Midland Hurricanes

graham fisher

First home league game on Sunday and our very first game against Midland Hurricanes. Saw their first game against Cornwall and if I’m honest it was very poor,but let’s not underestimate them otherwise we could be at the end of a defeat. A few fans criticised our display last week against Ashton Bears,but I think that was a bit harsh on Ashton’s display. 
Anyway back to this Sunday’s game. Liam and the players will have worked this week in preparation for the game so I’m very confident we’ll get the win In what has been a stop start season so far.

I’m going.

Rams 38

Hurricanes 10

Fts Whiteley

Mom Butterworth 

Att 558

We have to consider that we are playing the team in second place in the league table! Therefore we have to be aware of their attacking threat and trust our defence is to the fore. We have played two so-called weaker teams so far, but against both, we let in some soft tries, something we must try and correct. 
When we are attacking I hope to see some backing-up of the player trying to make ground. 

With all that in mind I do think we shall win. 

Dewsbury 30-12 Midlands Hurricanes 

FTS: Beckett 

MoM: Day

Att: 530

Legs, Dews, Legs.

To be honest Graham I'm hoping we play better on Sunday than we did against Cornwall but then that was over as a contest by half time and it was the season opener. We played Swinton first home game last time and they blew us away. The difference between Championship and Championship 1 was quite stark that day. We'll see how you've adapted to the lower division in a couple of days.

We think we've got a better squad this season and we're talking play-off contention as a serious aim for a change. I'm not expecting us to win this one but you never know what might happen on the day if you underestimate us. Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to a day out in Dewsbury and hope it's a good game to watch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Fun fact: last time I was in Dewsbury was with Coventry Bears playing the Celts. Playing for Celtic that day was Alex Walmsley.

What is the beer / food offering in your stadium? 

Will I need the big coat?

There’ll be a good welcome for all the travelling supporters.Beers not bad,can’t comment on the food outlets.

Edited by graham fisher

2 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

Fun fact: last time I was in Dewsbury was with Coventry Bears playing the Celts. Playing for Celtic that day was Alex Walmsley.

What is the beer / food offering in your stadium? 

Will I need the big coat?

Yes you will need a coat the FLAIR stadium is in a quite exposed windy area so wrap up warm as even I find it a bit chilly right now.

The bar can be accessed by the steps at the road end of the stand it serves a range of pub beers. One of the bottle bars might be open in the cabin at the back of the food van.

The food van is also located at the same end of the stand as the steps to the bar you wont miss it. it serves what you might expect at a rugby match burgers hotdogs and the like.

And in advance welcome to the FLAIR stadium the home of the Dewsbury Rams, I hope you have an enjoyable visit and a safe trip. We all look forward to seeing you and your teams supporters at the match on Sunday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

NEVER FEAR ROGER RAM IS HERE

My prediction to my mates was:

Dewsbury 44 Midland 10 attendance around 600

The score was close, I'm not sure what the attendance was?

I did expect we'd give Midlands a good beating today but even then we did have to turn up and do the job which we did and I'm happy with that.

• Like 2

For those supporters not able to see the match today, here are my thoughts.

For the second week running we knocked on when receiving the kick off, but easily diffused any attack that the Hurricanes hoped would allow them to breeze in for a quick try. It took us just about the four minute mark for our first try with Greensmith scoring and Sykes converting the first of his eight conversions (and a penalty). From that point you could see that we were going to get more points, but it took a fair while before the next try arrived with Whiteley breaking down the right and a couple of passes later in went Turner for the first of his brace, the second of which came shortly afterwards when Ferguson stormed through and the pass went out to the half back to score midway along the line. Then just before half time Restall was able to race through and score to make it 26-0 at the break.

The second period  saw Midlands get off to a flyer with Matty Welham  going in at the corner inside two minutes, but the conversion was missed. Five minutes later normal service was resumed when Carr went in at the corner, followed quickly afterwards by Butterworth scoring a nice try. Next was Ferguson, a big threat to the visitors when he was on the field, going over and then it was Davies’ turn with a good run to bring our scoring to an end. Not far from the end Welham scored his second try, this one converted from a similar position out wide.

Whilst I thought the Hurricanes never gave up and looked good at times when attacking, it their defence which was poor. It turned out to be a bigger score than I thought and here, not wishing to seem disparaging toward the Hurricanes, it was much easier than last week’s encounter against Ashton. Whilst I too am happy with this comfortable win, I still feel we could have scored more with players backing up, once again the lack of which was noticeable on a few occasions. 

Not sure I could nominate one MoM; Reiss Butterworth put in another great stint, as did Elliot Morris and Calum Turner with his speed, two tries and good kicking game, but perhaps I should give it to Sykesey, for his timely passing, robust, very effective, tackling and for kicking his 1000 career goal. Congratulations Paul.

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 2
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Think CF has it summarised well - we put in a competent performance and didn’t really have to get out of third gear to win comfortably- will give an honourable mention to Midlands centre Welham who was their best player and a bit of a handful for our left side. We shouldn’t gripe over a result like this but still a few sloppy bits and pieces - Worky away will give us a better picture as to where we are and where our real challenges lie. Oh and having more than two turnstile only would be an improvement admin wise, not to mention the Bill Pertwee ARP types manning the player’s tunnel barrier forcing you to walk up and down the stairs at half time just to get a cuppa. 

• Like 1

Midlands can play better than that but we usually get given the opportunity by the opposition. You just weren't making mistakes nor leaving gaps for us to exploit. We have only played Cornwall and Hull Dockers before so perhaps missed the benefit of being properly tested before facing you. 

Thanks for the friendly welcome for supporters though you could have opened the Bailey Bar half an hour earlier as there was a bit of a queue to get in!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

Midlands can play better than that but we usually get given the opportunity by the opposition. You just weren't making mistakes nor leaving gaps for us to exploit. We have only played Cornwall and Hull Dockers before so perhaps missed the benefit of being properly tested before facing you. 

Thanks for the friendly welcome for supporters though you could have opened the Bailey Bar half an hour earlier as there was a bit of a queue to get in!

Hope you enjoyed your trip to ours yesterday... I cannot believe that you have to pay a fiver to get in your bar 🤣

I thought Midlands played with plenty of spirit but their forwards were blowing a bit after 10/15 minutes. Liked the look of Ben Stead in the halves. I was surprised with the number of supporters that travelled 👏 we're not stupid we know we've got such as Doncaster, Oldham, Hunslet etc to play yet but we are getting better as a team. Next 2 league game will tell us were we are, Workington and Rochdale away. 

We’ll get some idea of Rochdale’s play on Sunday when we face them in the CC (kick off is at 2pm for this one),  but Workington might be the team to watch and they are at Doncaster, also in the CC, so we might get an insight there when we see the result 

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.