IMG Grading Unveiled

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And yet when I visit clubs there are loads of kids there watching the game 

And yet rugby league is one of the least watched sports among young people. How many kids will continue watching once they no longer have to go with their parents? Will they watch at home?

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

And yet rugby league is one of the least watched sports among young people. How many kids will continue watching once they no longer have to go with their parents? Will they watch at home?

My post was based on my personal experience , is there some ' evidence ' to support your claim ? 

2 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

I think that statement is ridiculous about the 125 years.

There was 100 years prior to SL where every team was treat equal. Almost all teams had good and bad spells along the way.

Even the great Wigan were in League 2 [Came back up unbeaten following year] but I may be getting mixed  up with Man Utd who did same a couple of year earlier.

But during that time around 24 different teams managed to win the league and 30 different teams won/appeared in the Challenge Cup Final.

Since SL - only 4 teams have won SL and 7 have won CC [Catalan, hull and Warrington and the 4 SL winners]

Same thing every year and boring - A third of the RFL teams paid to be better than the rest.

That is good for them [and well done] but it is not good for the game.

Saints, Wigan and Leeds etc were already great teams and would have continued that way, without the money that has distanced themselves from everyone else.

That money has not made them look better  it has just made everyone else look worse.

I dont blame the teams for this - it should have been shared out equally at the start and brought everyone up together.

Saints, Wigan and Leeds would still be where they are but the leagues would be more competitive. 

This is due to the SKy money being unfairly distributed nothing else. RFLs fault

Its the same teams every year. Boring.

and the IMG plans dont help.

If IMG want to help start LEVELING UP

Levelling up is an anathema, always has been always will be.. unless you grow the pot.. otherwise all you do is level down, it's simple maths/economics. 

As mentioned earlier it was being simplistic as are all the arguments put about levelling up/p&r to stay/giving everyone a "fair crack"... we are where we are now, it has changed since full professionalism mid 90s because, put simply, teams needed more money to pay bigger wage bills.. we haven't really developed since then because we've never grasped what professionalism means (RU is the same at club level, as is county cricket).. 

We are starting to do that with these ideas IMHO 

3 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

Shock news that clubs further away bring less supporters than a club a few miles down the road. Can't get anything past you 

But without doubt, those teams they play take more fans to their place which is the same distance but in reverse, or is that passing you by🤔

3 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Local game for local aging people. English rugby league is in for some bad days if the interest levels among the younger generations don't change.

There are probably more sub 30's than over 30's at Leigh, how is it wherever on the continent that you live?

Edit, Meant to say 40's

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nope not at all Gubby, never mind living in the heartlands he doesn't even live in England.

I despair at some of the ' opinions ' I see on here Harry 

It's what happens on the pitch that excites and engages me , the collective sharing of emotions , pre , post and at the match , they'll end up killing it stone dead 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But without doubt, those teams they play take more fans to their place which is the same distance but in reverse, or is that passing you by🤔

No I am just wondering what your straw man argument is trying to prove. Unless of course, like the Keighley management, you like to whine on about how results on the pitch are sacrosanct for your own club and P&R is the be all and end all, while busily suggesting that other clubs should be judged on another measure such as the amount of away fans and thrown out of they don't reach your standards. There is, of course, a word for that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I thought the argument from a certain section was not to judge a club based on it's fans or finances but on the pitch? 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

NO - On one side its wanting a share of the cake and on the other side ITS WANTING IT ALL?

So you agree, no difference. Greed from both sides. Wanting more money. 

Actually I don't think it is all about greed. It is about helping to build the game to the status that it deserves. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

It sounded to me like the Keighley owners were saying they wanted 2 up 2 down with traditional P&R and not having it within the IMG system. We need as many clubs in Super League to be looking up and raise their standards to get to the level of Saints, Wigan etc and I feel adding an extra relegation place would just spook clubs into just focusing on trying to make sure that they get to still be in Super League from one season to the next which would entrench the big clubs at the top even more. Two promotion places will just encourage a mad scramble for promotion and IMO it's the short term thinking that the game needs to move away from.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

It sounded to me like the Keighley owners were saying they wanted 2 up 2 down with traditional P&R and not having it within the IMG system. We need as many clubs in Super League to be looking up and raise their standards to get to the level of Saints, Wigan etc and I feel adding an extra relegation place would just spook clubs into just focusing on trying to make sure that they get to still be in Super League from one season to the next which would entrench the big clubs at the top even more. Two promotion places will just encourage a mad scramble for promotion and IMO it's the short term thinking that the game needs to move away from.

Sure. But the IMG system has 12-A club relegation spots. 

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Think about it Oxy as my last post, not like you not to consider all angles

What am I to think about 'arry?

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

A single relegation spot means that the promoted club and 1 or 2 others are scrambling to stay safe as opposed to investing in long term planning. 2 relegation spots will increase that to 4 or 5. Almost half the league. That will just mean that the top 4 or 5 (which some people are saying make it boring and want to shake up) will become more and more entrenched. It would make it more unlikely for a club like Huddersfield, Salford, Cas, Hull KR to make a sustained challenge for the top 4.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

A single relegation spot means that the promoted club and 1 or 2 others are scrambling to stay safe as opposed to investing in long term planning. 2 relegation spots will increase that to 4 or 5. Almost half the league. That will just mean that the top 4 or 5 (which some people are saying make it boring and want to shake up) will become more and more entrenched. It would make it more unlikely for a club like Huddersfield, Salford, Cas, Hull KR to make a sustained challenge for the top 4.

What about having 6 relegation spots, as these proposals might deliver?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

What about having 6 relegation spots, as these proposals might deliver?

Then the 6 coming up will be such obviously superior additions to super league in every way that it makes excellent sense?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Then the 6 coming up will be such obviously superior additions to super league in every way that it makes excellent sense?

Or they beat the six relegated SL clubs by a fraction of a grading point in a single category?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

No I am just wondering what your straw man argument is trying to prove. Unless of course, like the Keighley management, you like to whine on about how results on the pitch are sacrosanct for your own club and P&R is the be all and end all, while busily suggesting that other clubs should be judged on another measure such as the amount of away fans and thrown out of they don't reach your standards. There is, of course, a word for that

Yep that's me summed up and many others, take away P&R and the game will start to erode.

By the way what is the word.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

And yet when I visit clubs there are loads of kids there watching the game 

And that is part of the problem that people seem to totally ignore. It is the same in Halifax yet for some reason areas that have a great record of producing rugby league talent are seemed to be looked down upon by some who would rather have a team in from an obscure location that brings very little to the game. I am all for expansion if it is done correctly and teams are allowed to grow organically but the obsession with expansion clubs and getting them quickly in to SL just feels absurd.

• Thanks 1