World Baseball Classic

10 minutes ago, hw88 said:

Any baseball fans? Anyone interested?

GB play today for the first time ever. Looking at the draw avoiding last place in the group will be a success.

I'm a baseball fan but the classic holds no great appeal to myself (and many others)......its a side show diversion until the regular season gets underway...sort of an extension of spring training.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I'm a baseball fan but the classic holds no great appeal to myself (and many others)......its a side show diversion until the regular season gets underway...sort of an extension of spring training.

Being taken more seriously by the American players though it seems this year with  talent like Trout and Betts signed up.

Dominican Republic the team to beat though and Japan will be awkward opponents too.

Hope GB can do as well as hoped - think Freddie Freeman playing for Canada.

The pools played outside the US are always a lot more fun. The Taiwan crowds in particular have a fantastic time.

But then the CPBL is just outrageously good fun even if games can take all day.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 10/03/2023 at 05:48, Kayakman said:

Think thats what England said about the WC in the 30s as well.

Anyways, Im geared up for it. Unfortunately its at an awkward time, players arent at peak game readiness and March is a month owned by college basketball.

I'd much prefer it be moved to the middle of the summer. Take a two week break form the season and make it the true all-star break (though that comes with its own logistical headaches)

Edited by emesssea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, emesssea said:

Think thats what England said about the WC in the 30s as well.

Anyways, Im geared up for it. Unfortunately its at an awkward time, players arent at peak game readiness and March is a month owned by college basketball.

I'd much prefer it be moved to the middle of the summer. Take a two week break form the season and make it the true all-star break (though that comes with its own logistical headaches)

It gets some interest but is more of a preseason training thing to be honest...its big for some folks though but not really that many...opening day will that again is another matter.

On 11/03/2023 at 14:54, Kayakman said:

It gets some interest but is more of a preseason training thing to be honest...its big for some folks though but not really that many...opening day will that again is another matter.

Every other team except the US is playing like the losing is not an option. The tournament being spring training doesnt help the profile of the tournament but make no mistake these teams care and their fans care.

• Like 1

Bowing out following an expected loss to Mexico. 1-3 the record. But played a lot, lot better than many people feared.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Bowing out following an expected loss to Mexico. 1-3 the record. But played a lot, lot better than many people feared.

I saw some of the Colombia game and the play by play commentator was talking up development efforts generally for the U.K. baseball team so it sounds like they’re on the right trajectory.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

5 hours ago, Copa said:

Back in the day in Australia, many top level cricketers used to play baseball in the off season. Did that ever happen in England?

Baseball was fairly big in England but that was forgotten around the time of the second world war and it's now a very, very minor sport, albeit growing.

There is a more traditional 'British baseball' (sometimes called 'Welsh baseball') that was played specifically in Liverpool and in and around Newport and Cardiff in Wales. That had essentially died but there are a very small number of teams (3-4 each summer) that keep it going. It has scoring like cricket but plays like rounders.

• Like 1

USA beat Venezuela to get to the semi finals where they will play Cuba, whilst Mexico face Japan.

36,000 in to see the USA-Venezuela game which, and I'm not arguing the point about priorities, given that most baseball fans in the US will care more about Spring Training, is remarkable.

A USA-Mexico final would be ... insane.

On 17/03/2023 at 00:47, Copa said:

Back in the day in Australia, many top level cricketers used to play baseball in the off season. Did that ever happen in England?

Used to follow Stretford Saints in the early 1960s though I think they were mainly made up of players from Burtonwood  airbase.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Baseball_Club

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2