Eurovision 2023

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ireland's effort.

A decent song but an odd performance where the main singer looked all over the place. I'm not sure if he was nervous or his voice had gone but he kept pulling away from the mike. He looked like a kid playing what he thinks a rockstar should be.

That's without even mentioning the rather serious case of moose knuckle 😬.

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ireland's effort.

A decent song but an odd performance where the main singer looked all over the place. I'm not sure if he was nervous or his voice had gone but he kept pulling away from the mike. He looked like a kid playing what he thinks a rockstar should be.

That's without even mentioning the rather serious case of moose knuckle 😬.

think that's why, a not very flattering jumpsuit done for him😑

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Apparently, the UK's entry hates Britain and has applied for a German passport.

Aye, she's great.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was lucky enough to get 3 tickets in the Ticketmaster melee earlier this year for the Tuesday afternoon rehearsal of the first semi final. 🤩

Having watched Eurovision since the days before ABBA (yes, I am that old), it was a rare old treat to see a live show, even if it wasn't a televised one. I never thought I'd live long enough to see the UK host Eurovision ever again, let alone be in the arena to watch it on home soil.

The rehearsal I saw was identical to the broadcast show on Tuesday night, apart from presenters Alesha Dixon and Hannah Waddingham wearing their 'day' clothes rather than the costumes they wore on the night. Also, they used stand-ins for the acts during the ad-break interview pieces and occupying the sofas when the results were being announced. However, Bucks Fizz (sorry, The Fizz, now there's only three of 'em) were there in person, as was Dustin the Turkey. Not sure Ireland will forgive the BBC for reminding them of their 'finest hour' like that. Imagine how we'd feel if another broadcaster ever dragged out Jemini, the UK's first ever nul-pointers to rub our noses back in it. 

The interval acts were as seen on TV, and the 'results' were revealed the same way, but the countries that qualified were chosen at random, as Sweden didn't get through at the rehearsal, despite being runaway favourites to win the contest on Saturday!

The only bit of instruction we were given as an audience was to stay silent at the very start of the show, to make the opening sequence acknowledging the UK is hosting on behalf of Ukraine more effective, and to turn on our phone torches during the song from Azerbaijan.

I have to say, the whole thing was very slick and hugely entertaining. The speed with which they change the stage for each act was phenomenal, you don't get to see how hard the stage hands work watching it on TV, as they are broadcasting the introductory postcards for the acts while they are busy shunting bits and pieces off and on. There was a bit of a delay with the revolving stage used by the Netherlands, but they just cut to Alesha Dixon doing some filler chat while they got it fixed, and the show finished precisely on time anyway, so they obviously build in the chance for stage mishaps into the running time.

The Liverpool Arena is quite small, compared to some of the enormodomes used in recent Eurovisions, but that doesn't really affect how it looks on the live broadcast, and when you're in the arena, you're much closer to all the action so it is a bonus. I had a great view of the stage.

Everyone seemed genuinely thrilled to be there, which added a real buzz of excitement to the proceedings, and few if any of the audience appeared to be seeing these performances or hearing the songs for the first time, as they were singing and clapping along in all the right places. I know I was! 

That illustrates how much Eurovision has changed over the years. In the 'olden days' you'd hardly ever hear any of the songs before the night of the contest. Now they are available everywhere, on every platform, for weeks if not months before. Many are already massive hits in their own territories and the artists have been performing them at live ESC concerts all over Europe long before the televised shows. It has taken the UK a long time to wake up to this fact. We've been too busy moaning that Europe hates us to excuse our poor results, until Sam Ryder proved last year that Europe doesn't hate us, we just have to work much harder at it now.

I thought the quality overall was very high. I enjoyed all the performances I saw, and the wild variety of them just adds to the fun. Some of the staging will look better on TV, such as Sweden, where Loreen is stuck in the middle of an illuminated sandwich for half the song, so we couldn't see her, just the cameramen floating around doing the close ups that will be broadcast. Same with Israel, where Noa Kirel is inside an illuminated box for the first half of the song, so we couldn't see her at all from the side of the stage where we were sat, but it looks great on TV from the front angle.

I think it's fair to say that Käärijä from Finland absolutely stole the show, performing last. He definitely got the biggest reaction from the crowd, before, during and after his song, and everyone in the arena was chanting 'Cha Cha Cha!', including me. 🟢🟢🟢😊🟢🟢🟢

If it's like that on Saturday, I think it will win the televote by a mile, though I anticipate Sweden will win the jury vote. I'm not putting money on either though, even if I did correctly guess all ten qualifiers on Tuesday, this is Eurovision and anything could happen...

All in all, I had a fantastic time in Liverpool on Tuesday, grateful to have had the opportunity to experience it, and will be glued to the telly on Thursday and Saturday night too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Apparently, the UK's entry hates Britain and has applied for a German passport.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1768708/Eurovision-grand-final-2023-Mae-muller-song-tweet

Sounds like a classic example of where social media complicates things.

It's easy to say stuff like that when you're in a bubble of likeminded people who will pat you on the back.

It suddenly becomes a problem when the world can look at your past opinions and you suddenly need the support of the people you were slagging off.

Will it make her a hypocrite when she's sat there waving flags and all that? Yes but not probably more than anyone else. I'm quite proud to be British, as I see it as entirely different from supporting the government, the royal family or football hooligans. Did I say anti-British stuff when I was younger? Almost certainly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It suddenly becomes a problem when the world can look at your past opinions and you suddenly need the support of the people you were slagging off.

She'll suddenly need the support of the only country in the contest that can't vote for her?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Denmark: Another hobbit, with an underwhelming voice. He likes the camera a bit too much - there's a big, positive crowd out there that he's barely acknowledged.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Armenia: Starts out like Liquid Len never retired. She's a dramatic performer, and I think this one's tipped to do well.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Romania: Angsty guitar-strumming balladry gives way to something far, far worse.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Estonia: Alika has a worthy ballad for us. No votes coming from the high-camp mob or the freak fans, then.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Belgium: This sounds like a bit of a floor-filler for the coming Summer. Big Seventies vibes in the chorus.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cyprus: Himbo with a falsetto.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Iceland: An overwrought empowerment ballad. Features a lot of singing very loudly while bent double.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Greece: A pith helmet short of the full "It ain't half hot, mum" look. Christ, he's murdering almost every single note!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Poland: The velvet hotpants may be the highlights of this sub-Shakira effort.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Slovenia: Joker Out are a big deal back home. Quite a feat to perform in the round and have no band member ever stop looking straight at the camera.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Georgia: Pounding drums, flashing lights and a shrill voice - pass the Paracetamol!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

San Marino: The bass player's made giant strides... so he can wear them for this very special occasion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Please make it stop.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Austria: A song about Edgar Allan Poe, of all things.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Albania: The family that ululates together, stays together.

Ralph Waldo Emerson