IMG Grading Unveiled

9 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I never said IMG wanted a 10 team league, I think its pretty obvious that they don't. Do you really think many SL teams would complain though if SL was reduced to 10 teams and it meant getting their grubby little hands on some more cash?

By that logic why not 8 teams or 6?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I never said IMG wanted a 10 team league, I think its pretty obvious that they don't. Do you really think many SL teams would complain though if SL was reduced to 10 teams and it meant getting their grubby little hands on some more cash?

If the owners of Super League teams wanted cash, they wouldn't own a rugby league club

The owners want to grow the revenues of the sport, which won't happen unless the sport is successful. Success is a more attractive product, leading to more broadcast eyeballs, more digital and social eyeballs, and more commercial partners interested in all of those eyeballs..!!! 👀

We need to spend more time worrying about how we grow the cake, and less time complaining that your club's slice got smaller. That's because the cake got smaller, not because other people stole your slice. Everyone in the sport needs to work together to get baking!

Top league clubs don't get up in the morning and think "how can I make life harder for teams in the other tiers". They just don't. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Surely that comment on digital advertising, which is actually digital footprint, must be in jest? 

Perhaps that explains a lot. The world is so far removed from how it was 25 years ago that some cannot get with that.

As it stands, Keighley, along with a couple of others who have been less public, have taken the approach that the IMG plan will not benefit them and therefore they will rail against it in whatever way suits at that moment. Their proposals are unworkable, dumbing down, and arguably the antithesis of what IMG and the RFL are trying to achieve for the game. 

Quite understandably 

I have made quite a few comments on this thread so far. I have also followed the many various replies  and many are justifiable and have merit. One thing I have noticed is that supporters of the top SL clubs generally seem to think this is a great idea. Supporters or the less fashionable clubs and lower leagues have their reservations. Just my observation, but if correct, I wonder why ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

does sound an awful lot like "if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle" (for the gen z social media fans)

She does and she is (for the gen z social media fans).😛

Edited by The Rocket
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, redjonn said:

It was a Town comment, not small Town comment.  I don't see any issue with having a club like Warrington which is basically a Town club (I am not considering any technical and historical aspects that may determine whether a place is a Town or City). 

Opinions and debate not needed here.

Has it got a charter?

If yes, it's a city.

If no, it's a town.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

13 hours ago, redjonn said:

I also noted the specific point about the analogy of the winning team in a play-off would not be promoted, whilst the losing team would if it had a small percentage point higher in grading. That being confirmed by IMG spokesperson. 

Can you add more detail on this please?

The way i understand your commentary, is that if Toulouse beat Halifax in a final, but Halifax have a higher graded B score, it'll be Halifax that get promoted?

Is that conjecture, or has this been confirmed?

This would be horrendous and absolutely the end of me putting any time / money into the sport in this country.

My thoughts are that they'll amend their proposals to allow freedom of movement between clubs of the same grade depending on performance, but christ if they don't... it'll be carnage. 

--

A different thought.. and i assume this will be released in due course..

The detail on when the scores are known and when everyone knows their score/grade is crucial, too. To be told at the end of the season would be silly. It could mean that the fans of clubs don't have that sporting moment of elation / desperation as their club wins promotion, finishes last as they wait for the numbers to be crunched. It'd be like VAR on Ronnie Coleman levels of PEDs.

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

9 hours ago, Griff said:

Opinions and debate not needed here.

Has it got a charter?

If yes, it's a city.

If no, it's a town.

yep, I was trying to differentiate between the big city and a smaller populous of a Town as distinct from its charter status or historical Cathedral status or recent city status bids success. Hence Warrington used as an example of a Town as don't know if their bid was successful.  

50 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

The way i understand your commentary, is that if Toulouse beat Halifax in a final, but Halifax have a higher graded B score, it'll be Halifax that get promoted?

This would be horrendous and absolutely the end of me putting any time / money into the sport in this country.

My thoughts are that they'll amend their proposals to allow freedom of movement between clubs of the same grade depending on performance, but christ if they don't... it'll be carnage. 

--

The detail on when the scores are known and when everyone knows their score/grade is crucial, too. To be told at the end of the season would be silly. It could mean that the fans of clubs don't have that sporting moment of elation / desperation as their club wins promotion, finishes last as they wait for the numbers to be crunched. It'd be like VAR on Ronnie Coleman levels of PEDs.

On promotion its what the Keighley duo said. They asked that specific question and got that answer confirmed.   Thats what they said and as I repeated in my comment as to what they had said they had confirmed. 

I took it as them telling the truth as to what was said in the meeting.

11 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I have made quite a few comments on this thread so far. I have also followed the many various replies  and many are justifiable and have merit. One thing I have noticed is that supporters of the top SL clubs generally seem to think this is a great idea. Supporters or the less fashionable clubs and lower leagues have their reservations. Just my observation, but if correct, I wonder why ?

Money & Greed

Because, as with any system, the top super league clubs will basically be fine regardless.

Fans of some, I stress some because it is far from all, of the other clubs you describe have taken umbridge. And they are the shoutiest, but seem to be by far the minority.

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

--

For both reasons given, promotion by coefficient is absolutely crazy. So crazy that it's hard to believe RL Commercial/RFL/IMG can be serious.

On the second point, imagine a team being given a score of 8.75 at some cut off point in July (say) which leaves them 13th. However, a few extra TikTok views later and they are up to 8.8 by September and 12th. Can't happen? I would say you could currently throw a blanket over 11th to 14th in the ratings.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Because, as with any system, the top super league clubs will basically be fine regardless.

Fans of some, I stress some because it is far from all, of the other clubs you describe have taken umbridge. And they are the shoutiest, but seem to be by far the minority.

You seem to denigrate the Keighley guys. They have raised concerns plus have stated specific aspects they disagree with.  Whats wrong with them raising their views. So far you seem to called them out as tin foil hat brigade and shoutiest as far as I can read - I apologise if you have not said that.  

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

For both reasons given, promotion by coefficient is absolutely crazy. So crazy that it's hard to believe RL Commercial/RFL/IMG can be serious.

On the second point, imagine a team being given a score of 8.75 at some cut off point in July (say) which leaves them 13th. However, a few extra TikTok views later and they are up to 8.8 by September and 12th. Can't happen? I would say you could currently throw a blanket over 11th to 14th in the ratings.

IMG said 'A' teams guaranteed SL safety.

There was no mention of 'B's being safe., therefore

as Keighley lads suggested all 'B's should be up for annual P&R and better still 2 at a time

NO INTERGRADING.  Simple A,B or C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As an Eagles fan for (except 7 years when they didnt exist) my entire life I think that these proposals are exactly what the game needs and think that, even though we will not benefit in the short term, the ability for clubs to have a road map to follow and to be able to plan for the future may actually see some new investment. 

I know in the past there have been people sniffing around with money but they have walked because the idea of development = return is not there... now there is a clear and defined way of getting from B to A (literally).. and that IMHO will help with investment. I also think it will produce a forward thinking game as a whole that starts to engage more with the younger/modern community which I honestly don't see it doing very well at the moment, and that will help drive not only interaction but crowds (with other things that are happening) and then potential TV/Social deals. All of which help with revenue and we start to get into a virtuous circle instead of the vicious one some clubs seem to be in at the moment. 

My dog in this fight has been dumped on from a great height by the game in the past.. it will not benefit from this initially and will be consigned to more years in the Champ, and its a club that won the champ when there was no P&R last time so been there and done that for all those who say "its no fun when the league means nothing" tell that to the Eagles fans celebrating back to back champ success.. 

clubs should have questions, it was an overview document, and these questions should be answered. But lets not beat around the bush, the way the game is run and the way clubs try to "develop" is not benefitting anyone but the top clubs anyway, it needs to change to have a chance of everyone getting more benefit. Yes that may mean those at the top getting, cash wise, more but if everyone rose their income by 50% even then that is more than plodding along as we are at the moment is going to do and that 50% gets to be invested for good and so on. Clubs are very stuck in their ways, this shake up across the board may just work (it also may not) but the 1 guarantee in this is that doing it the same way as we have without someone giving some clubs a kick up the backside is not going to grow the game, and if you aren't growing you are shrinking.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yep, I was trying to differentiate between the big city and a smaller populous of a Town as distinct from its charter status or historical Cathedral status or recent city status bids success. Hence Warrington used as an example of a Town as don't know if their bid was successful.  

Yeah - cathedrals haven't been an issue since Victorian times when Belfast was awarded city status.  Try and find Leeds Anglican cathedral and you'll struggle.  Folk don't notice what's under their noses.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

27 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

You can buy 1000 Twitter followers for around £25.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

It's been confirmed since the outset that it's the grading of Bs that determines who joins SL. I appreciate this may have passed you by but people are asking the same question over and over that was already answered on day 1. 

In your example, it wouldn't happen like that. It would be say for example that Halifax and Toulouse in all aspects other than performance are level on score. In that season, promotion would be announced prior to the final even occurring, and would be based on performance from the previous 3 years. Which would for example prevent a situation where Halifax win the league 3 times in a row then lose in the 4th it wouldn't count against them. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You can buy 1000 Twitter followers for around £25.....

You can run analysis on how much twitter accounts are boosted by bots also. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.