persist longer than they ever should have.

Its not just Catalans complaining either. I know one Fev player personally and his comment on the pitch was less than complementary put it that way. John Davidson in this weeks chicken wing patreon piece mentions Halifax players complaining about it as well. The Hull lads will have been fine as i don’t think we made a tackle on them all game. Bet our lads are looking forward to playing on that every other week. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Whilst it being wet may help to an extent the sprinklers were on before the game, with the state it’s in it made no real difference. It would probably have to be sodden to have an effect which would screw up what grass there is on it. 

4 hours ago, dboy said:

Them knees looked more then grazed,anyway it will eventually be sorted.

6 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Despite the desperate attempts of the usual suspects to deny the club could ever get anything wrong they have cocked up with this one i’m afraid. And it’s all on Carters head this one. He could have used the aforementioned lamps to aid the growth over winter but chose not to. He took the gamble against advice by moving the training back to Belle Vue from Dewsbury and playing 3 pre-season games plus a reserve team game against Cas all before the pitch had bedded in. All to to try and either save or make a few quid. Sadly the remedial work that will be required will likely more than negate that as the problems persist longer than they ever should have.

Its not just Catalans complaining either. I know one Fev player personally and his comment on the pitch was less than complementary put it that way. John Davidson in this weeks chicken wing patreon piece mentions Halifax players complaining about it as well. The Hull lads will have been fine as i don’t think we made a tackle on them all game. Bet our lads are looking forward to playing on that every other week. 

This is where it can become an issue , it's not like you can just ' patch ' repair as you could with a stitched , pure grass or even a fully artificial pitch , they need from the sound of it to bite the bullet and get some lamps on it pronto , you just cannot afford to abuse these pitches 

9 hours ago, dboy said:

8 hours ago, dboy said:

Wow

• Sad 1