Fri 3rd Mar: SL: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/23 at 20:30

12 minutes ago, hullste said:

No problem with that but they have ruled Walters tackle a shoulder charge so it should have been awarded as a penalty to Saints. Also wasn't the video ref Jack Smith? the guy who awarded two 8 point tries to Warrington the night before. This isn't even inconsistency  across a group of referees which you will get as a result of individual interpretation, it is the same guy inconsistently applying the letter of the law which is what I'm most frustrated with.

Problem with the 8 point tries or the official, and the walters incident, wasn't the penalty reversed because of Welsby. He has released a statement apologising and saying the official ws correct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Following on from the mess of a showing last Friday from this ill-disciplined St Helens side, here are the results from the RFL Disciplinary:

Curtis Sironen - 1 match ban

Sione Mata’utia - 2 match ban

Konrad Hurrell - 2 match ban

Sam Walters - no ban

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/61483/disciplinary-|-match-review-panel

Hurrell very lucky there.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

56 minutes ago, hullste said:

No problem with that but they have ruled Walters tackle a shoulder charge so it should have been awarded as a penalty to Saints. Also wasn't the video ref Jack Smith? the guy who awarded two 8 point tries to Warrington the night before. This isn't even inconsistency  across a group of referees which you will get as a result of individual interpretation, it is the same guy inconsistently applying the letter of the law which is what I'm most frustrated with.

Can the video ref rule on things like that?

I thought it was simply a case of the on field referee didn't see the shoulder charge, thought there was a fair tackle and then penalised the reaction. It was the wrong call, but if he's missed it he's missed it. 

Not entirely sure what value there is in a match review panel re-refereering a game, to cite an incorrect call, if it doesn't feel it's worthy of a ban?

Suspect Sironen and Matautia are banned partly due to their previous as much as the incidents on Friday and Hurrell’s was always going to be somewhere between 2-4. We all saw the Walters incident on the evening and he’s been punished, too. 

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Problem with the 8 point tries or the official, and the walters incident, wasn't the penalty reversed because of Welsby. He has released a statement apologising and saying the official ws correct. 

The penalty wasn’t reversed. You would stick with the first bit of foul play. Welsby was deemed to be the initial offender by running in after a fair tackle was deemed to have occurred. 

Even if the tackle had been deemed as a “foul” one Welsby had zero reasons to run in

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Suspect Sironen and Matautia are banned partly due to their previous as much as the incidents on Friday and Hurrell’s was always going to be somewhere between 2-4. We all saw the Walters incident on the evening and he’s been punished, too. 

It said in the press release that Sironen’s “previous” had resulted in a ban

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

I thought it was simply a case of the on field referee didn't see the shoulder charge, thought there was a fair tackle and then penalised the reaction. It was the wrong call, but if he's missed it he's missed it. 

Not entirely sure what value there is in a match review panel re-refereering a game, to cite an incorrect call, if it doesn't feel it's worthy of a ban?

You are correct. The VR cannot step in, if the referee has already deemed the tackle was ok. Yes the referee got it wrong on the night but based solely on this thread alone it wasn’t as clear cut, especially on a 1 angle, 1 view at full speed, as certain individuals want to believe. 

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

My post was in reference to when he was asked to look at the merits of a penalty try. Percival clearly grounded the ball whilst the defender was trying to pull his head off his shoulders, clear foul play and based on the same referee's interpretation the night before should have been an 8 point try but he totally ignored the foul play.

As for the shoulder charge I agree the video ref shouldn't get involved unless asked but we have seen them getting involved many times before when the game is stopped🤷🏻‍♂️ I think this is one of the reasons players run in when they feel foul play has been committed. The ref explained clearly why he thought the tackle was ok but it was a clear mistake so surely the video ref should tell him so

Had another watch of the game last night and it was a really good advert for the sport. Both sides will get better, as they have a number of players to come back, but I thought it was great entertainment anyway.

It was clear Sts were down on energy. If I was a Sts fan I'd be ropeable at both of Martin's tries, and their discipline was poor all night. 

Having said that, Leeds have plenty of improvement in them too - goal-line defence was poor for two of Sts tries and the Olpherts dropped ball was an utter clanger.  

The Sts players were understandably upset at the end but they looked like bad losers. I'm finding the fans' attitude harder to understand. Why the swivel-eyed rage at the end? Was it just because they came expecting a party and a big win but lost? I've been in games which ended in disappointing defeats for one side or other plenty of times but I don't remember such a ridiculous overreaction happening often, if at all.