Thur 2nd Mar: SL: Warrington Wolves v Salford Red Devils KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/23 at 20:30

I thought the Brierley sinbinning was a bit soft. The two 8 point tries were clear-cut, though, and anyone saying they saw Thewlis offside must have a very wide telly because there was no angle that showed that at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

I thought the Brierley sinbinning was a bit soft. The two 8 point tries were clear-cut, though, and anyone saying they saw Thewlis offside must have a very wide telly because there was no angle that showed that at all.

Nobody is saying he was onside , but the VR actually stated " all players are onside " , when the screen didn't prove that , if he'd said " it isn't clear " then fine , but he didn't 

• Like 2

Good win for Wire that. It’s no good just turning teams over with no adversity every week because that won’t happen in the big games, so to show they have the guts to stick in a game and come back is pretty big for them. 

They’re clearly going to be much improved. I do wonder if there will end up being an over reliance on George Williams and teams will work them out a little bit but they will be a tough nights work for most teams. 

31 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Maybe I have been wrong all these years but I always thought that an 8 point try was awarded when a foul had been committed AFTER the try had been scored. The logic being that otherwise do what you like after the try and there is no recompense.

Commit a foul before the try and it's either a penalty or advantage and play on. Surely?

Either way I thought that Salford got a very rough deal from the referee tonight.

Offence against Try scorer 9. If a player fouls an opponent who is touching down for a try, a penalty kick at goal shall be taken from in front of the goal posts after the attempt to convert the try. After his kick has been taken the ball shall be deemed dead and play shall be restarted from the halfway line. This law applies to the period during which the ball is touched down for a try and not to any subsequent period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Just now, Davo5 said:

Oh the irony 

Yes yours was certainly one.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Nobody is saying he was onside , 

@Niels, @Fevrover and @JohnM said he was offside.

Edited by Just Browny

12 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

@Niels, @Fevrover and @JohnM said he was offside.

Yes, That is what he said "Nobody is saying he was onside". 

There was an angle shown from behind the goal after the game where he materialised well ahead of where could be expected had he been onside. He wasn't even sprinting, he was stood still when he took the ball. 

I have heard Chris Kendall give offside before and say that "he would have had to be Usain Bolt to get so far ahead". 

The real crime was the error by the video referee identifying the wrong player. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Nobody is saying he was onside , but the VR actually stated " all players are onside " , when the screen didn't prove that , if he'd said " it isn't clear " then fine , but he didn't 

The camera view is about 10% wider than transmission view

47 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

There has clearly been a directive given to referees to be more open on penalty/8 point trys and I'm all for it to be honest. Far to many incidents have gone unpunished over the years because refs were scared to make the call.

Let's see how many they give AGAINST the "big" clubs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

They say that referees decisions even themselves out over a season. I pity the teams playing Salford over the next few weeks then.

I think as Paul Rowley inferred, the referee tonight got excited by the intensity and cheering of the home crowd. 

I think the RL need to assess his performance and that of the video referee. 

• Like 1

My "broadcast partner" failed at one point during the 2nd half. So I jumped on to BBC radio Manchester. Have just watched the video footage of the last 20 mins now.

Both BBC Manchester (multiple times) and the Sky commentary refer to the scores as a "Penalty Try".

It is NOT a penalty try FFS. Is is it ANY WONDER we struggle for credibility when our own so called experts don't know the basic laws of the game??

Amateur hour once again. A penalty try is a completely different ruling. 

This sport really does not help itself. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

My "broadcast partner" failed at one point during the 2nd half. So I jumped on to BBC radio Manchester. Have just watched the video footage of the last 20 mins now.

Both BBC Manchester (multiple times) and the Sky commentary refer to the scores as a "Penalty Try".

It is NOT a penalty try FFS. Is is it ANY WONDER we struggle for credibility when our own so called experts don't know the basic laws of the game??

Amateur hour once again. A penalty try is a completely different ruling. 

This sport really does not help itself. 

To be fair, I don't even like the term '8 point try'. You miss the first conversion (which i think happened last night) and an 8 point try it certainly wasn't !  Its just a penalty given after the ball has been grounded.

In regards to the game, certainly one of 2 halves although I thought the Brierley sin bin to be harsh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

He also stated that the linesman was in line with Thewlis and would have called if he was offside. 

• Like 1

Reading the comments on here you would think Salford were robbed at gunpoint by the officials. In the 1st half they cut Warrington to pieces and deserved the lead. But Warrington turned it round, I thought the sin bin was harsh. But the tries mostly created by Williams were not set up by the officials. Ashton try was a superb finish, the Thewlis try if saints had scored it they would be singing from the heavens (ball being swung across the field and a half who kicked with pinpoint accuracy to his winger to score a brilliant try, Dupree had no reason to slide in and the call was 100% correct. Warrington were fortunate enough to get momentum and drag it back but the clamour to hang Smith and Moore(officials) is just ridiculous. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Reading the comments on here you would think Salford were robbed at gunpoint by the officials.

Salford lost their way, basically - and Wire did an excellent job of turning things round.

There's a debate to be had, now that everyone has had their beauty sleep, about the decisions but they didn't cost Salford the game and are explicable even if you don't agree with them. (Although my personal view is that we're going to be seeing a lot of 8 point tries if that is the interpretation now - that's not necessarily a bad thing but it is the logical conclusion).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Although my personal view is that we're going to be seeing a lot of 8 point tries if that is the interpretation now - that's not necessarily a bad thing but it is the logical conclusion

I don't buy this at all. Generally players don't slide in with two knees on prone players* and if you whack someone in the mouth, even accidentally, it is a penalty. Just because they were given as 8-point tries it doesn't mean anything special is happening.

*There was a period where Tomkins and Slater did this fairly often.

7 hours ago, johnh1 said:

They say that referees decisions even themselves out over a season. I pity the teams playing Salford over the next few weeks then.

Damn and blast!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

He also stated that the linesman was in line with Thewlis and would have called if he was offside. 

In fact iirc he was more explicit than that and said the linesman has called him onside. 

We should remember it was not sent to the VR for a decision on the try, that was just a process thing, the ref and linesman never questioned offside for a second, and no evidence was produced to say they were wrong. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't buy this at all. Generally players don't slide in with two knees on prone players* and if you whack someone in the mouth, even accidentally, it is a penalty. Just because they were given as 8-point tries it doesn't mean anything special is happening.

Aye, maybe you do see less sliding over the try scorer. It did used to be every try (hyperbole, a bit) but never called as anything.

The mouth whack one is so obviously a penalty I'm not even really discussing that one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

(Although my personal view is that we're going to be seeing a lot of 8 point tries if that is the interpretation now - that's not necessarily a bad thing but it is the logical conclusion).

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I was surprised with the 2nd one, basically because things like this are ignored, but the first was clearcut and I'd be very happy if these now get punished, they are nasty cheap shots on prone players. 

The 2nd one is more challenging. I absolutely accept it is accidental and the tackler wasn't even looking, but isn't that the definition of reckless? I find it jarring that we could watch a firm hit to a jaw, acknowledge that to the letter of the law it is illegal, but then say it shouldn't be penalised (which is exactly what the pundits said). 

The natural risk is that defenders get a free hit on a try scorer. The defender isn't allowed to hit the player in the jaw no matter the circumstances. 

• Like 2