1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

There’s reports that Newcastle are not happy & are trying to make Young’s move to the Roosters happen this season,a swap deal involving either of the Butcher twins has already been rejected by the Roosters but talks are apparently ongoing.

I have read reports it is the other way around, it is the Roosters pushing for an immediate change and the Knights pushing back.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I have read reports it is the other way around, it is the Roosters pushing for an immediate change and the Knights pushing back.

Me too,either way there seems a good chance he won’t be at the Knights much longer.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

It is what it is. Known Dom from Kettlethorpe High School, Durker Devils football and Dewsbury Moor junior rugby days eventually onto Huddersfield Giants etc. Nice lad, lazy and soft as you know what. Lovely lad but there is no way I would ever take him into the trenches with me! Others reading this will know exactly what I mean. Always injured at certain away venues etc! BUT to be fair he took a chance and it looks like it has paid off. For me overs have definitely been paid out but he is not going to turn it down.

So, when was it that you first found out your girlfriend had been cheating on you with Dom? 

• Haha 5

What a remarkable thread. The Roosters will be gutted when they find out their famed scouting network was useless and they should have signed Superstud or Graveyard Johnny off TotalRL.com.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Not after Saints humbled their back to back 'worlds best' in their own back yard.

I also think Wigan and Catalan were as good as Saints in the years they met in the finals. Saints also got beat by wigan in the CC last year.

The SL is not as weak as the Australians have you believe. 

I don't really listen to 'the Australians'.  I don't watch any of their shows on WatchNRL and I tend to either fast forward through the half time and full time parts (if I have it on record) or do other things while it is on.  Same with the Super League coverage over here, I am not that bothered about the studio stuff, it is the games I am interested in.

So, I can make up my own mind.

As I say, I have been a RL fanatic since '85 and watched as much UK and Australian League as I can get hold of... from being a season ticket holder at Central Park every year and Micron videos of Aussie stuff to today watching every game of every round of the NRL and every game I can get in Super League/Championship/Challenge Cup etc etc.

And there are some pretty obvious points for me:

1. I really enjoy both the NRL and UK League (all forms of UK League and I am off to the Wests vs. Chargers Challenge Cup game on Saturday).

2. I love watching the NRL, it is fantastic entertainment.  In particular when there are UK guys doing well over there.

3. While I am watching one game, I am not thinking about what 'standard' it is, I am just enjoying it.

4. But if comparisons are made, then it is as plain as day that the NRL is a higher standard.  That doesn't necessarily mean it is more entertaining - that is a matter of taste - but overall it is higher.  That is not the Aussies telling me, that is me using my own eyes and able to make up my own mind.

and finally...

What a fantastic win for St Helens, they did Super League and UK Rugby league proud.

• Like 10

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

52 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

A lot of money for a winger though. I get that they're really important, but not enough to spend that much, even with the Roosters salary cap tropes.

I'll bet anyone a pie that he'll play centre this year at some point. 

Its in the kind of range that a winger will be with the new salary cap. In 2022 the average for a top 5 winger was $451k and the salary cap has risen 22% on that from this new season.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its in the kind of range that a winger will be with the new salary cap. In 2022 the average for a top 5 winger was $451k and the salary cap has risen 22% on that from this new season.

I'll amend my wager as i've just read that he doesnt move to Roosters until next year, though i think they're trying to engineer something that has him moving before this season.

When he's at the Roosters, he'll play more than a few games at centre. Suallllilliii, wlll play there this year. I'm willing to bet a pie or a custard slice with man or beast.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

From my viewpoint, Australian Rugby League is the most efficient in the world. Not so much flair as in Europe. The flair is generally down to South Sea Islanders and ethnic Australians.

It's Kearball with higher pace and fitness. That's why they need someone like Dom. There again, so do we. Trouble is, no-one in Superleague can afford Louis Rees-Zammit, Marcus Smith and Finn Russell. We couldn't even afford Regan Grace.

Now's the time to snap up the most promising RU kids from the Wales, Wasps and Worcester academies

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

16 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

From my viewpoint, Australian Rugby League is the most efficient in the world. Not so much flair as in Europe. The flair is generally down to South Sea Islanders and ethnic Australians.

It's Kearball with higher pace and fitness. That's why they need someone like Dom. There again, so do we. Trouble is, no-one in Superleague can afford Louis Rees-Zammit, Marcus Smith and Finn Russell. We couldn't even afford Regan Grace.

Now's the time to snap up the most promising RU kids from the Wales, Wasps and Worcester academies

I think you're overestimating Finn Russell and Marcus Smith there. LRZ would make a top class rugby league outside back though.

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Of course it is.  I have been watching Rugby League since 1985 and there hasn't been a moment since then that the UK game has been a higher standard than Australia. 

And I have enjoyed each and every year of Rugby League here, it just isn't as high a standard.  That's not a bad thing, it's just a clear and obvious observation. 

For a moment there I thought you said 1895 !

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

There’s reports that Newcastle are not happy & are trying to make Young’s move to the Roosters happen this season,a swap deal involving either of the Butcher twins has already been rejected by the Roosters but talks are apparently ongoing.

Think your talking about his Brother who's at Newcastle Davy....🤣

8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

What a remarkable thread. The Roosters will be gutted when they find out their famed scouting network was useless and they should have signed Superstud or Graveyard Johnny off TotalRL.com.

to be fair any forum member could have scored most of the tries he scored in the wc- and a lot of them would have caught that high ball he was destined to drop with his clumsy style too - am looking forward to what he can do next and hope he can expand his game to more than just catching a pass in the clear and touching down - will Brett Morris be coaching him at the roosters? if he can become half as good as him then he will develop in to world class winger but hes a long long way off that at the min - but I hope he can achieve great things and good luck to the lad - remembering what happened with ryan hall and joe burgess at the chooks they may not afford him any time or patience!

• Haha 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't really listen to 'the Australians'.  I don't watch any of their shows on WatchNRL and I tend to either fast forward through the half time and full time parts (if I have it on record) or do other things while it is on.  Same with the Super League coverage over here, I am not that bothered about the studio stuff, it is the games I am interested in.

So, I can make up my own mind.

As I say, I have been a RL fanatic since '85 and watched as much UK and Australian League as I can get hold of... from being a season ticket holder at Central Park every year and Micron videos of Aussie stuff to today watching every game of every round of the NRL and every game I can get in Super League/Championship/Challenge Cup etc etc.

And there are some pretty obvious points for me:

1. I really enjoy both the NRL and UK League (all forms of UK League and I am off to the Wests vs. Chargers Challenge Cup game on Saturday).

2. I love watching the NRL, it is fantastic entertainment.  In particular when there are UK guys doing well over there.

3. While I am watching one game, I am not thinking about what 'standard' it is, I am just enjoying it.

4. But if comparisons are made, then it is as plain as day that the NRL is a higher standard.  That doesn't necessarily mean it is more entertaining - that is a matter of taste - but overall it is higher.  That is not the Aussies telling me, that is me using my own eyes and able to make up my own mind.

and finally...

What a fantastic win for St Helens, they did Super League and UK Rugby league proud.

So basically you are basing it off your opinion on what you see which is totally your perogative but doesn't prove its a higher standard. 

There are less errors due to impetus on stats and completed sets etc... but I am bored watching most games due to the lack of action. If the panthers had chanced their arm more like they did with 2 mins to go the game would have been a lot closer and when I say that I don't mean on the scoreboard as Saints ultimately schooled them on every level and area of the game.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

So basically you are basing it off your opinion on what you see which is totally your perogative but doesn't prove its a higher standard. 

There are less errors due to impetus on stats and completed sets etc... but I am bored watching most games due to the lack of action. If the panthers had chanced their arm more like they did with 2 mins to go the game would have been a lot closer and when I say that I don't mean on the scoreboard as Saints ultimately schooled them on every level and area of the game.

So in your mind, what proves that SL is an overall higher standard from top to bottom than the NRL (without using what you see as that is just an ‘opinion’ as you put it)? 

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Yes, it is my opinion.  My post was a direct reply to you saying that I was being told by the Aussies that the Super League is weaker and I am simply affirming that I am making my own mind up on it.

As for you being bored. Yes, that is why I said "that doesn't necessarily mean it is more entertaining - that is a matter of taste".

I personally feel that the NRL is both the highest quality Rugby League and fantastically entertaining.  If you don't agree then I am absolutely OK with that (although I think you would be in a very small minority on the first point).

• Like 1

Interesting to see how Young goes at the Roosters. He might be doing the opposite of Ryan Hall, and joining them at the right time. Hall joined a club that simply didn't need another winger, and he left it too late to relearn the basics. Not to mention being a defensive worry and not being able to jump for a ball to save his life.

On the debate of NRL vs SL, its fairly obvious that the standards in the NRL are significantly higher. Sts winning a pre-season game they were desperate for doesn't make the gap disappear. Have a watch of some NRL games and think how even the worst sides would go against the worst of SL, or how Sts would go if they were to play a couple of top NRL sides on the bounce. It really wouldn't go well for SL, just as it didn't in 1997. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

As the thread is titled Dom Young & not Dom Young’s useless brother I think not.

We get it, you don’t like Dom Youngs dad. I understand that because he is a bit of a @@“/)(£ but do t take it out on his lads

Edited by OMEGA
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Saints ultimately schooled them on every level and area of the game.

HMmm. I must have missed that game. When was that?

Disclosure: I agree entirely with Dunbar's post. Spot on.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2023 at 01:26, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I think he's just a straight replacement for Tupou. I'm not sure I'd trust Dom passing the ball or defending in the centre. He can become one of the best wingers in the world at the Roosters though.

Have a look at some of Young's highlights in the centre at junior level and NSW Cup before he broke into the first team at the Knights.

Of course his defence will have to be worked on but his ball skills for a big man are very good.

I suspect he has been labelled a wing now as it is a key role with the carries from the back but I remain convinced that he would be a better centre than winger in the long term.

4 hours ago, OMEGA said:

We get it, you don’t like Dom Youngs dad. I understand that because he is a bit of a @@“/)(£ but do t take it out on his lads

I have absolutely no idea how you came to that ridiculous conclusion.

• Haha 1