As someone who keeps close tabs on the top NRL teams, I can assure readers of two things about Dom Young's move to the Roosters:

1. Dominic Young was signed to play on the wing, not to play in the centres, and he is a direct replacement for Daniel Tupou, who has been at the club for a decade, and is in the twilight of his illustrious career, but wants a longer contract than the Roosters are willing to offer him.

2.  Trent Robinson is one the the three Supercoaches in the NRL (along with Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy), and Trent does his research and knows already what Dom's weaknesses are. However Trent will give Dom a lot of careful attention, a lot of tender loving care. Trent also knows what most NRL fans know -- that Dom is two inches taller than the very tall guy he is replacing, and is also much faster than him. Thus his signing can only be good for the team.  Trent believes that he can make Dom into a super star.

England RL fans should be rejoicing that Dom is moving from a club which has a mediocre coach (at best) to a club which has a superb coach. Dom is only going to become a much better player than he already is, and he is already very good.

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

As someone who keeps close tabs on the top NRL teams, I can assure readers of two things about Dom Young's move to the Roosters:

1. Dominic Young was signed to play on the wing, not to play in the centres, and he is a direct replacement for Daniel Tupou, who has been at the club for a decade, and is in the twilight of his illustrious career, but wants a longer contract than the Roosters are willing to offer him.

2.  Trent Robinson is one the the three Supercoaches in the NRL (along with Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy), and Trent does his research and knows already what Dom's weaknesses are. However Trent will give Dom a lot of careful attention, a lot of tender loving care. Trent also knows what most NRL fans know -- that Dom is two inches taller than the very tall guy he is replacing, and is also much faster than him. Thus his signing can only be good for the team.  Trent believes that he can make Dom into a super star.

England RL fans should be rejoicing that Dom is moving from a club which has a mediocre coach (at best) to a club which has a superb coach. Dom is only going to become a much better player than he already is, and he is already very good.

It's this really isn't it? You can learn composure under a high ball but you can't learn to be taller and faster. His raw attributes and current trajectory are what he's being signed for not necessarily the player he is right now. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

21 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

It's this really isn't it? You can learn composure under a high ball but you can't learn to be taller and faster. His raw attributes and current trajectory are what he's being signed for not necessarily the player he is right now. 

Even at the end of the roosters contact he won't exactly be old 

Dom Young dropped by the Knights this weekend.  Not in the 22 so not even in the reserves.  Wonder if he will be in NSW Cup to .aye regain a bit of confidence. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Dom Young dropped by the Knights this weekend.  Not in the 22 so not even in the reserves.  Wonder if he will be in NSW Cup to .aye regain a bit of confidence. 

Newcastle have yet to name the second winger for their NSW cup game…so the spot is there for him to play…should they feel so inclined.

5 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Newcastle have yet to name the second winger for their NSW cup game…so the spot is there for him to play…should they feel so inclined.

Yes, I saw that.  I assume he will.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think this is more examples of O'Brien being a poor head coach. He's dropping a winger (who is signed elsewhere for next season) as a message to the rest of the squad. Perform or you're out. 

Also, a tangent, but whoever manages that squad needs shooting. What a poor set of forwards.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Well I think that like far too many Brits who went to the NRL Dom is going to need a nice SL home to restore his confidence and self belief .... any takers?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Well I think that like far too many Brits who went to the NRL Dom is going to need a nice SL home to restore his confidence and self belief .... any takers?

Surely SRD have a spare bit of cash

• Haha 1

I’m surprised tbh . Yeh he’s made a few mistakes but he’s still a good player who’s come on a ton and given that team a lot , and still can . The Knights have lots of issues before we get to Dom Young . Really everytime i hear O’Brien I’m not sold on him , he doesnt come across as the sharpest tool in the box . He’s rearranging deckchairs there

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m surprised tbh . Yeh he’s made a few mistakes but he’s still a good player who’s come on a ton and given that team a lot , and still can . The Knights have lots of issues before we get to Dom Young . Really everytime i hear O’Brien I’m not sold on him , he doesnt come across as the sharpest tool in the box . He’s rearranging deckchairs there

O’Brien is the coaching version of Valium. I can’t imagine there is a coach out there more depressing than him. The club is an absolute shambles.

I think Kayln Ponga is very immature and that he was handed the captaincy tells me that his manager has the club by the balls. Ponga isn’t a captain’s bootlace, let alone a leader good enough to bring the Knights out of the doldrums.

Young will be a much better player for leaving the Knights, as would almost all of them. He has lots of talent and I expect he will prove himself a star upon his arrival at the Roosters.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

O’Brien is the coaching version of Valium. I can’t imagine there is a coach out there more depressing than him. The club is an absolute shambles.

I think Kayln Ponga is very immature and that he was handed the captaincy tells me that his manager has the club by the balls. Ponga isn’t a captain’s bootlace, let alone a leader good enough to bring the Knights out of the doldrums.

Young will be a much better player for leaving the Knights, as would almost all of them. He has lots of talent and I expect he will prove himself a star upon his arrival at the Roosters.

Interesting comments about Ponga and I think you are 100% correct.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Interesting comments about Ponga and I think you are 100% correct.

Awful thing to say, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Newcastle if Ponga was retired due to concussions and they took his salary back into the cap. 

Spending that wisely is another question. 

Fingers crossed he does stay fit, but then... what's his best position? Playing at 6 is the clear winner, but then he has to defend. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Spot on.

The club is in a bad spot and going backwards. 

Young is a bit dicey under the high ball occasionally and sometimes gets lost in defence - no surprise for someone new to playing on the wing and playing in a poorly coached, poor performing team. His raw ability is obvious, as his trajectory of improvement over the last 2 years. This is a blip and nothing to worry about. He will fly at the Roosters, whether he plays centre or wing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don`t agree, they were in with a real chance last week and apart from Hastings going off and a couple blunders from Tyson Gamble at the death they could have won that game. The team is still playing with plenty of heart. 

Couple of things, Miller is still finding his way at fullback, but we saw last week how good he might become. As a runner with the ball, as a link player and as a general threat, his energy levels are off the chart. Last year I thought the Dolphins should have gone after him. He keeps playing like that and they get Ponga back, with Hastings at half-back will make a real difference.

BTW. When are teams going to start to protect their halves, especially vulnerable blokes like Ponga. Certainly not having them make tackles from the kick-off.

Bradmen Best seemed to be having a go at the weekend and it`s about time and Gagai is still a top draw player. I thought everyone was a bit tough on Young, he dropped a couple of balls but was still running very hard with the ball, he`ll be alright once he gets back in. He will not want to have a reputation of being a slacker waiting for next year. In the meantime they have Greg Marzhew, watch him go this weekend, he`s good. That Croker bloke is back from injury now and he`s a top shelf young forward, no coincidence that Bennett went after him hard for the Dolphins.

Better times ahead for the Knights.

Edited by The Rocket

On 21/03/2023 at 12:01, Anita Bath said:

dropped and replaced - every half back in the league is going to be putting kicks his way from now on- cant blame an under pressure coach for going safety first to try and get results - maybe if shaun wane had picked differently we would have been in the wc final last nov 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Last weekend, Young made errors, but was also left covering a ridiculous width of field in defence more than once.

There's a certain toughening-up advantage to learning your trade in adverse circumstances, but there's a far better argument for taking a raw talent and seeing what an elite coaching team can make of it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

many fans sceptical of the coaches decision to drop DY  - his replacement Marzhew scored a double and put in a solid performance for a much needed win for the knights - thats why they are the coach and we are not - gonna be hard to force his way back in now - 1st clumsy blunder and he will be back out 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Greg Marzhew is a quality player, a tackle breaking machine.  He is a good pickup for the Knights.

I suspect if Young gets back in the team (barring injury) it will be to replace Hymel Hunt.

Young's in a tricky spot now. Marzhew did well so not easy to get back in. Spending much of the season in the NSW Cup won't help prep him for a big first season at the Roosters. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?