Thur 2nd Mar: SL: Warrington Wolves v Salford Red Devils KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/23 at 20:30

I'm on record for defending the games match officials, and up to now I've always taken their side against the critics. Tonight is therefore a first for me: I've stopped watching the match. No point in watching. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sam4731 said:

I'm sorry but an 8 point try is a penalty in the act of scoring. He has conceded a penalty there but he hasn't grounded the ball yet, so it's a penalty, play advantage, try. No need for the 8 pointer.

He's literally falling to the ground with the ball in his hand. How is that not "the act of scoring"?

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Phil said:

There’s a difference between a penalty try where a try would have been scored but for foul play, and an 8   Point try, where the scorer is fouled in the act of scoring 

Right. Well that’s just farsical. If you gonna foul someone make sure you do it before they ground the ball ?

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 minute ago, sam4731 said:

Other thing you've gotta call into question is, if that's not on telly, the ref's not risking giving that is he?

Well thats the inbuilt anomaly of havng some VR games and others not . 

Just now, sam4731 said:

Other thing you've gotta call into question is, if that's not on telly, the ref's not risking giving that is he?

Um. I'd argue the opposite. In a non-televised game, the only real-time scrutiny is from the players and spectators present at the ground. In a TV game, you have far more people watching and opining on it.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I only caught the last 15 minutes or so of that, so I can't comment on the yellow card or anything else that may have happened where Salford were hard done by. However, I didn't have an issue with either 8 point.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

I know it's a bit soft, but the way I look at it is: If that tackle was made in general play would it be a penalty? I say yes. So 8 point try is the right decision.

Fine, we will probably see an 8 point try in every game then if it’s consistently applied.

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

I know it's a bit soft, but the way I look at it is: If that tackle was made in general play would it be a penalty? I say yes. So 8 point try is the right decision.

I agree. The rules been there for ages but referees have always been terrified of giving penalty/8 point trys. Its direct contact with the head regardless of the intent.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DG70 said:

Salford fans can blame the referee all they want, fact is Salford utterly imploded in the 2nd half and couldn't handle the pressure.

Warrington don’t win without the terrible reffing in my opinion. Smith changed the game completely.

• Like 4

Patwigaw

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He's literally falling to the ground with the ball in his hand. How is that not "the act of scoring"?

So if he doesn't ground it, it should be an 8 point try? The foul play has prevented him getting the same result so should be punished in the same way? An 8 point try is for when the player has already scored but the foul play needs to be further punished.

1 minute ago, DG70 said:

Salford fans can blame the referee all they want, fact is Salford utterly imploded in the 2nd half and couldn't handle the pressure.

It was the 2 faces of Rowley ball, 1st half scintillating attacking rugby, 2nd half brain explosions and poor discipline.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

If that tackle was made in general play it wouldn't be a penalty , Duftys head was only 2 feet of the ground , it wasn't a high tackle , if it was a fist ? , Then yes , it was a grab 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DG70 said:

Ultimately thats correct

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Well thats the inbuilt anomaly of havng some VR games and others not . 

Nowt to do with VR , it's all to do with officials ruining a great sport. If those calls were done in NRL those clowns tonight would be sacked

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Fine, we will probably see an 8 point try in every game then if it’s consistently applied.

You can't make contact with the head and get away with it just because a try has been scored. If that means we see a lot more 8 point tries then I'm totally fine with that.

• Like 2

Just now, GUBRATS said:

If that tackle was made in general play it wouldn't be a penalty , Duftys head was only 2 feet of the ground , it wasn't a high tackle , if it was a fist ? , Then yes , it was a grab 

We can argue whether it SHOULD be a penalty, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. But imo, under the current guidelines, it definitely WOULD have been a penalty.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Any direct contact with the head always results in a penalty these days, even if the player if falling at the time..providing its seen by the ref. 

• Like 1

Just now, LeytherRob said:

Any direct contact with the head always results in a penalty these days, even if the player if falling at the time..providing its seen by the ref. 

Then it is impossible to tackle anybody in that position , and yet we see it every week go unpunished