Eurovision 2023

We appear to have a pretty decent song this year.

Austria's is better, though.

Shaping up to be quite a fun year having had a quick look over what has been chosen.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On a less happy note, Radio 4's You and Yours programme yesterday was about the latest queue-jumping software that touts used to clean out many of the best tickets for lucrative resale.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, YCKonstantine said:

Finland to win for me, CHA CHA CHA! 

It's not been the ear worm for me that other people seem to be finding, although I do like it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

On a less happy note, Radio 4's You and Yours programme yesterday was about the latest queue-jumping software that touts used to clean out many of the best tickets for lucrative resale.

Really should have been a ballot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I’d personally rather go to the dentists than Eurovision but each to their own. But even so, this type of thing IS pretty scandalous and unfair. But it won’t end until people actually stop paying vastly overinflated prices.

Which they won’t.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Semi-final 1 kicks off with an inadvertent copying of Groucho and Harpo's mirror scene from Horse Feathers.

Lots of Ukrainian yellow and blue on show and in the lighting/staging too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A good variety of styles, and some imaginative staging, but there barely been a singer who can carry a tune without going horribly flat.

At last, Moldova bring a touch of banging Euro-weirdness!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sweden going for the arty and overwrought approach, with former winner Loreen. She'll have someone's eye out if she's not careful.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Azerbaijan: Which one's Merry and which one's Pippin? Sedate guitar-pop, fairly pleasant, but not hugely memorable.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Czechia: Vesna heads up what looks a little bit like a ponytail-based cult.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Netherlands: A drippy ballad that sounds like they assembled bits from the last 10 contest winners. The male singer reminds me of the protagonist in Escape from the Bronx (1983).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Finland: Starts promisingly insanely. I think this one might do all right. Not much of a song, but a crowd-pleaser.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, JohnM said:

wTF is Rita Ora wearing....or singing, for that matter? 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Well, she'll never be short of somewhere to rest her pie and pint with that dress.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aah, Ruslana! Happy memories...

MV5BMWExOGZmN2UtZGNmOC00YjNlLTkwYTYtYzM3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh God, Dustin the Turkey's turned up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Qualifiers from SF1
Croatia: oh, what "wacky" "funsters" they are!
Czechia: some ponytail-centred clone cult
Finland: a crowd-pleasing banger
Israel: looks good, sings okay-ish, presents like a mandrill
Moldova: tribal nuttiness
Norway: holds a note like Jemini on a bad day
Portugal: Uninspired oompah
Serbia: Emo Paul Atreides
Sweden: Oi, Noreen! Giggerota from 'The Lexx' wants her outfit back!
Switzerland: a bit drippy, but a certain sort of fan will want to mother him

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Qualifiers from SF1
Croatia: oh, what "wacky" "funsters" they are!
Czechia: some ponytail-centred clone cult
Finland: a crowd-pleasing banger
Israel: looks good, sings okay-ish, presents like a mandrill
Moldova: tribal nuttiness
Norway: holds a note like Jemini on a bad day
Portugal: Uninspired oompah
Serbia: Emo Paul Atreides
Sweden: Oi, Noreen! Giggerota from 'The Lexx' wants her outfit back!
Switzerland: a bit drippy, but a certain sort of fan will want to mother him

Malta woz robbed.