Attendance figure

Looked an OK crowd yesterday, however I notice that no figure is given in today's League Express. Anyone know what it was?

Hope we haven't gone down the disappointing route taken by Batley and some other clubs of no longer giving out attendances. It's a very amateurish look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Looked an OK crowd yesterday, however I notice that no figure is given in today's League Express. Anyone know what it was?

Hope we haven't gone down the disappointing route taken by Batley and some other clubs of no longer giving out attendances. It's a very amateurish look.

Might look amateurish but must help when dealing with HMRC !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NickD said:

Hundreds of other clubs in semi-professional sport manage it. It's a good indicator of the success of a club and the sport, and the RFL should insist that clubs publish accurate figures.

23 hours ago, NickD said:

A very old misconception. The club is a limited company and pays taxes accordingly. The days of the "sports tax" ended many years ago, so the attendance figure is of no concern of HMRC.

Generally, clubs don't announce attendances simply because they are embarrassing. Batley take note.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

A very old misconception. The club is a limited company and pays taxes accordingly. The days of the "sports tax" ended many years ago, so the attendance figure is of no concern of HMRC.

Generally, clubs don't announce attendances simply because they are embarrassing. Batley take note.

Of course BSJ.  All limited companies pay the appropriate taxes.  Just ask the bosses of many of our most famous coffee houses.....

Edited by NickD
  • Haha 1

The crowd on Sunday didn't look too embarrassing - must have been over 500 with a few from the Midlands (who couldn't get into the bar, apparently).
Rochdale got below 400 for their home game against Doncaster which was sad to see as both teams should be front runners in this competition.

Interesting to see Cornwall reporting their crowds, which seem to be hovering around the 1,000 mark while the team is yet to win their first home match. When I've seen their games on TV, there appears to be a lot of curious onlookers, young and old.

I know Dewsbury give away a lot of free tickets to young people but I'm not sure that's the answer. I remember the TV game at home to Widnes last season felt much more like an 'event' than the rest of our home games, with amateur clubs involved. Be good to see us try that a lot more.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2023 at 23:50, NickD said:

Of course BSJ.  All limited companies pay the appropriate taxes.  Just ask the bosses of many of our most famous coffee houses.....

So why did you make reference to HMRC when commenting about attendances? Deflection doesn't correct the misconception.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 06/03/2023 at 14:58, creditwhereitsdews said:

You make a fair point that attendances figures should be more readily available.  For what it's worth Batley's home attendances this season have apparently been 1,551 against Swinton and 1,624 against Keighley.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

So why did you make reference to HMRC when commenting about attendances? Deflection doesn't correct the misconception.

Jesus. 

1 hour ago, Bill H said:

You make a fair point that attendances figures should be more readily available.  For what it's worth Batley's home attendances this season have apparently been 1,551 against Swinton and 1,624 against Keighley.

Those are decent figures. Maybe their pricing strategy is starting to work. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2023 at 16:56, creditwhereitsdews said:

Those are decent figures. Maybe their pricing strategy is starting to work. 

Thought it would.   As I've mentioned several times there are a few members of my family who'd turn up more often if it was a tenner.  Full marks to Batley for trying it and I hope it pays off for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1