Players Nicknames. The Good, the Bad and the Weird

Probably only known to Wakey fans but I always liked "Trapper" Newbould.  Couldn't even tell you his true Christian name.  Played for Trin, Yorkshire, England and GB way back in the day.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Folly had a lad called speed bump cause he never actually tackled anyone but slowed them down 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Olly "I Can't Believe It's Not" Butterworth at York.

No one else has ever called him that, I made it up just now. 

• Haha 4

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

13 hours ago, Mark said:

Folly had a lad called speed bump cause he never actually tackled anyone but slowed them down 

I was just about to post that but wasn't going to name the team. Didn't know him but remember the name from when a mate used to coach there.

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Simon Hall said:

Olly "I Can't Believe It's Not" Butterworth at York.

No one else has ever called him that, I made it up just now. 

If we're posting our own efforts, I'll claim Jack "Emile Zola" Hughes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J'Accuse...!

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, ajrover said:

Not quite a nickname, but in our house we always think of the Lion King when we hear Toby King mentioned (Oh I just can't wait Toby King)

We similarly say:

Mr Wilkes, Mr Tickle and Mr Hardaker.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I have heard some Saints fans call Hopoate - Hopalong because of his injuries. 
Barry Ledger was called Barry Lager by a lot of Saints fans. I used to really like Ledger as he could move and i saw him pull off a couple of fantastic try saving tackles. One of the tackles was against Leigh in the CCSF at Wigan in 1987…….i think it was Leigh, i was very very drunk at the time. 

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

Barry Ledger was called Barry Lager by a lot of Saints fans. I used to really like Ledger as he could move and i saw him pull off a couple of fantastic try saving tackles. One of the tackles was against Leigh in the CCSF at Wigan in 1987…….i think it was Leigh, i was very very drunk at the time. 

It was. He caught John Henderson I think 

• Thanks 1

Who can tell me the owners of these nicknames? No Google, keep it fun, there are plenty of easy ones there

“Back door” -

”The King” - 

“Seeya” - 

”G.I.” - 

”Joey” - 

”Chief” - 

“Beaver” - 

”Baa” - 

“The Count” - 

”Fatty” - 

“Sparkles” - 

”Mad Dog” -

Jason Taylor was Mr Natural during his heyday at the Bears. Terry Lamb was Baa Baa and Paul McGregor was always ‘Mary’ throughout his playing days at Illawarra and his coaching at St George. Brandy Alexander at Penrith.

And we shouldnt forget the late great Tommy Ridiculous for those who couldnt pronounce european surnames.

Steve Renouf was the pearl. Gord Tallis was raging bull. Vince Karalius was Wild Bull of the pampas, Roger ‘the dodger’ Millward, 

Rochdale Hornets had Steve ‘ticker’ Turner and Barrow had ‘Smiler’ Allen. Arnold ‘boxer’ walker at workington.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Who can tell me the owners of these nicknames? No Google, keep it fun, there are plenty of easy ones there

“Back door” -

”The King” - 

“Seeya” - 

”G.I.” - 

”Joey” - 

”Chief” - 

“Beaver” - 

”Baa” - 

“The Count” - 

”Fatty” - 

“Sparkles” - 

”Mad Dog” -

Back door benny elias. The king was wally lewis (still is!), Seeya Billy Slater, GI greg inglis, Joey  is Andrew Johns, Chief is paul harrigan, Beaver is Steve Menzies, Baa….probably Baa Baa Lamb, Fatty isPaul Vautin, The count is minichello, sparkles is mark mcgaw and mad dog aka adam mcdougall.

The things you remember vividly when you get old…….and the things you forget

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Jason Taylor was Mr Natural during his heyday at the Bears. Terry Lamb was Baa Baa and Paul McGregor was always ‘Mary’ throughout his playing days at Illawarra and his coaching at St George. Brandy Alexander at Penrith.

And we shouldnt forget the late great Tommy Ridiculous for those who couldnt pronounce european surnames.

Steve Renouf was the pearl. Gord Tallis was raging bull. Vince Karalius was Wild Bull of the pampas, Roger ‘the dodger’ Millward, 

Rochdale Hornets had Steve ‘ticker’ Turner and Barrow had ‘Smiler’ Allen. Arnold ‘boxer’ walker at workington.

Some good ones on this thread, but this is by far the best 

9 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Back door benny elias

This one probably needs some clarification. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 22/02/2023 at 18:07, Mumby Magic said:

Listening to the commentary the other week the Fevs Mckenzie Yei is nicknamed motorway as he has 2 hard shoulders made me laugh. Plus wasn't Menzie Yere nicknamed he Jukebox at Sheffield. 

Speaking if PNG players we'vesigned Keven Appo. Any ideas of a Nickname for him?

No "i" Keven the Kumul.

On 24/02/2023 at 16:59, Josef K said:

So was he.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah