State of NZ Rugby League

5 hours ago, EggFace said:

How well doe's the NRL/SOO rate in the Land of The Long Cloud ?

I'd expect it it rate very well if it gets onto FTA TV.  The NRL is popular amongst "most" Kiwis, who don't all support the Warriors. I have friends here who are bunnies and Sea eagles fans and I see plenty of Penrith shirts around too.

On the topic of the "podcast". It's a tad "rose tinted" in it's outlook, but there nothing wrong with positive thinking. I will say that the best RL players are still be snaffled by Union and that the Wellington RL comp sometimes struggles with a real lack of support, but this is a problem for the NZRL and others to tap into the huge NRL fanbase down here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, del capo said:

The RFL do it for their patch.

Check rugby league.com  ' Structure Strategy and Reports '

And check/ google Rugby League Community Game reports. The last one is dated August 2022.  They are very regular- quarterly I believe- and  amongst other things underpin continuing support from Sport England.

I had a quick look and there's very little there to build confidence.

The strategy sets some lofty goals but doesn't contain (of course) any detail as to how they are to be achieved.

It made me think of the IMG retort that they are going to score/reward what's actually been done not what potential exists.

Goals are fine but they need to be pursued with detailed plans and resources identified.

I couldn't see any reports, other than an annual one for 2021, which I couldn't get to open.

Just as an example, of the kind of thing, I believe should be tracked is how many schools (and pupils) were given an introduction to Rugby League each term or half term and how many school teachers were awarded a basic RL coaching certificate in the same time period.

There are many other criteria by which growth (or decline) might be measured. 

This is a record of actual people exposed to the game and some measure of the capacity of our efforts to retain their loyalty/involvement.

Year on year (if we are doing it right) the numbers should be growing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this kind of tracking goes on in the North East. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I had a quick look and there's very little there to build confidence.

The strategy sets some lofty goals but doesn't contain (of course) any detail as to how they are to be achieved.

It made me think of the IMG retort that they are going to score/reward what's actually been done not what potential exists.

Goals are fine but they need to be pursued with detailed plans and resources identified.

I couldn't see any reports, other than an annual one for 2021, which I couldn't get to open.

Just as an example, of the kind of thing, I believe should be tracked is how many schools (and pupils) were given an introduction to Rugby League each term or half term and how many school teachers were awarded a basic RL coaching certificate in the same time period.

There are many other criteria by which growth (or decline) might be measured. 

This is a record of actual people exposed to the game and some measure of the capacity of our efforts to retain their loyalty/involvement.

Year on year (if we are doing it right) the numbers should be growing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this kind of tracking goes on in the North East. 

The RL website can be clunky I agree but did you actually search the web itself Irish? I've just googled ' Community Game reports rugby league ' and pulled up the last 3. Another one is imminent.

These reports are a contractual arrangement between RFL and Sport England and contain KPI's that have to be measured and met to justify present and ongoing funding. They average 20+ pages each and are detailed. The statistics are double checked by Sport England every time - ' warts and all'  - even down to the numbers  and types of players registered in each area and games played in those regions.

Have another look Irish - it's all there !

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2023 at 23:57, Eddie said:

The first decent episode of Chasing Kangaoos (which used to be superb every time) in ages. And it good to hear from someone on the ground in NZ without an agenda that the game is thriving there. 

I haven’t listened to this episode but will give it a go.

I agree with your sentiment on recent episodes. The most recent ones I have listened to seem to be incoherent ramblings of a tired and confused man.

Edited by Sports Prophet

5 hours ago, del capo said:

The RL website can be clunky I agree but did you actually search the web itself Irish? I've just googled ' Community Game reports rugby league ' and pulled up the last 3. Another one is imminent.

These reports are a contractual arrangement between RFL and Sport England and contain KPI's that have to be measured and met to justify present and ongoing funding. They average 20+ pages each and are detailed. The statistics are double checked by Sport England every time - ' warts and all'  - even down to the numbers  and types of players registered in each area and games played in those regions.

Have another look Irish - it's all there !

Thanks for the advice del capo. I will keep my finger on the pulse (now I know where the pulse is). 

It's great to see some solid work being done.

I hope it continues to yield positive results long into the future. 

• Like 1