Sat 25th-Sun 26th Feb: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

6 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Don't think they're replaced the players they've lost well at all. Seem a bit of an age-ing squad so wonder if the pace of the game is getting the better of them? Lose next week against Newcastle ( don't think they will ) and they're truly up against it.

They certainly haven't replaced the strike threat they had on their left edge last year with Ritson and Miloudi, but their forwards put up a decent show at York today, not just with effort, but also keeping the ball alive with off-loads.

York's pack looked quicker, but it's fair to say that it's a quicker pack than last year, and playing the ball faster too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

Would have gone for Toulouse by 10 yesterday, so I'm 1 down already

SUNDAY 26 FEBRUARY
Batley Bulldogs v Keighley Cougars                   Batley by 4
Featherstone Rovers v Newcastle Thunder       Fev by 40
London Broncos v Sheffield Eagles                    Eagles by 10
Whitehaven v Swinton Lions                                Haven by 6
York Knights v Barrow Raiders                             York by 20

No respite for Barrow this week. If Haven don't beat Swinton, I think they're pretty much gone even at this early stage. 

I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky Bulls!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Click said:

Had to go on Sheffields twitter to get the result, as it seems like the London social media guy didn't come into the office today.

London 20 - 21 Sheffield 

London will be disappointed to go into the last 10 minutes 6 points up and lose by 1.

The Eagles were more than 20 up last season in this game and lost. This is a good squad - they didn't play brilliantly today but still won, which wasn't happening last year.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

42 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

They certainly haven't replaced the strike threat they had on their left edge last year with Ritson and Miloudi, but their forwards put up a decent show at York today, not just with effort, but also keeping the ball alive with off-loads.

York's pack looked quicker, but it's fair to say that it's a quicker pack than last year, and playing the ball faster too.

How’s Conor Fitz going for you ? 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

The Eagles were more than 20 up last season in this game and lost. This is a good squad - they didn't play brilliantly today but still won, which wasn't happening last year.

On the minus side, looks like < 1K at London today, probably around 750-800 fans which is what they got at Ealing prior to the SL season.

1 minute ago, OdsalBull said:

What a win for the bulls. Pretty funny read this week, so many obsessed with our pitch. Up the TINY pitch Bulls

It wasn't so much the pitch but how many weren't on it at different times in the game lol, good win by the way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thats a huge win for Haven. How tight do you want the league. Big win for Batley too at home. A dozen teams all in the mix here. Big game tomorrow also. 

We are 4 games in and its a very long season. I wouldn't read too much in to what is happening for a lot of teams early doors. Pitches will dry out and some of the smaller squads will start to struggle after a few tough games later in the season once injuries start to bite. Its not a huge surprise that teams favoured for relegation are picking up results at this time of year. For me there is only a couple of things that stand out so far, the first Fev should win the league at a canter which is no big surprise and for them they will have to win 2 big games at the end to get where they want to be. The other is that Sheffield look vastly improved and I reckon they could be the team this year to break in to the top 4. The rest of the playoff hopeful teams are just taking points off each other which we could see again tonight.

7 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

On Bulls pitch does make it tougher to play that is just fact but Bulls were awful at home last year. So winning at home is huge. 

Expecting us to get tonked by fev next week but who cares, already got a bonus win from Toulouse then onto Eagles.

I just watched the video of the game against Toulouse. Such a lovey sight to see so many Bradford players helping the newby referee with his decisions from time to time.  Flanagan Snr especially notable with his friendly chit-chat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/02/2023 at 11:28, Daft old hooker said:

It is on Monday night. Do you think yesterday’s win will mean a few more may make the trip over?

I'd hope so. We've gone to most away games for the past thirty years anyway. Fev's not so intimidating these days for younger away fans since they built the "new" all-seater stand down the touchline.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

5 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I'd hope so. We've gone to most away games for the past thirty years anyway. Fev's not so intimidating these days for younger away fans since they built the "new" all-seater stand down the touchline.

Yeah it’s not too bad, the club generally allocates the stand behind the posts at the railway end and the newer small stand at the side (stable) for away fans if it’s a big game, although obviously people can still sit where they want. Would be nice to see a good following there as it adds to the atmosphere.

On 22/02/2023 at 18:45, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Games purchased have usually been available for 30 days after the event and that still appears to be the case:

After a match has been played, you can find full match replays in the following days via www.rugby-league.com/ourleague under the VOD section. The replay will only be available to all who were given access to the live match, i.e. purchasers of the stream and season ticket holders. The process used to validate your stream will give you automatic access to replays once they’re available. Full match replays will be available for purchasers to watch for 30days after the live game.

I'll certainly be wary about purchasing another OurLeague game if I can't watch it live. I paid for the York v Barrow ganme and thought I'd be able to watch this on Sunday evening, but not only was it not available to view then - it still isn't, as of Wednesday morning. I'm probably more of a Championship anorak than most but I doubt I'll bother watching it now even if it does appear (not holding my breath) as thoughts are already turning to the next round of games.

I don't get what the problem is, I would have thought from a technical POV it wasn't difficult to just leave the stream up with a scroll bar (I'm assuming the game was actually streamed live, as the RFL took my £4.95 and haven't refunded it).

Sadly the advice going forward has to be think very carefully before buying an OurLeague stream if you can't watch it live, as there's no guarantee you'll be able to watch it any time soon afterwards.

• Thanks 1

Interesting that after all the controversies in the Championship this weekend, especially in the Bradford - Toulouse game, there have been no bans at all this week in the entire division.

One or two fines, and Lambert Belmas has been referred for further investigation for "other contrary behaviour" for one incident (it's not clear what, though judged on the timings on the report perhaps something he said to the touch judge as the latter did ask the ref to speak to him after Arundel's try).

What's especially interesting is that two of the cases the panel looked at were Bradford players cited by Toulouse, who clearly aren't happy bunnies. One was Brad England which was deemed worthy of no further action but the other was George Flanagan who was fined £125 for "Reckless and deliberate physical contact with the referee". It's interesting that this citing appears to have come from Toulouse rather than the referee himself, I don't think there is going to be much love lost between the two clubs going forward.

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/docs/MRP Minutes 02 March 2023.pdf

On 02/03/2023 at 17:25, The Phantom Horseman said:

"Reckless and deliberate physical contact with the referee"

For Joe being binned, he ran over, grabbed the ref and suggested that it deserved a binning. TO raised it in their after match report to the league. 

Belmas got a fine as it was a 1st offence, so he has to be on his best behaviour for a while.

The shirt sponsorship will be announced in due course.

15 minutes ago, kiggy said:

For Joe being binned, he ran over, grabbed the ref and suggested that it deserved a binning. TO raised it in their after match report to the league. 

Yes, I saw that., a fairly blatant issue of manhandling the referee. Deliberately touching the match officials used to be seen as crossing a line but he only gets a £125 fine under the new, more lenient guidelines.

30 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Belmas got a fine as it was a 1st offence, so he has to be on his best behaviour for a while.

Belmas received a fine for the trip on Flanagan but I think the incident involving the touch judge after Arundel's try is the one referred for further investigation

On 25/02/2023 at 16:38, JonNgog said:

Pretty depressing, Toulouse have gone considerably backwards since their last Championship season i’m afraid. Can’t see the backers sticking around for another season at this level either.

We parked next to an Aston Martin DBX In the carpark yesterday. I'm hoping that is either the new president's car, or the main shirt sponsor turning up to watch. That is equivalent in value to paying for TO's travel this year.