Grading

clifford

1 hour ago, clifford said:

Now we know how promotion will be obtained in years to come. 

What grade do you think we'll get at the end of the season.

Looking at the criteria I m not holding out for an A B or C

The only thing we've got going for us is the number of clubs in the area  and population. We need to move to BP, that will solve the stadium criterion and then we need to perform on the field. Problem solved.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

The only thing we've got going for us is the number of clubs in the area  and population. We need to move to BP, that will solve the stadium criterion and then we need to perform on the field. Problem solved.

Clearly we are a C and a move to BP is the only way forward to a B. Our future has to be there.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jroyales said:

So what is stopping us from going to BP?

We hear lots of theories but what is the fact? I suppose having only 525 there would outnumber the security element.

Who knows? Frank Rothwell openly stated he wanted us there in one of his early interviews 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, jroyales said:

We hear lots of theories but what is the fact? I suppose having only 525 there would outnumber the security element.

The sale of Boundary Park has not been completed yet. 

10 hours ago, jroyales said:

I'm certain that when we move to BP, we will be getting double that as a minimum. Especially if we can gain promotion this season then we will be entertaining the likes of Fev, fax, Widnes etc . So I would hazard a guess at 1,500 to 2,000. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dennyroughyed said:

Understand a BIG announcement will be made soon, hopefully Monday, an element of which will be playing at Boundary Park next season onwards.

Positive and progressive for the club 😀

Define BIG? The last one described as that was a deal for training at Melrose. BP would be amazing but just an element??!!!!

Definitely bigger than a new training pitch.

Apologises, I am reluctant to provide detail as whilst the deal “is done” there is a reason it wasn’t announced yesterday and not my place to announce.

It put a big smile on my face when I heard and will, I believe, invigorate ORLFC and rugby league as a whole in the town.

Believe it should be announced early next week if not Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dennyroughyed said:

Definitely bigger than a new training pitch.

Apologises, I am reluctant to provide detail as whilst the deal “is done” there is a reason it wasn’t announced yesterday and not my place to announce.

It put a big smile on my face when I heard and will, I believe, invigorate ORLFC and rugby league as a whole in the town.

Believe it should be announced early next week if not Monday.

Now I’m interested. Anybody else heard anything?

Edited by Roughyed Rats

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

So, the votes are in. The proposals have been passed. Looks like we voted in favour. As a team at the bottom where the only way is up, then I think we are now in a good position to become a 'B'. 

Couldn't agree more

Someone on the main forum posted crowd attendances for the first few years of superleague. In the first year we were sixth in the attendance league with something like 4,500. It's a pity that the new board taking over didn't coincide with an actual move to BP. Although an increase in attendance is likely next season it's imperative that we get promoted this season. Otherwise we could lose some momentum. We are a relatively large town with an impeccable rugby League history. If we can aim to achieve crowds close to Salford, the lowest in SL, then we are on our way. Latics, I believe are achieving 4,500-5,000. We need to reignite the populace. We've been put down too often, now is our time to rise. Come on Oldham come on Oldham.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Bad for the game…..good for the big clubs…….rugby league reflecting our society….rich get richer and they dont give a monkeys about the rest.

Comrades come rally…….

Completely disagree. It’s about time these much needed minimum standards are brought in to improve the game as a whole. 

• Like 2

Our great game will never compete with other sports such as RU, football, cricket, golf, tennis this means we will never get the publicity our game deserves. I have written several times to sports' editors and I always get the same reply RL is not worth the page print because no-one is interested.

Spreading the game outside of the north of England has proven to be a disaster and monies trying to promote our game has been lost. 

So what is the purpose of this "grading" business? The Wigans, Leeds, St Helens and Warrington's will be OK they are already OK with all of the Sky money going to them. Anita is right the rich WILL get richer and the rest can just have memories.

So what's the answer publicity, publicity and more publicity!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

Our great game will never compete with other sports such as RU, football, cricket, golf, tennis this means we will never get the publicity our game deserves. I have written several times to sports' editors and I always get the same reply RL is not worth the page print because no-one is interested.

Spreading the game outside of the north of England has proven to be a disaster and monies trying to promote our game has been lost. 

So what is the purpose of this "grading" business? The Wigans, Leeds, St Helens and Warrington's will be OK they are already OK with all of the Sky money going to them. Anita is right the rich WILL get richer and the rest can just have memories.

So what's the answer publicity, publicity and more publicity!!!

Isn't it ever thus. Remember, at one time we were one of the big boys and we made record signings. You're right about publicity. However the publicity needs to be well coordinated with a set of objectives. I suggest we start by publicising the the town's historical legacy in relation to rugby league. Not many locals are aware of our history. It's something we can all start to do by promoting, on line, as often as we can that legacy. Starting with Joseph Platt, son of Oldham ,Father of Rugby League and using the hashtag #the town that made Rugby League .

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 3

Lets face it…..not many people want to pay to watch teams they have never heard off, who have no history and who continually struggle ( no i dont mean hornets😀).  Look at the league 1 league table over the last 5 or 6 years. What progress has been made this administrative driven expansion where teams didnt earn their place in the league…we are now extending that to the top two divisions.

We cannot compete with super league teams because they have full time players who train 5 days a week while our lads are working. That wasnt the case under on 30 team league or the early years of two divisions. It was not unheard of  for Oldham or Hornets to beat Wigan or Saints.  The playing field was level.

All I ask is that we are honest about what we expect these changes to achieve and we all come back in 5 years time to see if the changes have succeeded or if it has been another big leg pull by the big clubs.

Remember superleage was going to see us be able to compete with Australia….now we dont even qualify to play them….losing to a small pacific nation in our home world cup. 

• Like 5

On 20/04/2023 at 15:21, Anita Bath said:

We cannot compete with super league teams because they have full time players who train 5 days a week while our lads are working. That wasnt the case under on 30 team league or the early years of two divisions. It was not unheard of  for Oldham or Hornets to beat Wigan or Saints.  The playing field was level.

All I ask is that we are honest about what we expect these changes to achieve and we all come back in 5 years time to see if the changes have succeeded or if it has been another big leg pull by the big clubs.

So do weaken the Super League and distribute more money around or try and bring standards up across the board. That’s the balance.

This idea that it’s going to create a “closed shop” isn’t true though is it? The idea is that clubs have to grow themselves across a number of parameters off field before they play in the Super League (the flag ship RL comp in the Northern Hemisphere).

Leigh had to take a massive gamble in building a strong and expensive squad on multi year deals in the Championship to get promoted and then be strong enough to stay in Super League. Over the last few years now clubs just couldn’t make the jump up to Super League and just came back down again straight away. Promotion and relegation was broken.

On 20/04/2023 at 15:21, Anita Bath said:

Remember superleage was going to see us be able to compete with Australia….now we dont even qualify to play them….losing to a small pacific nation in our home world cup. 

Whilst England underperformed in that semi-final, that “small pacific nation” has a squad made of top NRL talent that has been brought up in Australian club systems.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OL14.yeds said:

So do weaken the Super League and distribute more money around or try and bring standards up across the board. That’s the balance.

This idea that it’s going to create a “closed shop” isn’t true though is it? The idea is that clubs have to grow themselves across a number of parameters off field before they play in the Super League (the flag ship RL comp in the Northern Hemisphere).

Leigh had to take a massive gamble in building a strong and expensive squad on multi year deals in the Championship to get promoted and then be strong enough to stay in Super League. Over the last few years now clubs just couldn’t make the jump up to Super League and just came back down again straight away. Promotion and relegation was broken.

Whilst England underperformed in that semi-final, that “small pacific nation” has a squad made of top NRL talent that has been brought up in Australian club systems.

17 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Closed shop was not mentioned in my post....but please can you specify precisely what you see the changes will achieve so we can judge them objectively.

I am not necessarily a supporter of the proposals but, objectively, they do set benchmarks for clubs to achieve, other than on the pitch, in order to develop towards higher gradings. As a principle that has to be an improvement doesn't it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.