Sat 11th Mar: SL: Hull FC v Salford Red Devils KO 15:00 (OurLeague)

Who will win?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/03/23 at 15:30

6 minutes ago, Zilla Budgie said:

Saints v Hull should be an interesting one next week.

And I've agreed to go...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

40 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Cheers OF. We have had plenty of disappointments over the years. More than Hull, I would suggest. We still haven't won anything big since 1973. But days like this keep us Reds fans enthused and wanting more.

No problem pal, 1973 is far too long for you lot to have gone without a major trophy.

Still, it's only 12 years longer than the team that DS supports with such fervour. Although I think that they quietly cheer on whichever team Hull FC are playing with rather more enthusiasm than their beloved Hull KR.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

No problem pal, 1973 is far too long for you lot to have gone without a major trophy.

I don't know if fans of other sports are like RL fans. I don't care about other sports. But after a bad day at the office it's always hard and far too often overly dramatic. Hull will come back because that is far too good a side and Tony Smith far too good a coach.

I have stopped following SRD now, I reached the end a little while ago. That probably means they'll win a trophy now but their fans are brilliant and in need of something good and positive happening for them.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If I knew that, I'd be the coach.

For this to happen so consistently over so many years with so many different coaches means there's something inherently wrong at the club. No club with the budget we have and the access to the resources we have should perform so abysmally on so many occasions. 

I'm hoping an actual experienced coach like Smith can put his finger on it and make the drastic changes needed, even if this year is a bit of a bust.

Gordon Bennett.

9 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Hull seem to have the same issues every year no matter who’s coach, I think there must be something wrong elsewhere in the set up

The owner?

All these issues, new players,new coaches, same issues, same owner.

There seems to be a culture at Hull that isn't acceptable elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Segovia Carpet said:

What do Salford bring to SL?

Entertainment.

I am an old timer who watched Swinton in the 1960s when the wonderful Cliff Evans was Coaching with moves from Swinton`s own 25. 

Rowley thinks the same way and has done away with driving props.   Would guess Hull were a stone aman heavier than Salford today and Rowleyball worked again.

I'm an even older timer and watched the Evans coached Swinton side in the 50's when Hull had another wonderful Welsh coach called Roy Francis. After leaving Swinton Evans had a few years coaching Salford.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meast said:

The owner?

All these issues, new players,new coaches, same issues, same owner.

There seems to be a culture at Hull that isn't acceptable elsewhere.

Also a playing style and recruitment of bigger is better. 

The game has moved on and Hull haven't. 

1 hour ago, Stanley30 said:

Also a playing style and recruitment of bigger is better. 

The game has moved on and Hull haven't. 

That was a Radford recruitment style.

I'd hardly say we have bigger players these days other than our props. Everyone else is quite small.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

19 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

These issues were around in 2008-2011 also.

For me there has to be a group of local players who drive the culture at the club. I look at Hulls local lads in the side and I doubt they are driving the club on most will be happy to have made it as rl players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Watt said:

I'm an even older timer and watched the Evans coached Swinton side in the 50's when Hull had another wonderful Welsh coach called Roy Francis. After leaving Swinton Evans had a few years coaching Salford

I think both those two fantastic coaches would have relished working with sides today.

For coaches with a bad day at work it's simply back to what you can control.

For fans autopsies are rarely helpful though the theatre they take place in helps with the over sized drama.

For Hull fans with that side your season will be fine, it will turn around. All the best against everyone else.

Having said all that I think the over focus on Hull does not do SRD enough justice and although some might not like this the Red Devils monstered the game which, in all likelihood, added to Hull's difficulties.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Having said all that I think the over focus on Hull does not do SRD enough justice and although some might not like this the Red Devils monstered the game which, in all likelihood, added to Hull's difficulties.

In fairness, had this been at Salford I think there wouldn't be as much focus on Hull. But for a playoff contender to be mullered at home by another playoff contender, and the club being the size of Hull, it was always going to be more "what's gone wrong."

Had Salford also had an impressive start to the season, it might have been more about how good they were, but they were 1 from 3 going into this.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

13 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Still, it's only 12 years longer than the team that DS supports with such fervour. Although I think that they quietly cheer on whichever team Hull FC are playing with rather more enthusiasm than their beloved Hull KR.

Because no FC fan does the equivalent, oh no… there were times on Friday night when friends from the dark side sent me score updates on WhatsApp before we’d updated the scoreboard at Craven Park 🤣🤣🤣

(PS 1983 is 2 years longer ago than 1985… just saying…)

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

For me there has to be a group of local players who drive the culture at the club. I look at Hulls local lads in the side and I doubt they are driving the club on most will be happy to have made it as rl players. 

So with your initial sentance Bob, Should all clubs be allowed to run academies if they are able and want to do so, there is no better way to get local talent into your club, is there?

Edited by Harry Stottle

28 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

In fairness, had this been at Salford I think there wouldn't be as much focus on Hull. But for a playoff contender to be mullered at home by another playoff contender, and the club being the size of Hull, it was always going to be more "what's gone wrong."

Had Salford also had an impressive start to the season, it might have been more about how good they were, but they were 1 from 3 going into this.

So how many clubs to you believe are play-off contenders Wellsy, it is still the top 5 this year is it? Or put another way in your eyes which clubs are definatley not play-off contenders considering the season is only 4 games old

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So with your initial sentance Bob, All clubs should be allowed to run academies if they are able and want to do so, there is no better way to get local talent into your club, is there?

Absolutely everyone who meets the criteria should be allowed to run academy’s. 

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I agree with all that Wellsy and there'll alway be other factors involved especially where and how  journalism has to work these days.

For Hull it will always be a case of expectation matching outcome.

The deep autopsy mood of fans doesn't help anyone see the actual causes but as I said they'll be fine this season and one match is always just a blip in the season win or lose.

Even though I stopped following SRD for my sanity I still look for their result first of course, and they are improving game on game, from what I've seen ,which hasn't been much.

Edited by Oxford

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Because no FC fan does the equivalent, oh no… there were times on Friday night when friends from the dark side sent me score updates on WhatsApp before we’d updated the scoreboard at Craven Park 🤣🤣🤣

Hey up young man, my swipe wasn't a generic one, just aimed at DS really, as they post more about Hull FC than Hull KR. I know I post score updates on the Hull KR match threads but I continue doing it for the full match if I can, regardless of whether they're losing or winning.

Whenever I pull them up about it I'm accused of being "sensitive"...one of the more heart warming descriptions I've ever received, tbh.

• Like 1

Who needs sanity @Oxford? The predictable unpredictability is part of the joy of watching Salford.😁

Turning up expecting your team to win every week like Saints & Wigan fans would be boring!

As for the game, the way to beat Hull is to just keep moving the ball. Their pack has had a fair amount of size the last few seasons (as did their backline) but their backs have been painfully slow. Games where we've tried to match them up front we've struggled but as soon as we've thrown it out wide we've caused havoc. They're also susceptible around the ruck area and having a running 9 like Ackers continually puts them on the back foot. 

I know they weren't at full strength yesterday and whilst I think that did impact them, I'm not sure the result would've been massively different if those half a dozen or so had been available.

For a club with such a great fanbase, ability to spend the cap, strong local amateur set-up and elite academy they really should be a top 4 club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1