Big Announcement

Roughyed Rats

Fantastic news! I’d been wondering what Fordy would be up to next!

What a turnaround for professional sport in Oldham compared to where we were 10 months ago.

Both clubs now under the ownership/management of people with long standing and heartfelt connections, not just to their respective clubs, but to the town.

After all the suffering we’ve been through, lets hope this is a long awaited turning point and a springboard for both clubs to kick on to better things and all the excitement that would bring to the Oldham public, not to mention the catalyst successful clubs can be for other positive changes in the town.

Brilliant to see that both clubs now appear to have a friendly and mutually supportive relationship, which lets be honest, hasn’t always been the case in the past. I’m pleased to see how well received both today’s news, and the return to BP, have been on the Latics forum, along with expressions of hope for better times for the Yeds.

I also see quite a few posts on there suggesting the merits of some kind of deal on dual season tickets, and some expressions of interest in buying if such a thing is offered. As one of the few who used to regularly watch both before i moved out of the country, i’d have snapped one up for sure if i still lived there. Not sure how viable it would be, or how much interest there’d be, but seems like an idea worth considering. If not for season tickets then one off games here and there at least.

At very least you’d like to think the commercial departments of both clubs will foster a close relationship to investigate whether there is mutual benefit in some joint projects/promotions whatever they may be.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, i’ll raise a glass to this news in the pub later tonight, and i look forward to getting to a couple of games next time i visit

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Can anyone put names to faces? Thanks. (Obviously Mike Ford and CH and the Head Coach, but the others?)

Interesting to read about developing Merton, what's going on there? (***Edit... article referred to Melrose playing fields, not Merton. I was having a "senior moment" there. 😀)

I always thought there must be some people prepared to come forward and rescue the rugby club, but with each passing year that seemed increasingly unlikely.....until now! I do wonder if the stir now created by the IMG helped bring these backers together as surely it was now, or never. 

Rescued from the abyss would be an appropriate way of describing what has just happened.

Edited by Pigeon Lofter
  • Like 2

I think its what most Oldham supporters have wished for for a long time now.

I have read a lot of criticism on hear about Mr Hamilton but he was at the club for I guess 20 odd years - so whatever the criticism his heart (probably his pocket also) where in the right place.

So good luck and I hope it all works out well, would be great to play Oldham next season in the Championship assuming my team Swinton can stay up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

1 hour ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Am I asleep? Am I dreaming? If yes, please don't wake me up.

1 hour ago, Roughyed Rats said:

I can hardly find the words myself. Just brilliant news.

My cheek and jaw muscles are killing me. I just can't get rid of the smile. Think I've got lock jaw. 😸

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Congratulations on the good news for the club, diehards and the town....it has sure been a long time coming.  Any idea when the move to BP (perhaps Rothwell Palace?) will take place?  Meantime, I am sure/hope Hornets on Good Friday will provide an appropriate response!

• Like 1

Great news . I am looking for my old scalf that I have not used in 25 years.  Thanks to the new owners, we hopefully have a proper club to follow again.  There are many people like me who refused to follow the club how it has been run.  I for one will now return. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll never forget when I worked on market st in Manchester. About 1987. I'd got my copy of The Rugby Leaguer from WHSmiths in the arndale. There was an interview with Leigh's scrum half Mike Ford. It was love letter to Oldham. He only wanted to play for Oldham. When he was a lad and  Wigan offered him terms he contacted Oldham to see if they were interested , but for some reason they weren't. Even though he he was playing for Leigh his heart was Oldham. The season after he signed for us. And what a fantastic player he was. He's a Yed through and through!

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I'll never forget when I worked on market st in Manchester. About 1987. I'd got my copy of The Rugby Leaguer from WHSmiths in the arndale. There was an interview with Leigh's scrum half Mike Ford. It was love letter to Oldham. He only wanted to play for Oldham. When he was a lad and  Wigan offered him terms he contacted Oldham to see if they were interested , but for some reason they weren't. Even though he he was playing for Leigh his heart was Oldham. The season after he signed for us. And what a fantastic player he was. He's a Yed through and through!

That.  Exactly that.  I was there today and Mike recounted the same story.  

I'm buzzing tonight.  Proper buzzing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

When he was a lad and  Wigan offered him terms he contacted Oldham to see if they were interested , but for some reason they weren't.

He told this story at the press conference this morning. What he was saying is he wants every local lad to want to play for Oldham rather than other clubs. He wants them to be desperate to sign and play for us because we are  ( or will be) one of the top clubs

• Like 4

I have to say that, after more than 25 years (a full quarter of a century !) since we left our beloved Watersheddings, this fantastic news seems difficult to believe and has yet to sink in,

What more can I say except "I'm proud to be a Roughyed".

• Like 2

This is great news for RL across G.M.

Couple of question -(apologies I’m late to this great news):

Is the ground now council owned?

Are the Football and rugby clubs true equal partners?

Just need something similar at the AJ Bell for Salford and the sport across GM has truly had a boost…

Thank you

It really is wonderful stuff. It doesn’t seem quite real yet.

My first games were as a small child in the nineties at Sheddings, followed by the Super League days at Boundary Park, all core memory stuff. I’ve not been able to go to lots of games in the years since, especially since moving out of the borough, but I've managed a handful a season in the last few years.

The change of ownership and the move back to BP is huge for the club and sport in the town. It’s a world away from where it was just 10 months ago. If attendances can nudge above 1000 consistently (which is very achievable IMO) there’s no reason we can’t be a solid Championship team within 3 years or so.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Is the ground now council owned?

Are the Football and rugby clubs true equal partners?

The ground and stadium is now completely owned by the the Rothwell Family who own the football club. They are lifelong latics fans. 

The rugby club have a long rem agreement to play at the ground. 

the council got their part have invested in a state of the art £1m pitch

Edited by sheddingswasus
Spelling
  • Like 2