Thur 2nd Mar: SL: Warrington Wolves v Salford Red Devils KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/23 at 20:30

It's interesting watching a replay of the binning in the cold light of day. Context is important imo. 

At 57minutes, the commentators are discussing how Salford are tiring, giving penalties and set restarts, as they give another. Amor talks about how Salford can't hang on as they are. Wire make a break. The fullback makes the tackle and holds down. Its a professional foul to allow his defence to get back. Drinkwater calls for 10 (which I don't like), but I think that shows that this wasn't just a random binning. Against a backdrop of increasing I'll-discipline and spoiling, a professional foul seeing yellow seems a natural step imho. 

I can understand Salford fans grumbling, sometimes some refs wouldn't give some things, but I dont think it is possible to argue that the decisions were incorrect. But I refer back to the commentary, they called it at 57 minutes that Salford were done. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

He’s desperate to give them an 8 point try 

I did something at that point I can't recall doing before I turned the game off the TV, I was that disgusted/alarmed/disappointed with the level of the officiating from both the on field and video refs, a very good game was turned on it's head by their interpretations and dare I say ineptitude.

• Haha 1

There is no other team in SL that slow the game and ruck down in defence like Salford, it’s a Rowley tactic.

Some of their play they got away with at Leigh but last night the ref pinged everything. 

Haven't watched the game but I'm assuming that Salford didn't contribute to their own downfall by conceding 30 points in 40 minutes?

Likewise, Warrington obviously didn't do anything to warrant those 30 points

From what I've read the game was a modem day classic but yet on here, it was the match officials who were responsible for the scoreline.

😐

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I did something at that point I can't recall doing before I turned the game off the TV, I was that disgusted/alarmed/disappointed with the level of the officiating from both the on field and video refs, a very good game was turned on it's head by their interpretations and dare I say ineptitude.

So what VR decision was wrong and affected the outcome. I did not see any mention of a world class 6 who moments of brilliance.,or Ashton fantastic finish. 

• Like 1

I must admit people providing a running commentary of their own tantrums in their living rooms is a fun new feature.

I suppose I would feel daft if I had hailed Rowley as a tactical genius at half time.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

In fact iirc he was more explicit than that and said the linesman has called him onside. 

We should remember it was not sent to the VR for a decision on the try, that was just a process thing, the ref and linesman never questioned offside for a second, and no evidence was produced to say they were wrong. 

Conversely Dave, no evidence was produced to say they were correct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I must admit people providing a running commentary of their own tantrums in their living rooms is a fun new feature.

And you have always been non to bothered if Wire are on the wrong side of decisions, well we shall take special note in future.

12 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

So what VR decision was wrong and affected the outcome. I did not see any mention of a world class 6 who moments of brilliance.,or Ashton fantastic finish. 

Yes they were, but the decision to dismiss Brierly was the game changer, it not only robbed Salford of a player who is a integral part of the Salford process in both attack and defence, it gave the ascendancy to Warrington in a 10 min period in which they scored 3 tries and broke the back of the game.

Brierly's sin binning was so innocuous, it was less than your world class stand offs deliberate shoulder charge were he made no attempt to effect a tackle.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes they were, but the decision to dismiss Brierly was the game changer, it not only robbed Salford of a player who is a integral part of the Salford process in both attack and defence, it gave the ascendancy to Warrington in a 10 min period in which they scored 3 tries and broke the back of the game.

Brierly's sin binning was so innocuous, it was less than your world class stand offs deliberate shoulder charge were he made no attempt to effect a tackle.

You really have a problem, there will lots of sin binning this season and non sinbins it's how you cope, Salford didn't. I suspect people who watched that game last night thoroughly enjoyed it apart Salford fans and some bitter ones. 

Edited by ELBOWSEYE
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And you have always been non to bothered if Wire are on the wrong side of decisions, well we shall take special note in future.

Have you swapped allegiances? Might be for the best.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

32 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think there is a rewriting of history here. I'm loathe to give too much weight to the pundits' views but I refer you to my earlier post. 

In the lead up to the binning the discussion was whether Salford were spent. Amor explicitly stated that they wouldn't be able to hold on as they are. Now on the surface, they are strange comments about a team leading by 10 points with 23m to play. But the reason behind those comments were because Wire absolutely had the ascendency. I must admit as a Wire fan I wasn't as confident, but they were all of the opinion that Wires dominance would pay off. 

And tbh, a key reason why Brierley was binned was exactly because of the dominance and Salford were clinging on following a break. 

• Like 2

We had completely blown Salford's pack apart with that opening spell in the second half. Watkins and Dupree, who had been great in the first half, were blowing for tugs. Brierley might have been hard done to but the dam was broken and Salford's only chances of holding on were the missed Sneyd kick and if they managed to pinch a try, e.g. from the drop out they nearly forced.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Shouldn't it be a players responsibility to ensure they don't get sent off the field?

If it was the game changer, then surely it's down to the player to not do anything to get sent off.

I'm assuming the referee didn't just send him off for no reason other than to annoy people?

Surely then your ire should be aimed at the player not the officials?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Niels said:

I think as Paul Rowley inferred, the referee tonight got excited by the intensity and cheering of the home crowd. 

I think the RL need to assess his performance and that of the video referee. 

Overall I thought Jack Smith had a good game. It is too easy to blame the ref. As a neutral I enjoyed Salford’s expansive play in the first half, but when Warrington turned up the speed and intensity after half time Salford changed and started slowing the ruck down and the niggle crept in. 

it was a great game though!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

We had completely blown Salford's pack apart with that opening spell in the second half. Watkins and Dupree, who had been great in the first half, were blowing for tugs. Brierley might have been hard done to but the dam was broken and Salford's only chances of holding on were the missed Sneyd kick and if they managed to pinch a try, e.g. from the drop out they nearly forced.

I agree but Rowleys frustration and I think he has a point, is that Salford blew wire apart in the first half with 10 or so line breaks and didn’t get one six again.

I too thought the ref was pretty lenient soth Wire in the first half.

Warrington got a lot of luck with the bounce of the ball in the first ten of the second half and they took full advantage so fair play to them. The ref didn’t cost SRD the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I agree but Rowleys frustration and I think he has a point, is that Salford blew wire apart in the first half with 10 or so line breaks and didn’t get one six again.

Until Rowley said this I had no idea six-agains were automatic reward for line breaks.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Until Rowley said this I had no idea six-agains were automatic reward for line breaks.

They’re not but as i said I thought the ref was lenient with wire n holding down in the first half, it won’t be very often a team makes that many breaks without a six again being given.

ive no dog in the fight it was just my take on it and during the game i did say i bet Rowley mentions it

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry noticed your response, looking back at my record of responding I have given only one of those and I regret it I look back and feel I should be more mature than to give those and will not ever again. I prefer to comment even if neither party can see common ground. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not to mention the pants wetting whenever Saints or Wigan get a decision going their way.

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Not to mention the pants wetting whenever Saints or Wigan get a decision going their way.

The best teams generally get decisions not because it's loaded that way it is they are usually dominant and the opposition is on the back foot. 

• Like 2