Sam Tomkins

12 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I like Sam Tomkins,he's been a cracking player. Rugby league will worse off without him on the field. 

I agree with everything you say mate- cracking player, exciting to watch and has really grown into a leader.

Hes been great in SL and i thought he was great in his first season in the NRL but went to the wrong club - still one of the best in the world over the past 15 years though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Weird that he played a match for the Barbarians, anyone know how that came about? 

He mentioned why on the High Performance Podcast. He actually wanted to try Union as he felt he’d achieved what he could in League. Saracens wanted both him and Joel, Wigan wanted more money for Sam than Saracens had and they ended up with Joel and the Barbarians game was to give it a go. That’s me paraphrasing so might not be strictly true. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Weird that he played a match for the Barbarians, anyone know how that came about? 

Pretty sure the RFU were after him to switch and that was a carrot. If I remember correctly they thought both Sam and Joel Tomkins were switching codes but Wigan used the money they got for Joel to keep Sam.

I think he's been a terrific player, perhaps never quite got to the level I thought he was going to when him and Kyle Eastmond played in the halves against Australia in 2009, but he wasn't far short. He didn't mention what his off field role will be but can see him developing into a really good coach

• Like 3

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Pretty sure the RFU were after him to switch and that was a carrot. If I remember correctly they thought both Sam and Joel Tomkins were switching codes but Wigan used the money they got for Joel to keep Sam.

I think he's been a terrific player, perhaps never quite got to the level I thought he was going to when him and Kyle Eastmond played in the halves against Australia in 2009, but he wasn't far short. He didn't mention what his off field role will be but can see him developing into a really good coach

He will be involved in the recruitment process and will help the Dragons in a marketing and ambassador capacity, by attending certain meetings and functions for the club.

"Occasionally he will help the coaching staff with position specific training and skills. He will also have a vital role in educating the Dragons' young professionals and ensuring the strong club culture evolves."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

It was the RU equivalent of the Americans buying London Bridge thinking it was Tower Bridge... the Raras bought the wrong Tomkins. 

• Haha 1

Quality player who was electric with the ball in his hands as a young gun.

And a quality player who reinvented his game to become a creator and organiser later in his career.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

43 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

It was the RU equivalent of the Americans buying London Bridge thinking it was Tower Bridge... the Raras bought the wrong Tomkins. 

[pedant mode]Except that the bridge story was never true. The American entrepreneur who bought London Bridge knew exactly what he wanted and what he got was what he paid for. [/pedant mode]

It's more like when St Helens paid good money for Stuart Evans or London signed Spud Carroll.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sam, when fully fit, has been great for the game. Some of the injuries he's had to deal with have knocked huge holes in his career.

Milton Keynes' finest professional Rugby League player! Although I suspect he's also Milton Keynes' worst too, as of 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

[pedant mode]Except that the bridge story was never true. The American entrepreneur who bought London Bridge knew exactly what he wanted and what he got was what he paid for. [/pedant mode]

It's more like when St Helens paid good money for Stuart Evans or London signed Spud Carroll.

That's ok - neither was my Tomkins story

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

He mentioned why on the High Performance Podcast. He actually wanted to try Union as he felt he’d achieved what he could in League. Saracens wanted both him and Joel, Wigan wanted more money for Sam than Saracens had and they ended up with Joel and the Barbarians game was to give it a go. That’s me paraphrasing so might not be strictly true. 

I think Sam being bored in the Barbarians match must been a factor in keeping his as a league player.

• Like 1

If only that foot injury hadn't destroyed his second NRL season. Even in his first season, this sort of thing was happening.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quite lengthy interview on the Dragons' website.  Here is the link:

Dragons Catalans › News › 2023 › March › Sam Tomkins Interview (catalansdragons.com)

Yet another young, talented referee leaves the game early.

What has Ganson done this time? 

• Haha 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?