Fri 3rd Mar: SL: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/23 at 20:30

6 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Leeds have played a hungover, fatigued saints team and won. Leeds, a team that fell apart because one of their training fields got a bit water logged.

"Leeds have played a hungover, fatigued saints team"

That's incorrect.

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

Rotation is a key element for deciding upon a shoulder charge as a front on tackle involves using your shoulder. Also you are allowed to just stand there and technically block the ball carrier. In this instance I think Kendall got it wrong but the fact that there were 2 players in the tackle makes it harder to get a clear view and decision 

Thanks. Does seem like a really poor decision but that makes it a bit more explicable.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

To be honest while I thought it was a shoulder charge and should have been a penalty I also thought the reaction from Welsby should have resulted in the penalty being reversed. Wrong call but the end result was correct.

The Hurrell one was a red. Late shoulder charge and secondary contact to the head.

• Like 1

I've still not got the faintest idea where the controversy was with the Hurrell red card. Literally ####### Myler in the head without the ball.

• Like 8

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thanks. Does seem like a really poor decision but that makes it a bit more explicable.

I wouldn’t use the word poor. There are a number of mitigating factors and it is a fairly marginal call

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Exactly. Proper fans can see the inconsistency.

Worst post of the year and we are only just into March. FFS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, LeeF said:

I wouldn’t use the word poor. There are a number of mitigating factors and it is a fairly marginal call

Fair. I'm replying to a bunch of posts. "Questionable, probably incorrect, but there are reasons why it was given..." that do you?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

I've still not got the faintest idea where the controversy was with the Hurrell red card. Literally ####### Myler in the head without the ball.

Definitely a red.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

And disgraceful conduct towards two water bottles 

• Haha 1

Just watched the shoulder/Welsby incident again. 

Interestingly, there is one angle (from behind the Saints player) which shows three important things. 

1. The tackler doesn't rotate, which is a factor in illegal shoulder charges (they are face to face) - remember using your shoulder is legal. 

2. The contact is shoulder to shoulder. Not high. 

3. The tackler's left hand actually does wrap round the ball carrier and touches his back. I'm not sure whether that makes this a legal tackle. But I think it was one angle that was shown over and over that didn't show the left arm wrap, and I think that may be important. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

That was a great game. Rohan Smith hit the nail on the head - this was the perfect time to play Saints for Leeds and meant more to Leeds than it ever could to Saints. This could really spark Leeds season and Saints will be just fine and no doubt make another grand final. Either way this was a great result for the league. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Agreed. Late, shoulder to the jaw. He'll rightly be banned for that. 

• Like 2

All 3 saints cards fully justified.

Two late hits on a player not braced after releasing the ball and a direct and forcefully shoulder to the head after the ball is gone.

Absolutely nothing to argue with.

• Like 13

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

By the way, what an excellent game that was.

This has been a fantastic start to the SL season.

• Like 8

I'm a Saints fan and don't disagree with any of the cards dished to Saints fans or make excuses for the fans at the end however the Percival try should have been an 8 point try based on the decisions last night and the Walters challenge was a blatant shoulder charge which should have resulted in a penalty in front of the sticks. Two poor decisions from the officials which ultimately decided the result of the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2