15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He was very good in the World Cup if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me … and he’s very good now . And seeing he’s still pretty early in his career he’s only going to get better

Indeed, he was very good in the World Cup. There was confirmation bias at work with the very few that were knocking him on here looking to latch onto any little error.

Edited by Damien

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He was very good in the World Cup if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me … and he’s very good now . And seeing he’s still pretty early in his career he’s only going to get better

He was the 2nd leading try scorer in the World Cup (behind Josh Ado-Carr) and if there was a World Cup dream team he would of been a decent shout for one of the wing spots.

Some of the criticism is just strange!

• Like 2

simply stating that if he was at the stage he is now (its obvious hours of practice under the high ball have been put in) then we would have made the final - the nrl coaches spend their careers ironing out  the small defects in a young player- and are good at it - crickey am giving the lad loads of credit for turning it round since been dropped earlier in the season- what do u guys want me to say?

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

simply stating that if he was at the stage he is now (its obvious hours of practice under the high ball have been put in) then we would have made the final - the nrl coaches spend their careers ironing out  the small defects in a young player- and are good at it - crickey am giving the lad loads of credit for turning it round since been dropped earlier in the season- what do u guys want me to say?

For a start, not lumping our World Cup exit on his shoulders when the whole team were poor in that match.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

For a start, not lumping our World Cup exit on his shoulders when the whole team were poor in that match.

with watkins and young been the stand out weakness - and to be honest I dont blame those 2 -  I blame sean wane 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I thought Welsby was the stand out underperformer in the loss to Samoa

I agree, but for the purposes of this discussions it is hardly relevant.

A certain forum member (well, a couple) made a really bad assessment of Young, and showed that they don't have any ability to spot Rugby League talent, and is clutching at straws to try and reclaim any relevance in the discussion by lumping a World Cup semi final loss onto him.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Dom Young and Herbie Farnworth are two of the biggest stars and finest talents in the NRL and world rugby league and they’re in our backline , which is the exciting bigger picture 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Dom Young and Herbie Farnworth are two of the biggest stars and finest talents in the NRL and world rugby league and they’re in our backline , which is the exciting bigger picture 

I agree. But I would also add in Jack Welsby who is on a similar level in my book.

• Like 2

Added to that, I think George Williams is in the top level of halfbacks and Tommy Makinson, while getting older, also remains in the top rung of wingers. If guys like Will Pryce and Harry Newman can really kick on and fulfil their potential, England will field a pretty hot backline for the next little while - just hoping they get a chance to play Australia with it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Added to that, I think George Williams is in the top level of halfbacks and Tommy Makinson, while getting older, also remains in the top rung of wingers. If guys like Will Pryce and Harry Newman can really kick on and fulfil their potential, England will field a pretty hot backline for the next little while - just hoping they get a chance to play Australia with it!

Then all we have to do is actually turn up and play in a big game and not choke 

• Like 1

Biggest blunder for me was Mcillorum instead of Ackers. 

• Like 3

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 hours ago, jacksy said:

To be fair the Samoan tactics would have been the same,sending their big boppers at the smallest forward to totally empty his tank,I’d have had Ackers on the bench.

2 hours ago, jacksy said:

Then when we had managed to gain some momentum he brought McLlorum of the bench and we fell to pieces again. He shouldnt have even been in the squad let alone a starter.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, jacksy said:

I certainly think with McIlorum that Wane was blinded by the player McIlrorum was 5 years previously, when he coached him, rather than the player he was in 2022. He is now far off that player and it showed in the World Cup.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

How close is Hodgson to making an appearance for Newcastle this season?

I would say some way off.

Lachlan Miller has been the Knights #1 for most of this year.  Kalyn Ponga came back into the side this last week and played well.  So I would say that if Ponga is moved to the halves (or injured) then Miller is next in line and so Hodgson probably has to be patient.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would say some way off.

Lachlan Miller has been the Knights #1 for most of this year.  Kalyn Ponga came back into the side this last week and played well.  So I would say that if Ponga is moved to the halves (or injured) then Miller is next in line and so Hodgson probably has to be patient.

Is he playing well for the reserves?

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Is he playing well for the reserves?

Afraid I can't answer that. Maybe one of our Aussie based posters has more insight.

I know he had a good run in the NSW Cup team but he missed last week and has not been named this week so there may be an issue.

12 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Is that the rumour?

It is now 🙂

I heard it as wild speculation a few weeks back now the raiders haveva large hole there next year. He's so good the nrl clubs must be sniffing around. In less troubled times I suspect there would be wild speculation he'd be going to union! Thank god that door's closed.