Sun 5th Mar: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SUN 5TH MARCH
Dewsbury Rams v Midlands Hurricanes  KO 15:00
Hunslet v North Wales Crusaders  KO 15:00
Oldham v London Skolars  KO 15:00
Rochdale Hornets v Doncaster  KO 13:00

Dewsbury Rams v Midlands          - Dewsbury by 18
Hunslet v North Wales Crusaders - Hunslet by 4
Oldham v London Skolars              - Oldham by 16
Rochdale Hornets v Doncaster     - Rochdale by 2

Edited by Barley Mow

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

SUN 5TH MARCH

Dewsbury 46-24 Midlands Hurricanes

Hunslet 30-24 North Wales Crusaders

Oldham 28-14 London Skolars

Rochdale 28-18 Doncaster

Would expect Hunslet and Oldham to win at home but not sure about Hornets at this early stage of the season.

Not really expecting Hurricanes to come away with anything from our visit to the league favourites. Will be a big test after games against Cornwall and Hull Dockers but hopefully the margin will be respectable if we defend well.

All home wins.

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

None of the expansion teams can or are prepared to put in the money to be competitive. Hopefully next year midlands or Skolars do it . The budget of League 1 teams must be tiny also with CF as good as gone. 

If that is true and I think you're probably right. then I suppose that asks the question should the structure be regionalised at this level.

15 minutes ago, Dovster said:

If that is true and I think you're probably right. then I suppose that asks the question should the structure be regionalised at this level.

The standard of any southern region would be too weak and wouldn't make any significant progress without competition with more established clubs.

Even if regularly defeated, I think the likes of Skolars, Midlands, etc get more out of playing established heartland clubs than they would just playing against each other.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

like poker, if you aren’t prepared to play at those stakes you shouldn’t sit at the table. 

Please remind everyone the amount of central rfl money issued currently to each one of the three divisions.  Obviously, clubs have to pay/play their part and I believe that many directors and many supporters do so in many ways, in difficult circumstances, particularly lower in the chain. 

"In order to be a successful gambler, you have to have a complete disregard for money."

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

The standard of any southern region would be too weak and wouldn't make any significant progress without competition with more established clubs.

Even if regularly defeated, I think the likes of Skolars, Midlands, etc get more out of playing established heartland clubs than they would just playing against each other.

I agree that the standard of a southern league would not be high, however until the RFL decide to invest into grassroots development in these areas nothing will improve. The northern player-pool is too small to accomodate the expansion clubs. 

On 28/02/2023 at 17:06, John Drake said:

SUN 5TH MARCH

Rams

NW

Skolars

Hornets

2 hours ago, Dovster said:

I agree that the standard of a southern league would not be high, however until the RFL decide to invest into grassroots development in these areas nothing will improve. The northern player-pool is too small to accomodate the expansion clubs. 

RFL doesn't have any money

6 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

None of the expansion teams can or are prepared to put in the money to be competitive. Hopefully next year midlands or Skolars do it . The budget of League 1 teams must be tiny also with CF as good as gone. 

Yet last year North Wales played within the top 3 all season, beating heartland teams to boot.

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 3

I'm hoping the rotation of our forwards last week will benefit us. No Foster, Burns, Knowles, McConnell or Ollett-Hobson. Of the ones that came in I'd expect Holdstock and Roberts to keep their place. Fingers crossed Jason Tali is back. We need to be full strength to win this 

I think the RFL/IMG must have faith in the South, with Hemel Stags investing £90k matched by the World Cup facilities fund for doubling the changing rooms, for the inclusion of women's rugby.The benefit of owning your own ground. As the chairman said business first sports club second. Like every Southern club lack of quality Players n visa restrictions. 

9 minutes ago, IM2 said:

It's not an opinion mate it's a fact. check out their accounts 

I'm not suggesting we have enough money but we do spend money in other areas, which if were serious about expansion, could be spent to help spread the game. It is a choice the RFL make.

.....and back to the games.. I hope we can get a win this week after losing to dews, but I think this year will be more a rebuilding year for us than challenging for promotion. Making the playoffs I think will be a "good" season considering the changes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!