Featherstone - Boom or Bust by the looks of it

28 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Of course it will harm attendances. You wouldn't go to the races if there was only one horse competing. Couple that with the play off format rendering these games fairly meaningless, then a dip in attendances is understandable. If they got 2.5k in, that doesn't seem too bad, not sure what the Fev owner is hoping for?

Sustained and consistent success is one of the best ways to grow crowds. People love to follow a successful brand/club. Winning too easily doesn't harm crowds.  The idea's laughable.

1 minute ago, Tre Cool said:

Winning too easily doesn't harm crowds.  The idea's laughable.

I don't think the idea is laughable at all. If Fev had won by 70 or 80 yesterday everyone would have shrugged their shoulders, those kind of games, where the atmosphere is going to be flat, are always hard to sell and in a cost of living crisis I don't think it's surprising that there wasn't a massive crowd for what was widely predicted to be a one-sided affair.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't know if that is the forum to do that though. An article in League Express or a local paper maybe? A statement via the club's social accounts?

I always think as a chairman you need to maintain some distance from fans on social media, it almost always bite you on the backside. It's good in small doses I suppose and it will help to get a feeling for the current mood in the fanbase. But when you are posting messages/replies essentially blaming some fans you need to realise that is neither the best message nor the forum to use it in.

I don't disagree with that, I think in years gone by this kind of message would have gone in the club programme but like many clubs we don't have that vehicle any more.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't disagree with that, I think in years gone by this kind of message would have gone in the club programme but like many clubs we don't have that vehicle any more.

That is a shame. Is there no proposals for a digital alternative?

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I think a lot of clubs have decided that they're more likely to make a loss than a profit out of selling programmes and that has become the bottom line.

Additionally, with IMG and the current funding regulations placing a high emphasis on social media engagement, I think that's where clubs are looking to invest their time.

You can only allocate the surrounding population to the number of amateur and pro" clubs, which are numerous and are located within a ten mile radius. Even though the extending of the housing market within this radius has increased, it does not indicate that the influx of residents support or are the least bit interested in the game. Let us be honest, most clubs are finding it hard at the moment.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Sustained and consistent success is one of the best ways to grow crowds. People love to follow a successful brand/club. Winning too easily doesn't harm crowds.  The idea's laughable.

Success requires a contest. There will have been people put off by the fact that the result was a foregone conclusion. Maybe not hundreds, but it will be a factor in some people’s thinking that affects the walk ups.  The fact that the season’s success ultimately rests on winning 2 or 3 games at the end of the season will also be a factor.

And the fact that a lot of people are having to cut their cloth accordingly given the cost of living at the moment. 

• Like 4

Funny thing the tweet forgot to mention MC went on to discuss possible reasons with fans and accepted that prices and the cost of living crisis may be a contributing factor. with some fans struggling with the increased prices of energy. We will look at this and try and get it in place for the Bradford game we appreciate all the feed back,

Bye the way Rovers recorded an attendance of 2,489 compared to 2427 last year which was only surpassed by Bradford’s 2,798 in the Championship this weekend

7 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Well English sorry, i can't speak for the rest of the UK.

It's the same here mate, same here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

i can just imagine a 12 year old me running on the pitch at the end of the game  to get my iPad  signed

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

To play the plum game of the round at 7-45 KO is hardly designed to maximise attendance.  If I attend a home game I have a 170 mile round trip.  And of course three home games on the trot doesn't help matters.  And the weather has hardly been accommodating.   It's been particularly cold.   

But it's SUMMER Rugby 🏉 😕 

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's interesting that "The Daddy" has liked this post.

Over on the Toulouse form, a poster called "The Daddy" has started a thread entitled "Toulouse needs its own ground, Ernest Wallon is too big", presumably a response to what have been some fairly moderate attendances at their current home. What are the odds, eh?

http://www.rugbyforumxiii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=74507&sid=e5759691c71b0211ee49e505357a9576

Equally, with London's crowds once again measured in hundreds rather than thousands 43 years after they made their entrance to pro RL, maybe we need to stop being so snide about "pit villages"?

Whataboutery that doesn’t address the point.

• Thanks 1

There’s two main issues with Featherstone Rovers: the tiny village/town can’t sustain large crowds and the ground is substandard in the 21st century. Pretty big obstacles to an A grade in the IMG era. 

If ever there was a club that would be best off being a semi-pro club outside Super League, it’s Fev.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rugby league fans:

"We are getting beat every week /  we are playing playing boring rugby" , im not paying to watch that garbage

Same rugby league fans.

"We are winning easy  scoring some great tries"  im not paying to watch 1 sided games every week. 

Funny old bunch really. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There’s two main issues with Featherstone Rovers: the tiny village/town can’t sustain large crowds and the ground is substandard in the 21st century. Pretty big obstacles to an A grade in the IMG era. 

If ever there was a club that would be best off being a semi-pro club outside Super League, it’s Fev.

Sub standard? Have you ever been ? Have you seen some other grounds including some SL ? You haven't got a good word to say about Featherstone Rovers.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Sub standard? Have you ever been ? Have you seen some other grounds including some SL ? You haven't got a good word to say about Featherstone Rovers.

I’ve been, yes. Cup game vs Oldham a few years back. I’ve been to most Super League grounds and they are all better suited to top division rugby than Post Office Road, even Belle Vue.

I have to say there’s a bit of delusion about Fev. And the chairman seems the most deluded of all.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Meant to add: I hope Fev achieve their dream of Super League but I suspect they will quickly find it won’t be a land of milk & honey.

We know how hard it would be in SL its not us who are deluded but what's the point of the Championship if teams don't try and get into SL ? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Whataboutery that doesn’t address the point.

Wrong. That's the whole point - if there were 12 teams bringing in 15,000 crowds every week, creating huge revenues of their own making and not reliant on Sky money, it would be an entirely valid point.

But there aren't so it isn't. You can't rule out Fev on account of their crowds if you aren't going to rule out London, Toulouse, Newcastle or whoever for the same reason. Otherwise it's just blind prejudice isn't it?

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve been, yes. Cup game vs Oldham a few years back. I’ve been to most Super League grounds and they are all better suited to top division rugby than Post Office Road, even Belle Vue.

Sorry but I think that single statement tells me that you can't be taken seriously. Until they started doing their re-building project recently, even Wakefield fans would not have disputed this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

We know how hard it would be in SL it’s not us who are deluded but what's the point of the Championship if teams don't try and get into SL ? 

Well, this is the crux of it. We’re gradually moving towards a closed shop Super League and other clubs may be above you in the pecking order.

The real question will become: what‘s the point of a club like Featherstone Rovers if it’s excluded from Super League? There’s two options: fold or be a damn good semi-pro club that develops players and wins trophies. I think the second option is realistically where Fev’s future lies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Well, this is the crux of it. We’re gradually moving towards a closed shop Super League and other clubs may be above you in the pecking order.

The real question will become: what‘s the point of a club like Featherstone Rovers if it’s excluded from Super League? There’s two options: fold or be a damn good semi-pro club that develops players and wins trophies. I think the second option is realistically where Fev’s future lies. 

What trophies will we be able to win ?

• Like 1