Big Announcement

Roughyed Rats

7 minutes ago, Bert Street said:

If they have security of tenure on a longish lease that makes the club worth something and Mr Hamilton has the possibility to either sell up or get other people on board.

My clear preference would be for the former as he has never demonstrated, for all his bloodymindedness in keeping us going against the odds, the ability to work with others.

Difficult to disagree with that assessment. The club needs a strong and diverse board of directors that can take advantage of the BP opportunity.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, tandle said:

hi roughyed no way will oldham rugby ever play at boundary park under the stewardship of ch.

Well.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Am I right in thinking Joe royle's son was once a director at Wigan athletic and so would have a good understanding of sharing with a rugby club?

Yep. One of the other Latic's directors was actually Chairman of Wigan Warriors as well I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff for the Roughyeds, hopefully get crowds on the right side of 1k with a bit of promotion, buzz, and management. No guarantees of anything however when you look at Doncaster and Rochdale.

I personally hope Mr Rothwell is tempted to buy the club in the future, I think the multi-sports club model is the future in this country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Without sounding like a party pooper weren't we in a similar position several years ago.

Then the council moved in spent a fortune financing a plastic pitch on the proviso the Yeds would play there. It all went sour and we were kicked out and became gypsies playing anywhere where they would have us.

What are the guarantees it won't happen again?

9 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Interesting in the report, the statement came from a “club spokesperson ”, not Chris Hamilton which is the norm?

Don't read anything into that.  The post originated from the council, there'll be a more club centric post as a follow up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

Without sounding like a party pooper weren't we in a similar position several years ago.

Then the council moved in spent a fortune financing a plastic pitch on the proviso the Yeds would play there. It all went sour and we were kicked out and became gypsies playing anywhere where they would have us.

The only time Latics have had a plastic pitch was pre-1991 way before the Yeds moved in, and though the council shafted the club with Watersheddings, it has only ever been OAFC's decision to boot ORLFC from BP. I would imagine part of the agreement between OAFC and the OMB for funding for the new hybrid pitch was on account of a fairly lengthy lease with ORLFC. Rothwell is a good local man keen on having the Yeds there and director Darren Royle (the unit on the right of the picture) has experience with ground sharing as CEO of Wigan Warriors. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

Surely we now need to build and develop the club, rather than be “saved”. I am sure that a robust business plan must have been developed for the council to buy into this 

The word 'onwards' seems key. It does not specify a time, but must at least be for the lifetime of the pitch. There is, presumably something more formal.

What happens next with the club is vital. It really is the last chance. If we just carry on hand to mouth then Latics and the Council will lose patience.

We need to thrive and grow.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that this the start of an exciting new era for the Club. There seems to be more enthusiasm behind the scenes than there has been for a while with recruitment underway for a new women's team and the revival of Roary's Pride. The collaboration between Latics, Roughyeds and the Council, along with BP becoming a community facility should raise the profile of the Club and maybe, just maybe it will attract new supporters and encourage the return of lapsed supporters. And if the win over Skolars has set the stage for the rest of the season maybe even the whingers will have something positive to say by the end of the year.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WellWisher said:

Fingers crossed that this the start of an exciting new era for the Club. There seems to be more enthusiasm behind the scenes than there has been for a while with recruitment underway for a new women's team and the revival of Roary's Pride. The collaboration between Latics, Roughyeds and the Council, along with BP becoming a community facility should raise the profile of the Club and maybe, just maybe it will attract new supporters and encourage the return of lapsed supporters. And if the win over Skolars has set the stage for the rest of the season maybe even the whingers will have something positive to say by the end of the year.

I think you've hit the nail on the head WW. An exciting new era is exactly what's required. A fresh start. The move to BP will definitely see some supporters return and hopefully we can attract new ones as well. Let's also wait and see what other announcements are made soon. Exciting times.

• Like 2

The number one priority now, is to get into the championship. Then consolidate the club , just like Featherstone and Halifax (proper RL) as a championship team. That'll take at least 3 years. Then, only then , think about considering ourselves as contenders in the vain of Leigh or Widnes. I mean, they're the size of Royton or Chadderton. As for pretenders like York or Newcastle? No real history! Remember Joseph Platt, son of Oldham, father of Rugby League. Oldham, the first home, for the first 35 years, of Rugby League. COYY. 

• Like 7